Jozy Aldiore expresses his wish for another shot at the Premier League

5 Comments

After a disappointing loan spell with Hull City in the 2009/10 season, many thought Jozy Altidore was a Premier League bust.

The striker, then just 20 years old, scored a single goal in 28 appearances.  16 of those were starts, but he made it the full 90 minutes in just three of those.

Now, with his stock as high as it’s ever been and rumors flying left and right about where he’ll play next season, he’s made it clear he wants another shot in England.

And this time he knows it will be different.

“I have come a long way since then. I am almost a different player and I have learned a lot” Altidore told the Chronicle.  “It is a fantastic league, anyone will tell you that. If you look at everything, the Premier League is probably the biggest league in the world. Everybody knows that and it would be a pleasure to play in a league like that again.”

Sunderland are the English club most publicly after his signature, but other than speculation nothing has been made known involving his final whereabouts.

(MORE: Sunderland in for Jozy Altidore?)

Depending on AZ Alkmaar’s willingness to sell, it’s been said he could leave for a bid in the range of £4-7 million ($6-10.6 million).  That’s a relatively steep price for a young striker with just one outstanding season and an ugly Premier League past.  However, the key for Altidore is he’s improved with every passing year, and if his performances with the national team say anything, it’s that he can play on multiple stages.

AZ are looking to sell a number of players, but if some leave that could mean others would become more valuable for them to hold onto and make attempt to make another run at the KNVB Cup.

(MORE: AZ Alkmaar to sell second-leading goalscorer – what does this mean for Jozy Altidore?)

Much depends on the attitude of his current club, but clearly Jozy would relish an opportunity to prove the naysayers wrong – if there are any left after this summer – and succeed where he failed a few years ago.

WATCH: Spain’s Saul smashes a shot past Italy’s Donnarumma

Leave a comment

Since returning from a loan at Rayo Vallecano, Saul Niguez has been a somewhat under the radar star at Atletico Madrid.

Coming off his best season with Atleti, the 22-year-old Saul is making an even bigger name for himself at the U-21 EURO this summer.

Spain’s Saul scored a hat trick past Gianluigi Donnarumma and Italy on Tuesday, and the second goal was laced with venom.

Getting onto the ball from 30-plus yards out, Saul smashed his shot with enough power that the ball barely had occasion to rotate.

Saul is under contract at the Vicente Calderon through 2022, and has three caps for Spain’s senior team, too. He was rated Atleti’s third-best performer by WhoScored this season.

Men in Blazers podcast: Transfer window, USMNT at Gold Cup, RBNY-NYCFC

Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Men In Blazers are back with their latest podcast, and the boys are hitting club soccer here and abroad as well as Bruce Arena’s men in the red, white, and blue.

Rog and Davo break down transfer window activity, rumored and real; get a heat check on the USMNT heading into the Gold Cup; and recap the (Ray) Hudson River Derby.

All of the MiB content — pods, videos and stories can be seen here, but to really stay in touch, follow, subscribe, click here:

Subscribe to the podcast OR to update your iTunes subscriptions ]

Click here for the RSS feed ]

Agent Jorge Mendes appears before judge in Falcao tax probe

Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MADRID (AP) Football agent Jorge Mendes has told a Spanish judge that he had no involvement in the financial planning of client Radamel Falcao, who has been accused by a state prosecutor of tax fraud.

Mendes, who is not accused of any wrongdoing, appeared before a judge in a Madrid court for 45 minutes on Tuesday as part of the probe into whether there are grounds for the case against Falcao to go to trial.

[ MORE: Lampard linked with manager opening ]

Mendes’ agency, Gestifute, released a statement saying that “neither he nor his employees have ever intervened in the creation of corporate structures for his clients and much less provided any tax advice to them.”

Last month, a state prosecutor accused Falcao of defrauding Spain’s Tax Office of around $6 million from 2012-13. The alleged unpaid taxes were from money the Colombian player made from endorsement deals through image rights, not from the salary he was then being paid from club Atletico Madrid. Falcao now plays for Monaco.

Arfield, Adekugbe on Canada’s Gold Cup roster

Photo by Nigel French/PA Images via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Burnley midfielder Scott Arfield and on-loan Brighton defender Samuel Adekugbe are among the players who will represent Canada in this summer’s Gold Cup.

Arfield, 28, was born in Scotland and earned the first of seven Canada caps in 2016, and Adekugbe returns to Vancouver from a year-long loan to Brighton and Hove Albion on June 30.

The pair join nine MLS players, two NASL player, and a USL player, with the rest of the group based outside North America.

[ MORE: Lampard linked with manager opening ]

Notably, Orlando City players Will Johnson and Cyle Larin were not called up by coach Octavio Zambrano.

Goalkeepers: Maxime Crepeau (Montreal), Milan Borjan (MKS Korona Kielce), Jayson Leutwiler (Shrewsbury Town)

Defenders: Samuel Adekugbe (Brighton and Hove Albion), Fraser Aird, Manjrekar James (Vasas Budapest), Dejan Jakovic (New York Cosmos), Adam Straith (FC Edmonton), Steven Vitoria (Lechia Gdansk), Marcel de Jong (Vancouver Whitecaps)

Midfielders: Scott Arfield (Burnley), Patrice Bernier (Montreal), Alphonso Davies (Vancouver), Raheem Edwards (Toronto FC), Junior Hoilett (Cardiff City), Mark-Anthony Kaye (Louisville City FC), Anthony Jackson-Hamel (Montreal), Jonathan Osorio (Toronto), Michael Petrasso (QPR), Samuel Piette (CD Izarra), Russell Teibert (Vancouver)

Forwards: Lucas Cavallini (CA Penarol), Tosaint Ricketts (Toronto)