Now that Keisuke Honda and AC Milan have, according to Sky Italia, come to an agreement on personal terms, it’s just a matter of when the Japanese international will join the Rossoneri. With six months left on his contract in Russia, Honda is free to sign a pre-contract deal with anybody. Now it’s just a matter of whether he moves before his deal expires in December or he plays out the first half of the season for CSKA Moscow.
There is another reported caveat before Honda can move to Milan. Adriano Galliani apparently needs to find a new home for Brazilian attacker Robinho, a player whose slowly become an albatross on the Milan payroll since his 2010 acquisition from Manchester City. Milan, however, seem confident that Santos, a team that has already had Robinho for two spells, would be willing to pay north of $10 million to get him back. (PS, Milan, what are you waiting for? Sell!)
If that happens, Milan may be more inclined to meet CSKA’s asking price, reportedly just over $9 million to let Honda tack on an extra six months to a 4-year, $13 million deal. Expect that asking price to go down, though. To some’s eyes, $9 million is too much for a 27-year-old who can join the team in December for free. The only danger for Milan is Honda potentially being cup-tied for Champions League, with CSKA having also qualified for the competition.
Regardless, expect Mario Balotelli to be one happier Rossonero at hearing this news. Likewise, expect Stephan El Shaarawy and M’Baye Niang to crack a smile at the idea of Honda slotted in behind Balotelli, pulling the strings at the top of a midfield triangle. It’s exactly the kind of presence they need after Balotelli’s January arrival (the extent to which a team that surged to third can be said to have needed anything).
For Honda, it’s the type of move that’s been a long time coming. Though he has battled injuries since moving to Russia from Holland’s VVV in 2010, the time’s he’s spent on the field has shown a player capable of performing in one of the few leagues that can offer a higher quality of play. Italy’s Serie A may be one of those leagues.
Now we wait and see how Honda will perform. But does that wait end in August? Or January?
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld a two-year ban for CSKA Moscow midfielder Roman Eremenko for a positive test for cocaine.
[ MORE: Morata signs five-year contract at Chelsea ]
CAS says the ban imposed by UEFA was “appropriate” and dismissed the Finland international’s appeal.
[ MORE: Vertonghen says Spurs need to “level up” like rest of PL contenders ]
The ban will expire on Oct. 5, 2018, when Eremenko will be 31.
Eremenko tested positive after playing in a Champions League game for CSKA Moscow against Bayer Leverkusen last September. The 2-2 result was not affected despite Eremenko scoring CSKA’s second goal.
Born in Moscow, Eremenko grew up in Finland and has represented its national team 73 times.
NEW YORK (AP) Howard Webb says he would have given Dutch midfielder Nigel De Jong a red card in the 2010 World Cup final if a video assistant referee had been in place.
The retired English referee showed De Jong a yellow card in the 28th minute for his karate kick into the chest of Spain’s Xabi Alonso. Hired in March to oversee video technology for professional soccer in the U.S. and Canada, Webb held a media seminar Friday ahead of its Aug. 5 launch in Major League Soccer.
Webb says: “Yes, it was a clear red card. It was a clear and obvious error on my part not to send the player off, and VAR would have been able to recommend a review to me, and I would have been able to make the right call.”
Now 46, Webb was a Premier League referee from 2003-14. He worked the Champions League and World Cup finals in 2010, became director of referees at the Saudi Arabian Football Federation, and started in March as manager of video assistant referee operations for the Professional Referee Organization.
The game in 100 words (or less): Friday night’s effort at Orlando City Stadium wasn’t the prettiest for either side but Atlanta United will gladly take three points from the fixture as the Central Florida venue proved to be a fortress once more. The Lions were far superior in their attacking threats throughout the match, testing USMNT and Atlanta goalkeeper Brad Guzan on multiple occasions. However, it was Hector Villalba that proved to be the difference when he blasted a long-distance effort to beat Joe Bendik in the 86th minute. Atlanta extends its unbeaten streak to four matches with Friday’s decision, keeping Tata Martino’s side in fourth place in the Eastern Conference, while Orlando City moves into fifth.
Three moments that mattered
36′ — Guzan stands tall, denies Rivas — Carlos Rivas thought he scorched this one (and he did…), but Brad Guzan acted like it was nothing as he held his ground to make the stop.
39′ — Spector gets ripped off by Guzan — The U.S. goalkeeper is at it again… What a save!
86′ — Villalba unleashes stunner to propel Atlanta — Sometimes it just takes one good hit as a striker.
[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage | Standings | Stats | Schedule ]
Man of the match: Brad Guzan
Goalscorers: Hector Villalba (86′)
Fresh off of completing a record deal to help bolster the club’s back line this summer, Manchester City is back at it with the Premier League season looming.
[ MORE: Alvaro Morata signs five-year contract at Chelsea ]
The Citizens are reportedly on the brink of signing Monaco left back Benjamin Mendy to yet another world-record fee — which will total over $67 million.
Confirmation of the deal has yet to be announced by either team, but L’Equipe is reporting that the Citizens are hot on the 23-year-old’s trail in adding to their pricy back four.
Manager Pep Guardiola and Man City have not been shy readjusting their defensive unit over the past year, adding expensive first-team choices John Stones and Kyle Walker.