FIFA senior vice-president and president of Argentina FA Julio Grondona has confirmed interest in having the 2030 World Cup joint-hosted by Argentina and Uruguay.
The 2030 competition would mark 100 years of World Cup play, with the first-ever World Cup hosted by Uruguay in 1930 and the final saw Uruguay defeat Argentina 4-2.
Grondona confirmed the world soccer governing body were vastly intrigued by the prospect of celebrating 100 years with the significance of the locales.
“FIFA wishes to celebrate the World Cup’s 100 years in Argentina and Uruguay, I can confirm that,” the Argentine told Radio 10 in Argentina. “(An agreement) has been signed by the two associations (AFA and Uruguay’s AUF). What will we do?… We’ll see but surely something of quality.”
Only one previous World Cup has been co-hosted by two or more nations in the past, with Japan and South Korea co-hosting the 2002 competition. That would still be possible, but the rules have changed since, with FIFA deeming one governing body must oversee any future co-hosted competition. In 2002, Japan and South Korea both used their own governing bodies to jointly oversee the World Cup.
According to the Reuters report, a joint Argentine-Uruguayan bid for 2030 would be backed by the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).
Following the controversy of the vote to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup bid, any future World Cup hosts must be awarded by a vote of the entire 209-person FIFA congress, rather than the 24-person executive committee.
Grondona made headlines in 2011 when he said following the Qatar bid that he voted for the tiny Arabian country over the United States. The 81-year-old Argentine stated his reason for the vote was that he believed a vote cast for the U.S. was like a vote cast for England, something he could not condone due to his disdain for England’s control over the Falkland Islands, which Argentina has laid claim to for a long time.
Kevin De Bruyne won’t be the main man at Old Trafford this time.
[ MORE: Rooney to leave? ]
De Bruyne, 25, starred in Manchester City’s 2-1 win at bitter rivals Manchester United last month in the Premier League but ahead of the EFL Cup last 16 clash between Manchester’s two clubs, Pep Guardiola confirmed that the Belgian international will play no part after picking up a calf injury in the draw with Southampton on Sunday.
Speaking to the media, Guardiola also confirmed that Pablo Zabaleta will be out, plus Vincent Kompany will likely play a part.
“Kevin, no way, he cannot play,” Guardiola said. “Pablo I think cannot. Vincent I think he can but I don’t know today. I need to see training and regeneration [before making a decision].”
Guardiola also confirmed that he expects to give some of his squad players a chance to play despite the desire to win the big derby game.
“We are going to rotate. Some are going to play. I need to see the players today in training and after we will decide the team,” Guardiola added.
City’s squad is still ridiculously strong with the likes of Nolito, Fabian Delph, Kelechi Iheanacho and Aleix Garcia all set to play a big part in the cup tie.
The Daily Telegraph has struck again.
A few weeks after it’s investigation into corruption in English soccer unveiled plenty of wrongdoing, some of which led to Sam Allardyce stepping down as England manager, The Daily Telegraph has some more damaging evidence.
This time Watford Football Club is at the center of the allegations.
According to a report on Tuesday, Watford submitted forged bank documents back in 2014 when Gino Pozzo became the sole owner of the club from his father, Giampaolo, at the beginning of the 2014-15 campaign which saw them win promotion to the Premier League. The bank documents via HSBC (the Telegraph claims that Watford did not bank with that company at the time) were used to show proof of funding that Pozzo could bankroll Watford.
The English Football League has opened an investigation into the matter, along with an internal one from Watford, and if any wrongdoing is found then the Hornets could be subject to a fine and a points deduction.
An EFL spokesman told the Telegraph:
“We can confirm, following receipt of information from The Telegraph, that we immediately commenced a disciplinary investigation into serious allegations made against Watford Football Club. The club has been formally contacted by the EFL and is now required to provide a full and detailed response to the allegations. Once that response is received, it will be fully considered by the EFL and appropriate action will be taken under our rules and regulations.”
Watford has until next week to respond to the EFL.
The Telegraph also reports that just before the HSBC letter was accepted by the EFL as proof of funds, an earlier letter from Credit Suisse (a bank the Pozzo family and the parent company which owns Watford, Hornets Investment, did use) was rejected by the EFL and that would have put a hold up in the sale of the club.
Wayne Rooney‘s future at Manchester United seems increasingly uncertain.
[ MORE: Tight title race? ]
A report in the Sun newspaper states that United’s captain and talisman, 31, has been told by manager Jose Mourinho that he can leave if it’s regular game time he wants.
Rooney hasn’t started any of United’s last four Premier League games and was left out of their squad for the 4-0 thumping at Chelsea last weekend with a small injury.
Per the report, Mourinho has spoken to Rooney’s advisers and has told them he can not guarantee the England national team captain a starting role.
There’s no doubting Rooney’s huge impact at United over the past 12 years since he arrived at Old Trafford. He’s won five Premier League titles, a UEFA Champions League title, two League Cups and an FA Cup.
Rooney is also just three goals shy of breaking the all-time club record for number of goals scored — he has scored 246 times for United in all competitions — which Sir Bobby Charlton has held for over 40 years and although he has this season plus two more on his huge contract, it seems like he’s reaching a major crossroads in his career.
Even if he is willing to stick around for the final years of his playing days and get stuck into a bit-par role a la Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, you know that Rooney will still make an impact.
The Englishman is stuck in a rut but so are United.
If fit, it would be very surprising to not see him feature heavily in the next few days as United host bitter rivals Manchester City in the EFL last 16 on Wednesday and then Burnley in the Premier League on Saturday (Watch live, 10 a.m. ET on NBCSN and online via NBC Sports).
VALENCIA, Spain (AP) Antoine Griezmann has won the best player award in the Spanish league for last season.
The Atletico Madrid forward was announced as the winner in a ceremony organized by La Liga in Valencia on Monday. The Frenchman was not at the ceremony.
[ MORE: Ballon d’Or omissions ]
Atletico also had Diego Simeone win the best coach award, Diego Godin earn the best defender award, and Jan Oblak clinch best goalkeeper.
Barcelona’s Lionel Messi was selected as the best forward, and Real Madrid’s Luka Modric as the best midfielder.
Team captains voted for the top players in each position, while a data-analysis system generated the best player award.
Barcelona won the Spanish league last season, ahead of Real Madrid and Atletico.