Nathan Redmond signs with Norwich City – Can the 19 year old make an impact at Carrow Road?

Leave a comment

Norwich have signed winger Nathan Redmond to a four year deal from Birmingham City. 

The 19 year old, who played 42 times for the Blues last season, was transferred for a fee believed to be slightly in excess of £2 million, with a series of add ons that could make the agreement worth up to £3.2 million.

Redmond will be no stranger to Canaries boss, Chris Hughton, who gave the current England U21 international his first start when the pair were together at Birmingham in 2010.

“[Hughton] was very influential on my career at Birmingham,” Redmond said. “He gave me the chance to play and the chance to express myself every time that I stepped on to the field and I feel like on the bigger stage he’ll do exactly the same thing. I’d probably say I’ve played some of my best football under him so far.”

Hughton reciprocated the pleasantries. “[Redmond] is a player that was of interest to us for some time and the situation has now come about that we can get him on our terms. He’s someone we can bring into the forward areas and primarily has played on either wing in his career so far, but can also play off the front.”

Redmond is Norwich’s third signing of the summer, following a £8.6 million move for striker Ricky von Wolfswinkle from Sporting Lisbon and £1.3 million move for left-back Javier Garrido. 

Breaking into the Canaries Starting XI could prove difficult for Redmond, as he will battle Anthony Pilkington for his spot on the left and Robert Snodgrass on the right.

Complicating matters even further is that if, as Hughton says, Redmond is to line up in the role of supporting striker, he will have to take that position from creative playmaker Wes Hoolahan. 

If deploying a 4-5-1, Hughton could, however, move Pilkington into more of a central role and insert Redmond on the left side.

With his dribbling ability, willingness to take on defenders and vision to find the right pass, Redmond could prove a key component to von Wolfswinkle’s adjustment to life in the Premier League.



Ferguson still being asked about Moyes: “We chose a good football man”

David Moyes Alex Ferguson
AP Photo/Martin Rickett/PA
Leave a comment

In some ways absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it seems Sir Alex Ferguson‘s life after Manchester United has been filled with second guessing.

Whether the sales of Paul Pogba and Gerard Pique or the appointment of David Moyes, “Fergie” apparently can’t rest on his title-winning laurels.

[ MORE: Tax evasion charges dropped against Messi, but not his father ]

One thing that seems to bug him more than anything, though, is the idea that he hand-picked David Moyes to be his successor, and should be responsible for his failings.

In a new documentary, Ferguson both defends the appointment of Moyes and explains the process behind his choice.

From the BBC:

“I don’t think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man,” Ferguson says. “Unfortunately it didn’t work for David.

“Jose Mourinho was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis Van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.”

The article also makes another key point, according to Ferguson: the manager claims he only gave United a few months notice that he’d be stepping down. That certainly didn’t provide a lot of lead time to secure a big boss.

What do you make it of it? If your answer is, “When can we stop talking about Moyes and United?” I tend to be with you, but it’s a talking point.

Tax evasion charges against Messi dropped; Case vs father continues

FILE - In this Sept. 27, 2013 file photo, Barcelona F.C. star Lionel Messi, left, arrives at a court to answer questions in a tax fraud case in Gava, near Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona prosecutors are calling for the arrest of Messi's father in a tax fraud case. Prosecutors have cleared Messi of wrongdoing but are seeking an 18-month prison sentence for his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, for allegedly defrauding Spain's tax office of 4 million euros ($4.5 million) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti, File)
AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi will not face charges that he and his father defrauded the government in millions of unpaid taxes, though his father is not so lucky.

Messi’s father, Jorge, could face 18 months in jail and an approximate $2.25 million fine despite a voluntary payment of $5.5 million in 2013 to “correct” the missed taxes.

[ WATCH: Hilarious spoof pegs Messi, Ronaldo as “Friends” ]

The Barcleona star had plead ignorance to the charges, something that failed to impress prosecutors. But, it apparently worked out in his favor on Tuesday.

From the BBC:

Prosecutors allege that Jorge avoiding paying tax on his son’s earnings by using offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay between 2007 and 2009.

Messi’s lawyers argued that the player had “never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing” the contracts, El Pais newspaper reported.