Israel v England - UEFA European U21 Championships: Group A

Ian Holloway won’t ask Manchester United to loan Wilfried Zaha

Leave a comment

Crystal Palace boss Ian Holloway will not try to sign Wilfried Zaha on loan, claiming he wants to give the young star a chance at Manchester United.

Holloway explained that he would not ask Manchester United manager David Moyes to loan him the 20 year old. “I don’t think for one minute I’d even consider asking David Moyes about signing him right now,” Holloway told talkSPORT.

“I’m sure I know Moyes that well that if there was a club in the Premier League that Wilfried Zaha wanted to play for, if it wasn’t Manchester United, I’m sure it would be us. So, I’m sure the phone would ring.”

On the surface this seems like a very admirable stance by Holloway.

The much-loved manager recognizes that Zaha is good enough not only to play at United but to crack the Starting XI on a regular basis and make a real impact. To deny Zaha that opportunity would feel wrong.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with noting your interest, especially considering that Palace are likely to have a relegation battle on their hands.

Zaha was a major reason Palace was promoted to the Premier League in the first place. Not only did the winger dominate the regular season but, by scoring both goals in the 2-0 victory over Brighton, he single-handedly sent brought the Eagles to the Championship Playoff Final. To not even talk to Moyes about the possibility of a loan deal, therefore seems a bit silly.

As Holloway said, it is entirely possible that the two managers enjoy a close enough relationship that he does not need to ask Moyes. But by at least noting your interest to the United manager, Holloway secures that Palace will be Zaha’s destination if Moyes decides to loan him out.

Plus, the belt and suspenders approach will make it a lot harder on United when another relegation-threatened club that possesses some serious financial backing (ahem, Cardiff City) shows up on Moyes’ doorstep with a £1 million loan loan offer.

Stranger things have happened.



Sunderland confirm resignation of manager Dick Advocaat

SUNDERLAND, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 03:  Dick Advocaat manager of Sunderland looks on prior to the Barclays Premier League match between Sunderland and West Ham United at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Steve Welsh/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

With rumors swirling of his resignation, Sunderland have confirmed this morning that Dick Advocaat has left his post as Sunderland manager with zero financial compensation despite the protests of the chairman.

Advocaat came on in March as an emergency signing, successfully saving Sunderland from relegation with a solid run of form to finish the season. The 68-year-old Dutchman pondered at length this summer if he wished to continue on, with his wife reportedly urging him to step down, but he chose to continue on with the new season after successful persuasion from the front office.

Unfortunately, things have not gone as planned, with Sunderland sitting 19th in the table, only above Newcastle on goal differential and without a single win on the season. They’ve conceded a whopping 18 goals so far this season through eight league matches.

“I have made the decision to go after only eight games as I felt it was important to give everyone time turn things around – like we did last year,” Advocaat said upon his departure. “I am thankful to the chairman for understanding my feelings and I remain on good terms with everyone at the club.

“I wish Ellis [Short], Lee [Congerton], all of the staff, players and of course the supporters, who made me feel so welcome here, the very best of luck for the rest of the season. I have some wonderful memories to take with me and I hope I will return to see everybody again in the future.”

“I am truly saddened by Dick’s decision,” chairman Ellis Short said, “but I respect him for his honesty and for doing what he feels is right for the club. He is a man of integrity and a true football person. He was hugely respectful of the club in taking this decision and he acted 100% in our best interests. It is also testament to his character that he has forgone any kind of a financial settlement, something which is very unusual in football.”

Meanwhile, the Black Cats have dipped into what is becoming a perennial cycle, making a managerial change for the fourth time in the last four seasons.

Rumors are swirling that a host of experienced Premier League managers could be up for the job, including the currently unemployed Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp. Other linked names include former Leicester manager Nigel Pearson and current Burnley boss Sean Dyche.

Sepp Blatter’s daughter slams media for ruining her father’s reputation

Leave a comment

Sepp Blatter’s daughter blames the media, not her father, for Sepp’s downfall as the head of FIFA and believes he will not step down until the February congress as he initially announced.

“The media has ruined his reputation,” Corinne Blatter told Swiss newspaper Blick. “Why are they picking on him? What did he do to them? … It’s not just envy. It’s hatred.”

A host of major sponsors, including Coca-Cola, McDonalds and Visa called for Blatter’s immediate resignation as president of FIFA, to which the 79-year-old swiftly rejected. This all came after Blatter was called in by Swiss authorities for questioning after the opening of an investigation surrounding corporate mismanagement charges.

“I was afraid that they now take him away in handcuffs,” Corinne said. “He told me, ‘I must be dreaming.’ A federal policeman assured me that he could after hearing home.”

Blick pressed Corinne on many issues, all of which she defender her father. She refused to comment on many that had to do with the investigation, but did give us this gem when asked how Sepp likes to spend his money.

“He buys shoes and travel bags. He has worked 40 years. His life is modest, without any extravagance. He doesn’t play golf or go sailing.”

Shoes and handbags. What an image.