Atletico Madrid and Barcelona agree to deal for David Villa

1 Comment

David Villa will not be playing in the Premier League this season.

Instead, the 31 year old striker will be taking his talents to Madrid. Atletico Madrid, that is.

Los Colchoneros and Barcelona reached an agreement in principle earlier today that will see Villa head to Spain’s capital on a deal that could cost around £4.4 million ($6.6m).

Atletico will pay Barcelona £1.8 million ($2.7m) this season, £1.7 million ($2.5m) more if Villa stays at Atletico in 2014-15, and £900k ($1.4m) if he extends his contract through 2015-16.

In addition, Barca will retain the rights to 50% of any future transfer on Villa.

Villa will arrive at the Vicente Calderon after three seasons at Barcelona where he scored 33 La Liga goals over the course of 67 appearances. The striker signed for Barca in a £35 million ($52.3m) deal from Valencia, where he spent five seasons scoring 108 goals in 166 league games. Before then Villa enjoyed prolific spells Real Zaragoza and Sporting Gijon.

Atletico will look for Villa to pick up for the loss of Radamel Falcao, who was sold to AS Monaco earlier this summer for a fee of £50 million ($74.7m). While few expect Villa to be able to replicate Falcao’s 28 goal haul of 2012-13, snagging the Spaniard for a mere £4.4 million (if it even gets that high) is a sensational coup for a player of Villa’s ilk.

Not only does Villa remain one of La Liga’s better strikers but he arrives at Atletico with a dearth of Champions League experience, which will come in handy when the squad returns to Europe’s top club contest this fall. Plus, by negotiating such a dirt cheap fee, Diego Simeone’s side has plenty of reserves to buy more players.

One such player could be Fernando Torres.

Chelsea have been widely rumored to be in the market for a new striker, with many believing Torres could be sold back to his boy-hood club, Atletico. If such a deal is struck it would mean the reunion of El Nino-El Guaje, one of Spain’s most heralded goalscoring partnerships.

In the meantime, the Villa signing comes as a major blow to the striker’s main admirer, Tottenham, as well as other pursuers, Arsenal and Liverpool. Spurs balked at the notion of paying Barcelona £12 million ($17.9m) for Villa but were reportedly willing to go as high as £10 million ($14.9m) to sign the striker. Now, they must look elsewhere for a replacement of Jermain Defoe and Emmanuel Adebayor, who reportedly could leave White Hart Lane this summer.

Pessimists will note, however, that Villa is a player who turns 32 years old in December, has no Premier League experience and has arguably not fully recovered from the broken tibia he suffered at a Club World Cup match against Yokohama in December 2011.

Nevertheless, it will be fun to see what kind of damage he can do in Madrid.

 

 

Luan, Gremio looks to dethrone Real Madrid at Club World Cup

AP Photo/Hassan Ammar
Leave a comment

“He’s a wonderful person. He’s got lots of titles, so maybe he can just leave this one to us.”

That’s Gremio youngster Luan after being told Real Madrid star and countryman Marcelo said he has a huge future in the game.

Luan and his teammates could make a lot more noise with a win in Saturday’s Club World Cup final against Real.

[ MORE: Galaxy to acquire Bingham? ]

Gremio edged Pachuca in extra time of its semifinal after Real came back to beat Al Jazira, and now hopes to become just the second non-European club to win the Club World Cup since 2007.

Brazilian clubs won the first three CWCs between 2000-06, but Corinthians claimed the lone Brazilian title since when it beat Chelsea in 2012.

Spanish clubs have won the last three finals, with Real sandwiching two around Barca’s 2015 win over River Plate.

The 24-year-old Luan won Olympic gold with Brazil in 2016, and has two caps with the national team.

Still waiting for these Premier League summer transfers to hit

Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

They seemed like hits at the time, but some significant summer transfer buys are are struggling in the Premier League.

[ MORE: LAFC close to signing third DP ]

Whereas Mohamed Salah, Nemanja Matic, and Alvaro Morata have been solid pickups, and even lesser moves like Kurt Zouma to Stoke and Grzegorz Krychowiak to West Brom have hit the spot, some purchases just have not panned out at their new clubs.

Some aren’t getting playing time, while others aren’t hitting their stride, but here are some moves which just haven’t paid off (yet).

Andre Gray, Watford — The striker has two goals and two assists, but has had problems keeping hold of the ball and has the same amount of goals as defender Daryl Janmaat and midfielder Will Hughes despite playing about 300 percent of their minutes.

Marko Arnautovic, West Ham — The ex-Stoke player was a menace in a midweek draw against Arsenal, but Arnautovic has managed just one goal for the Irons this season. That’s equal to his amount of red cards.

Renato Sanches and Roque Mesa, Swansea City — Sanches hasn’t been able to get into the squad despite being one of the more talked about loans of the summer; Mesa may be coming around in recent weeks, but was an unused sub or not in the squad in 10 of Swans’ first 13.

Jese, Stoke City – The Real Madrid attacker was almost certain to take time to adjust to the Premier League, but his match-winner against Arsenal on Opening Day remains his lone marker.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Liverpool — His deadline day move to join Liverpool, supposedly to play centrally, seemed a head-scratcher. He’s only recently seen consistent minutes in a more central role despite Liverpool having loads of problems there. Maybe that’s on Jurgen Klopp, but we’re still scratching our heads.

Report: Galaxy close to scooping up thrice-capped USMNT keeper

Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The LA Galaxy may be turning to its Cali Clasico rival for a new goalkeeper.

Reportedly denied in its pursuit of longtime Vancouver backstop David Ousted, the Galaxy are said to be close to scooping up thrice-capped USMNT keeper David Bingham from San Jose, according to ESPN.

[ MORE: LAFC close to signing third DP ]

The deal would reportedly cost LA between $200,000 and $250,000 in TAM.

Bingham, 28, lost his starting gig to Clemson product Andrew Tarbell this season, and the latter looks intent on keeping the position.

The Galaxy have not had a long-term answer in goal since Jaime Penedo left the club in 2015 (though 24-year-old Jon Kempin showed some very good things last season). Bingham would be a fine addition for a Galaxy team that hemorrhaged the second-most goals in MLS.

FIFA worried about government interference in Spain

Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Concerned about the independence of the Spanish soccer federation, FIFA said Friday it will send a delegation to the country to investigate government meddling.

FIFA said in a statement written in Spanish that it had recently sent a letter to the federation “expressing our concern for the situation that the federation is going through and reminding (its officials) that, according to the Statutes of FIFA, all member federations must manage their affairs independently and assure that there is no interference by third parties.”

Spanish newspaper El Pais reported earlier Friday that the FIFA letter warned of a possible suspension because of the government’s push to hold elections following the arrest of federation president Angel Maria Villar in July on suspicion of corruption.

[ PL PREVIEW: Chelsea vs. Southampton ]

According to El Pais, FIFA is concerned that the government’s interest in federation elections could be considered outside meddling and break its rules. If the national federation were to be suspended, Spain’s team would not be allowed to play at next year’s World Cup.

FIFA’s statement made no mention of a suspension or other punitive measures.

But the scare was big enough for Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy to say that Spain will not miss soccer’s biggest event.

“I am sure that Spain will go to the World Cup in Russia and that it will win it,” Rajoy said at a news conference in Brussels.

FIFA added in its statement that “in the coming days” it will send a delegation, which will include representatives from UEFA, to Madrid to “observe and analyze the situation” of the Spanish soccer federation.

The federation said in a separate statement that its interim president, Juan Luis Larrea, had spoken with FIFA and UEFA officials at the World Cup draw on Dec. 1 and that he had passed on their “enormous concern” to Spain’s minister of education, culture and sport.

The Spanish federation said it was waiting for the ministry to set a date for a meeting.

Spanish police arrested Villar, his son, and two other soccer officials in July on suspicion of improper management, misappropriation of funds, corruption and falsifying documents.

Villar was replaced by Larrea, the body’s treasurer for three decades. Critics of Villar argue that elections are needed to make a clean start for the institution that has been tarnished by the scandal.