Fiorentina agree to $25.7M fee for Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez

6 Comments

German tabloid Bild has confirmed that Fiorentina have agreed to a fee to bring Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez to Florence.

After weeks of negotiations, the two clubs have reached an agreement whereby Gomez will head to Florence on a four year deal that for a total fee of €20 million ($25.7m).

The first €16 million ($20.6m) of that fee will be immediately paid to Munich while an additional €4 million ($5.1m) will follow in the coming years.

Gomez had been conspicuously absent from Bayern’s most recent friendly matches, which the club had officially reported was due to a knock he received to his foot. Bild is now reporting that the decision to hold Gomez out was actually a security measure to preserve the player’s health before his transfer to the Serie A club.

The deal had been a long time in the making. Following Bayern’s 3-2 victory over Stuttgart in the DFB-Pokal Final, where Gomez scored two goals, the 27 year old announced to his teammates: “That was my last game for Bayern.”

Gomez joined the Bavarian giants from Stuttgart in 2009 for a then record fee of €30 million ($38.5m). After a slow start saw him punch 10 goals in 29 league matches, Gomez exploded in his sophomore season at the Allianz Arena, scoring 28 goals in 32 Bundesliga appearances. He impressed again in 2012-13, grabbing 26 goals in 33 matches.

Problems arose when Bayern signed Mario Mandzukic last summer and Gomez was forced to play second fiddle, appearing in only 21 league contests but managing to score 11 times during that span. With no sign of the situation changing under Pep Guardiola and Gomez eager to solidify his spot on the German National Team ahead of Brazil 2014, both Bayern and the striker were happy for a move to transpire.

Bayern’s major issue was ensuring they received fair value for a striker who many still consider to be one of the world’s best. Fiorentina had been pushing hard to get the deal done for €15 million but Bayern held firm in their resistance, unwilling to give up Gomez for under €20 million.

It is a fee that many consider to be a bargain. How or why no Premier League club – Chelsea or Manchester City, specifically – came in with a firm offer for Gomez’ services is quite surprising. Although not the most skillful striker in the world, he is physically gifted, remains a lethal finisher inside the box, and, at 27 years of age, still has good mileage left in the tank.

With Gomez’ move to Fiorentina look to see whether Viola now turn around and push for the sale of Montenegrin striker Stevan Jovetic, who has been on the radar of a number of clubs including Real Madrid, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Barcelona forward Dembele injured again, out 3 to 4 weeks

Getty Images
Leave a comment

MADRID (AP) Barcelona says Ousmane Dembele is injured again and will be sidelined for up to a month.

The club says the young France forward picked up a hamstring injury in his left leg in the 4-2 win at Real Sociedad on Sunday.

Dembele, signed from Borussia Dortmund last year as a replacement for Neymar, was out for more than three months after rupturing a thigh tendon in his left leg on Sept. 16.

He had played only a few matches since fully recovering from surgery.

Barcelona says the injuries were not related.

The club also said Monday that Andres Iniesta has a right calf problem, but did not say how long the midfielder will be out.

More AP Spanish soccer coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/LaLiga

Transfer Roundup: Chelsea on Sanchez; Malcom to Arsenal; Mignolet to leave

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has responded to reports that the Blues are trying to make a late bid to buy Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal.

[ MORE: Latest transfer news

“I don’t know but I don’t think so,” Conte said when asked by reporters on Tuesday if Chelsea were in talks to buy Sanchez.

Reports on Monday had suggested that although Sanchez’s move to Manchester United was edging closer, Chelsea had entered the race late on.

Sanchez, 29, is said to be involved in a swap deal for Henrikh Mkhitaryan plus cash but even that deal is proving difficult with Mkhitaryan dragging his feet.

Is there hope for Chelsea? It still seems like a long shot and something would have to go drastically wrong with United’s move for Arsenal.


Bordeaux’s president,Stephane Martin, has been speaking about a potential transfer for his star Brazilian forward Malcom to Arsenal, and it appears the Gunners are a long way from buying the 20-year-old.

Malcom’s agent was in London earlier this week, suggesting a deal was close, but that no longer appears to be the case.

Martin had the following to say when discussing Malcom’s future.

“Things are clear with his agents. It has not been extended and secured this summer to give it away this winter,” Martin said. “We never had a discussion with Arsenal. From our point of view, it’s wind. They can always try, but they will have a hard time taking it from us.”

Malcom has taken Ligue 1 by storm this season and has scored seven goals and added five assists.

It is believed he is valued at over $55 million by Bordeaux and both Arsenal and Tottenham were reportedly interested in the deal. However, Arsenal are said to be the main contenders for Malcom and if Alexis Sanchez does leave, as expected, the youngster is seen as a direct replacement.


Simon Mignolet could be on his way out of Liverpool.

The Belgian goalkeeper, 29, has been speaking about his future at the club after he was dropped for the 4-3 win against Manchester City at Anfield on Sunday.

“After the game against Burnley I had a conversation with the coach, among other things about his ongoing rotation. I did not find that a healthy situation for a goalkeeper,” Mignolet said. “My place on the bench against City confirmed his words. I am not satisfied with that (being dropped) but you have to respect a decision of the trainer.”

“After everything that has happened this season, I know where I stand and the situation has become clearer. I have been in such situations before and have always come out stronger. I have to think about my future and the World Cup is coming. This situation should not last too long, that is clear. But I cannot say more about it either.”

Mignolet has started 29 of Liverpool’s 23 PL games but Loris Karius has played in the UEFA Champions League and Mignolet seems frustrated with sharing time with the German goalkeeper.

Where could he go? The likes of Crystal Palace, Southampton and Newcastle could be good landing spots for the Belgian international, while Liverpool have been linked with a move for Stoke’s Jack Butland in the summer, so maybe Mignolet could be part of the deal?

Tevez on $850k per week move to China: “It was a vacation”

Getty Images
1 Comment

Fact: Carlos Tevez’s vacations are the most lucrative around.

The former Manchester United, Manchester City and Juventus star joined Chinese Super League side Shanghai Shenhua in 2016 from his boyhood club Boca Juniors after leaving Juve in 2015 to return home to Argentina.

It is believed Tevez was earning close to $850,000 per week, after tax, in China but in September he was criticized for being overweight and not fit for action.

Tevez left Shenhua earlier this month after four goals in 16 games.

Speaking to Argentine outlet TYC Sports on his return to Boca, Tevez had the following to say about his move to China in 2016.

“It’s fine because I was on vacation for seven months,” Tevez said. “When I landed in China, I wanted to return to Boca.”

Now, 33, Tevez’s return to Boca has been lauded by Diego Maradona and fans in Argentina as the nomadic forward returns home with a huge wad of cash after one of the best paying vacations around.

Report: Real Madrid willing to let Cristiano Ronaldo leave

Getty Images
2 Comments

It appears that Real Madrid are finally willing to let Cristiano Ronaldo leave the Santiago Bernabeu.

A report from Sky Sports’ Guillem Balague says that Real are now warming to the idea of selling Ronaldo and cashing in on the five-time World Player of the Year while they still can.

Ronaldo, 32, has scored just four goals this season in La Liga as Real, the reigning Spanish and European champions, languish in fourth place in the table.

Per the report, Ronaldo’s former club United are the frontrunners to re-sign him but there are certain complications which come with such a huge deal for one of the greatest players in world history.

First up: Real still want $120 million for a player who turns 33 in February. Yeah, not going to happen. Also, his salary of over $60 million per year, after tax, could be problematic.

Ronaldo has scored an amazing 422 goals in 418 game since joining Real from Man United in 2009 and he’s been instrumental in winning three UEFA Champions League titles in the Spanish capital. Still, with his numbers diminishing this season, a contract which runs out in 2021 and suggestions that he’s not at his physical peak anymore, this is a lot of money for United, or anyone else, to shell out.

Yes, Ronaldo’s name will see the club he plays for rake in cash in many other ways but if his levels continue to drop on the pitch then paying this much for him doesn’t make a lot of sense.

It’s clear that Ronaldo hasn’t been too happy for a while now and it is thought he wanted a new contract last summer but Real have yet to come up with the goods.

Seeing Ronaldo back at Old Trafford and managed by his old boss at Real, Jose Mourinho, seems like something out of a Hollywood movie. Until Real drop their asking price, Ronaldo heading back to Man United will remain a fantasy.