Takeaways from the United States’ win over Belize

3 Comments

Remember what we said about a match against Guatemala a few nights back? How you could tell just a smidge about attacking players against these over-matched bunch of tourney misfits, but very little about defensive players?

Well, same deal.

I am fairly certain the United States could have handled business against tiny Belize with me in the midfield. That said … here are a few things we can gain from Tuesday’s lopsided match at Jeld-Wen Field in Portland:

Artificial turf is better than temporary grass: At the risk of picking this old scab until it starts bleeding again, this game came and went without much comment about the surface. So, in the future, why not just play on the doggone stuff rather than spending $200,000 to create an inferior and potentially injurious playing surface, a la Seattle last month? Just sayin’.

You have any concerns over the U.S. starting selections? You shouldn’t: Don’t read too much into Jurgen Klinsmann’s lineup selections. The United States will play almost certainly play four matches over the next two weeks. Most likely, Klinsmann’s team will play in five or six, landing in the July 28 final in Chicago.

Four nights from now they’ll be on the field once again, this time against Cuba. Three nights after that they’ll be up against Costa Rica. And they’ll be traveling in between each stop.

So if Stuart Holden or Herculez Gomez or Oguchi Onyewu wasn’t in the starting 11, relax. The lineup wasn’t just about Tuesday’s match against the weakest team in the group, it was designed with a nod toward six matches over 20 days.

No, Klinsmann doesn’t have Chris Wondolowski over Herculez Gomez in the big picture ordering. And he clearly values Holden. Check back after the starting 11 is announced against Cuba and the Costa Rica.

(MORE: U.S. player ratings from the win in Portland)

Mix Diskerud is “cap tied:” The Norwegian-born man, who played so extensively for Caleb Porter’s under-23 team last year, had already pledged his allegiance to the United States. But this makes it official, and that’s important, if only symbolically.

Parkhurst lost his man: Landon Donovan committed the foul that led to Belize’s goal – still cannot believe I am writing the words “Belize’s goal” – but he was chasing the play from behind. Why? Because Jose Torres wasn’t, and the action was happening in the area where Torres should have been patrolling.

But that wasn’t the worst violation, because it was Michael Parkhurst who fell asleep as Belize scored on an uncontested header, a real no-no if the United States wants to win against better teams.

Defensive inattention and set-piece marking that turns into a fiasco? Those is hardly the way to beat a path into a World Cup roster spot.

Wondo’s hat trick: You know, the next time someone in a U.S. shirt has a hat trick, let’s hope he gets his name spelled correctly on the doggone jersey. I mean, seriously?

This was the first U.S. hat trick in more than a year. Donovan had one last may against Scotland.

Growing Liga MX influence: Four starters (Michael Orozco, Jose Torres, DaMarcus Beasley and Joe Corona) earn their wages in Mexico. Even though this is the U.S. “B” team, that’s a significant development. Liga MX is a more technical association, something Klinsmann clearly values over the more physical style seen in most European leagues.

Francesco Totti on bench for final Roma match

Paolo Bruno/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sunday marks Francesco Totti’s final match with Roma after a stellar 24-year career, but the striker won’t be starting at the Stadio Olimpico.

[ MORE: Reus could miss at least six months after suffering knee damage ]

The 40-year-old was named to the bench for his club’s 2016/17 Serie A finale against Cagliari, with Roma needing a victory to capture second position in Italy’s top flight.

Napoli currently sits just one point behind the Giallorossi and hold a slight two-goal edge in goal differential, which could be a decisive factor in which side finishes second.

It would be quite odd for Roma to not give Totti playing time in his final outing, after a career that featured over 300 goals across all competitions for his hometown club.

Transfer rumor roundup: PL clubs losing ground for Dembele and more

Ian MacNicol/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With all the major leagues across Europe either closing or already have finished it’s the season of transfer rumors once again.

[ MORE: Three things we learned from Arsenal’s FA Cup win vs. Chelsea ]

Here are several of the juiciest pieces from Sunday:

Three London sides could potentially miss out on Celtic star Moussa Dembele as AC Milan has emerged as a favorite to sign the top-rated Frenchman. Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham have all expressed great interest in the promising attacker, who scored 17 goals this season for the Scottish champions.

After struggling at times this season to keep goals out, Liverpool could turn to France as a potential outlet to fix the cracks in their back line. AS Monaco’s Benjamin Mendy already has significant PL interest from Manchester United and Manchester City, but Jurgen Klopp‘s side could also put up a fight.

West Ham is looking to bolster its attack this summer, and with Pep Guardiola likely making significant changes at the Etihad Stadium, Kelechi Iheanacho could be on his way to the Hammers ahead of the 2017/18 PL season.

Manchester City higher ups are keen on having Guardiola bring back goalkeeper Joe Hart from Torino this summer. Hart spent last season on loan with the Italian club after Guardiola sent him away from England early in his managing tenure at the club.

Luis Enrique leaves with feeling of mission accomplished

David Ramos/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MADRID (AP) Luis Enrique leaves Barcelona with no regrets and the feeling of mission accomplished.

[ MORE: Arsenal edges Chelsea to earn FA Cup crown ]

The coach capped his three-year stint with the Catalan club by winning the Copa del Rey title with a 3-1 win over Alaves on Saturday.

Now it’s time to enjoy some much-needed time off after three “intense” seasons, and let the club move on under fresh leadership.

“There is no sadness at all, just happiness,” Luis Enrique said. “I’m the one who decided to stop, and I think that it was a wonderful decision for me, for the players and for the team as well. The intensity of this profession demands maximum dedication every single day and there is a natural wear out.”

He said players always need new challenges and will benefit from a change in leadership, and the club will certainly keep winning despite his departure.

After missing out on the league this season, the Copa del Rey was Barcelona’s second title of the campaign to go along with the Spanish Super Cup, but Luis Enrique has won nearly everything since replacing Gerard Martino in 2014. The former midfielder led Barcelona to the treble of the Spanish league, Copa del Rey and Champions League in 2015. He also managed the league-Copa double in 2016, and also won the European Super Cup and the Club World Cup in 2015.

He said he was “proud” to have helped Barcelona fans celebrate so many accomplishments during his time at the helm.

“If someone had told me when I arrived that I would have the opportunity to help my team win nine titles out of 13 that we played, I’d say that these would be good numbers,” he said. “It would have been nice to have won La Liga and contended for the Champions League title this season, but it just wasn’t meant to be. I believe that the fans recognized the effort and the sacrifice of all the players throughout the season. I have enjoyed the opportunity to make them happy.”

Luis Enrique said he was also lucky to have had the chance to coach a player like Lionel Messi.

“He is extraordinary, extraterrestrial,” Luis Enrique said about the Argentina forward, who scored the team’s first goal on Saturday. “I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy Messi at his best, performing at the highest level. He is the very best, without a doubt.”

Neymar and Paco Alcacer also scored at the Vicente Calderon Stadium to help Barcelona win its third straight Copa del Rey title, and 29th all-time.

Luis Enrique celebrated with his seven-year-old daughter by his side, waving his winner’s trophy and singing the club’s anthem in front of the Barcelona fans who traveled to Madrid.

Barcelona is expected to announce this week that its new coach will be Ernesto Valverde, who left Athletic Bilbao a few days ago.

Luis Enrique’s future remains up in the air.

“I don’t know what I’ll be doing, really. I’m open to every possibility, including changing sports,” the 47-year-old Luis Enrique said, with a smile on his face. “I do know that I’m very competitive and it’s been like this since I was born. Right now I’m looking forward to the opportunity of enjoying my friends and my family.”

Tales Azzoni on Twitter: http://twitter.com/tazzoni

Report: Reus could miss six months after sustaining knee damage

Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Marco Reus missed much of the 2016/17 season with injuries, and the Borussia Dortmund attacker had that unfortunate spell continue on Saturday.

[ MORE: USMNT tops Group F and more from the U-20 World Cup ]

The 27-year-old exited the club’s DFB Pokal final win against Eintracht Frankfurt at halftime after suffering a knee injury.

According to German outlet Bild, Reus will miss at least six months as he rehabs and prepares to make a comeback.

Despite the bad news for Dortmund, Thomas Tuchel’s men captured the title behind goals from Ousmane Dembélé and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.