Déjà vu: Wage demands foil Nicklas Bendtner’s transfer away from Arsenal

1 Comment

Arsenal fans, fear not. Nicklas Bendtner looks set to stay at the Emirates.

The self-confident striker’s proposed transfer to German side Eintracht Frankfurt, which appeared to be done and dusted, has been thrown into doubt after Eintracht chairman Heribert Bruchhagen questioned whether his club could afford Bendtner.

With Arsenal and Eintracht apparently in agreement over the fee for Bendtner, the Danish striker flew in to Frankfurt to discuss personal terms. What Bruchhagen somehow failed to recognize before sitting down with the 25 year old, was just how much he valued himself.

“After weighing up all the arguments, Bendtner turned out not to be a realistic prospect,” Bruchhagen told “Now it’s up to us. There are no problems with Arsenal. We have to see if it’s financially viable.”

Since joining the Gunners as a 16 year old with bags of promise, Bendtner has failed to live up to his billing as a top talent. After three league cup appearances in 2005-06 he was sent on loan to Birmingham City where he arguably had his most successful stint in English football, notching 11 goals and 7 assists in 42 Championship matches.

The performance was enough for manager Arsene Wenger to recall Bendtner to North London, where he spent the following four seasons making regular substitute appearances for the Gunners and notching 22 goals in 98 Premier League matches.

In 2011-12 Wenger sent Bendtner on his loan stint, this time to Sunderland. The move to the Stadium of Light failed to pan out, despite his managing 8 goals and 5 assists in 28 league appearances. This past season, Wenger sent him to Juventus on a season long loan deal where he failed to score a single goal in 11 total appearances.

Throughout the last three years Arsenal have tried desperately to move the Dane, to no avail. Clubs come and go without a deal getting done and inevitably the reason seems to be Bendtner’s high wage demands. Under his current deal at Arsenal the striker makes £50,000 per week ($75,420) and if you ask him, he’s worth every penny.

“There is a price to pay as well for us players” Bendtner said in 2011. “Personally, I think I pay a big price with my body, my time and with never being able to have privacy when I am out and around other people.”

Whether £50,000 per week is the quote he’s given to Eintracht, nobody knows. But fortunately for Arsenal, the man who hasn’t scored a Premier League goal since April 2012 is still happily planted on their bench.

Just in case.

Gerard Pique continues to be booed by Spain supporters

BARCELONA, SPAIN - FEBRUARY 21:  Gerard Pique of FC Barcelona looks down dejected after missing a chance to score during the La Liga match between FC Barcelona and Malaga CF at Camp Nou on February 21, 2015 in Barcelona, Spain.  (Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Spain secured qualification to EURO 2016 today with a 4-0 win over Luxembourg, but once again a good performance was overshadowed by the rift between fans and Gerard Pique.

The center-back continues to be booed and whistled by his own fans, despite ongoing calls from the manager, players, and Pique himself to stop the jeers.

[ MORE: EURO 2016 roundup ]

The boos started when Pique, who plays for Barcelona, made some joking comments about Real Madrid while celebrating Barca’s treble winning season last year. Ever since then, Pique has been the subject of boos from Real Madrid fans while playing for the national team.

Before the match against Luxembourg, Spanish legend Xavi called for a stop to the antics, saying supporters should put their club allegiances aside when rooting for the national team. However, they paid no attention to one of Spain’s greatest players, as Pique was whistled at throughout the match.

Following the win, Pique was pleased with the result that booked Spain a place in the final tournament, but was still upset over his treatment by his own fans.

I’d like to resolve this situation with the whistling, of course I do but that depends on the fans. I am going to give all I’ve got to do my job. We’ve reached our objective which was to qualify. I think we’re changing the dynamic; the whistling is louder than the applause but we will improve.

I seem to have explained myself a thousand times on this… no one should be in any doubt about me and my commitment; I’ve been with the national side since I was 16. People can take a look through the archives and see everything I have said in the press since I was a kid. You won’t find anything bad, or comments I’ve made against the national team or this country for people to get upset about.

While the rivalry between Barcelona and Real Madrid is one of the biggest in the world, it shouldn’t carry over into the national side. Pique has made more than 70 appearances for the Spanish team, and started every match at center-back in Spain’s 2010 World Cup run, which was the country’s first major trophy in nearly 50 years. He also played every minute of Spain’s EURO 2012 campaign, which resulted in another title.

[ RELATED: Sergio Aguero suffers torn hamstring playing for Argentina ]

With Spain now into EURO 2016, it’s time for fans to move on and start showing Pique the respect he deserves as one of their most consistent and important players over the past five years.

FIFA presidential election could be postponed

ZURICH, SWITZERLAND - MAY 30:  FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter talks to the press during the FIFA Post Congress Week Press Conference at the Home of FIFA on May 30, 2015 in Zurich, Switzerland.  (Photo by Alessandro Della Bella/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

For months now, the footballing world has been waiting for February 26, the date on which the FIFA presidential election is scheduled to take place, which will finally put Sepp Blatter out of power.

However, that election may not take place as scheduled, as FIFA has called an emergency meeting amidst the suspensions of some top officials.

[ RELATED: Klopp introduced as Liverpool boss ]

The emergency meeting will be held on October 15, just a few days before the October 26 deadline for candidates to officially declare their intent to run for the presidency.

On Thursday, FIFA announced bans on multiple executives, including Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini and Chung Mong-joon. Platini has been the odds-on favorite to succeed Blatter as FIFA’s leader, while Mong-joon has also announced he will run for president.

Because of the current investigation and suspension revolving around Platini, he would not be allowed to run for the presidency if the election were to take place as scheduled in February. If the election was pushed back, it would give time for the investigation to come to a conclusion, which could possibly absolve Platini of any wrongdoing and allow him to re-enter the race.

Issa Hayatou, who has been the president of the Confederation of African Football since 1988, is currently serving as the acting FIFA president following Blatter’s suspension, and will preside over the meeting next week.