Becham and Claure take in a recent Miami Heat game, as the Bolivian businessman revealed when they expect Miami to enter MLS.

David Beckham to unveil plans for MLS franchise. Will it work in Miami?

12 Comments

Just a heads up, David Beckham could be heading back to Major League Soccer.

And a long-awaited franchise in Miami could be coming with him.

This morning reports say Beckham is close to revealing his plans for a new MLS franchise.

The former LA Galaxy star shared his vision with reporters and hinted that an announcement is upcoming.

“It will be in a few months maybe but it’s important to get it right,” said Beckham. “This is a big decision where I’ll have my franchise and how I’m going to do it. It’s something I’m excited about.”

So we’re talking about Miami, right Becks?

In the past few months a huge sense of inevitability has grown over Beckham bringing MLS to MIA. He was seen touring potential venues with Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure last month (pictured with Beckham, top right) and even took in a Miami Heat game court-side and met LeBron James and various other dignitaries.

Major League Soccer itself hasn’t exactly been too coy about the plans, with many executives and Commissioner Don Garber stating on several occasions that they are “excited about what’s going on in the Southeast.”

(MORE: MLS expansion in Florida set for 2016?)

But should we be getting this excited about an MLS franchise in a city that had one before but didn’t make the most of it?

Maybe. When the Miami Fusion disbanded in 2001 after poor attendances and many other issues, people questioned whether or not South Florida was a good place for an MLS franchise. But having the team tucked away in Ft. Lauderdale was perhaps the biggest issue and was arguably its biggest downfall, yet several other factors led to the Fusion’s demise. And those doubts about soccer prospering in Miami haven’t drifted away.

However with Beckham’s bid and his comments about “getting it right” it’s just hard to see this being a failure of any sorts. If the stadium is in the right place, people will support the team and Beckham and Claure will no doubt pump millions into the franchise if it gets off the ground.

source: Getty Images
Will Beckham bring MLS to Miami and have his own “LeBron” moment?

(MORE: MLS Exec, “Multiple teams in Southeast could be very successful”)

Perhaps he has other locations earmarked other than Miami? It’s hard to think where, but they’re certainly plenty of other cities across the US that deserve a shout in the MLS expansion merry-go-round. Atlanta? Minneapolis? St. Louis? San Antonio?

Anyway, Miami still seems like the perfect option and location for Becks. The razzmatazz of the tropical paradise and the rich and the famous will see Beckham and his team slot in superbly.

And with USL Pro franchise Orlando City pushing on with their MLS expansion plans, could Florida soon become a hotbed of soccer and rival regions such as the Pacific Northwest? Hold your horses, not so fast. But it’s good to dream. And it seems as though Beckham’s plans are much more concrete than a dream as we wait with baited breath to find out where the franchise he’s backing will land.

A safe bet is that it’ll be within a stones throw of South Beach or one of the other iconic areas of that City. Expect this hype to reach a fever pitch over the coming months. Bring it on.

Manchester United said to be offering $12 million bonus to Zlatan Ibrahimovic

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - APRIL 12:  Zlatan Ibrahimovic of Paris Saint-Germain beats Eliaquim Mangala (20) and Joe Hart of Manchester City to score, but his goal is disallowed during the UEFA Champions League quarter final second leg match between Manchester City FC and Paris Saint-Germain at the Etihad Stadium on April 12, 2016 in Manchester, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Premier League sometimes seems to deal in funny money, and it might take just that to bring Zlatan Ibrahimovic across the English Channel.

The Swedish superstar, 34, is leaving Paris Saint-Germain this summer and is reportedly being targeted by several Premier League clubs.

[ MORE: LVG issues statement ]

With his old pal Jose Mourinho expected to take over at Manchester United, there’s been a natural batch of gossip linking the pair. Goal.com has claims of extraordinary dollar signs for the trophy-collecting Ibrahimovic.

Goal’s French site claims that Ibrahimovic would get close to a $12 million signing bonus to go with a huge weekly salary of approximately $363,000. Add that up, and you’re talking more than $560,000 a week.

The report spreads rumors of a $400,000-per-week offer from Major League Soccer for Zlatan, and that acquisition would certainly quell the minor storm caused by China’s acquisition of many big names.

We’ve always thought Ibrahimovic was more an Arsenal-style player, but imagine Mourinho running the Swede with Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford? Bonkers.

Ajax hires Peter Bosz as new coach to replace Frank de Boer

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - JULY 30:  Peter Bosz manager of Vitesse looks on ahead of the UEFA Europa League Third Qualifying Round 1st Leg match between Southampton and Vitesse at St Mary's Stadium on July 30, 2015 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)
Photo by Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images
Leave a comment

AMSTERDAM (AP) Ajax has signed Peter Bosz as its new coach, replacing Frank de Boer who announced earlier this month he was leaving the club after nearly six years in which he won four Dutch league titles.

Bosz, a former player and technical director at Ajax’s arch rival Feyenoord, is leaving Maccabi Tel Aviv to join the Amsterdam club on a three-year contract.

[ MORE: USMNT-Ecuador preview | Klinsmann eyes semis ]

In a statement late Tuesday, Bosz says it is an honor to join Ajax. He says, “I am very ambitious and so is Ajax.”

Ajax director Edwin van der Sar says that in Bosz, Ajax has hired a coach “who can make our talented squad even better.”

Ajax finished second behind PSV Eindhoven in the top flight Eredivisie season that has just ended.

WATCH: Neymar caught a bit offguard in first look at his wax figure

MADRID, SPAIN - MAY 22:  Neymar of FC Barcelona celebrates aftr scoring Barcelona's 2nd goal during the Copa del Rey Final between Barcelona and Sevilla at Vicente Calderon Stadium    on May 22, 2016 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)
Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images
Leave a comment

I remember the first time I saw the first of many life size wax replications of my body.

That is a sentence I am unlikely to ever utter, but Neymar is a different story.

[ MORE: USMNT-Ecuador preview | Klinsmann eyes semis ]

The 24-year-old Brazilian superstar was caught on camera witnessing his wax figure for the first time, and we can watch it thanks to FC Barcelona.

Look at this guy, looking at that guy. The most interesting part for me is his fascination with how well they did with his tattoos, which of course are easier to duplicate than, you know, a face:

Morris “completely respects” Klinsmann’s keeping him off USMNT roster

SEATTLE, WA - APRIL 20:  Seattle Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris speaks on stage during We Day at KeyArena on April 20, 2016 in Seattle, Washington.  (Photo by Mat Hayward/Getty Images for We Day)
Photo by Mat Hayward/Getty Images for We Day
Leave a comment

Seattle Sounders striker and USMNT star-in-waiting Jordan Morris struck a mature note when asked about his exclusion from Jurgen Klinsmann’s 23-man roster for this summer’s Copa America Centenario.

Some will have considered the youngster a lock for the roster, with Morris already boasting rarefied air as a college player to become something close to a national team regular while still in school.

[ MORE: USMNT-Ecuador preview | Klinsmann eyes semis ]

But Klinsmann opted for in-form San Jose striker Chris Wondolowski, and it has become old hat for MLS players to gripe when their name is not called by the German boss (See: Benny Feilhaber, Brad Evans and Landon Donovan).

Don’t count Morris in that group. Of course the youngster doesn’t have the tenure to rally against the man who gave him his shot in the first place, but that hasn’t stopped others from acting entitled to a roster spot.

From MLSSoccer.com:

“[Klinsmann] told me not take it too hard and that there was a lot of competition,” Morris said. “I completely respect his decision. There were a lot of good forwards playing and they’re all playing really well. I wish those guys all the best. It’s going to be a lot of fun to watch this summer.”

Morris can still end up on the roster through injury, and it’s easy to see him as the next name up should an attack-minded player take a knock. Stefan Frei told us last week that Morris is remarkably professional, and this is no exception.

The youngster did admit increased motivation from his omission, stating that “it gives you fuel to your fire to try and get back in the mix a little bit”. We have a feeling he won’t be out of that mix for long.