Tito Vilanova

Barcelona’s manager Tito Vilanova steps down due to illness

1 Comment

Following a press conference in Barcelona on Friday night, Tito Vilanova has stepped down as manager of the Catalan giants.

Vilanova, 44, has suffered more health issues after battling throat cancer for several years.

He had only returned to manage Barca in March, after receiving radiotherapy and chemotherapy in New York in January 2013.

Club president Sandro Rosell had this to say. “Vilanova needs further treatment which makes it impossible for him to continue as head coach.” And on Barcelona’s official website they said that Vilanova, “will not continue due to ongoing treatment of his illness.”

The club also confirmed that they will appoint a new manager next week.

Earlier in the day on Friday, a statement on the FCB’s website said that Rosell and Andoni Zubizarreta would hold a press conference at 7:30pm local time.

Speculation was rife that Vilanova would step down, and due to his ongoing health issues, sadly, it was the only real option.

Vilanova was Pep Guardiola’s assistant from 2008-2012, where he helped the club dominate Spanish and European soccer. When Guardiola stepped away from soccer, Vilanova provided a seamless transition and Barcelona continued to dominate under his stewardship.

Vilanova had a superb record as Barca manager, with a 71.67 percent win ratio across all competitions, only losing eight and winning 43 of his 60 games at the helm. He returned to the side in March after his treatment, leading Barca to the 2012-13 title.

However after his resignation, all thoughts will be with Vilanova and his family as he tries to regain his health away from soccer.

(MORE: Tito Vilanova released from hospital)

Guardiola’s former assistant coach first had a tumor removed from his throat back in November 2011. But he’s had several reoccurring issues since and the treatment he underwent in New York earlier this year hasn’t had the desired effect.

While all this news comes as Vilanova was entangled in an argument with his friend and Barcelona’s former head coach Guardiola in the past few days. Bayern Munich’s new manager has accused Barcelona of using his former assistant’s illness against him, as they stated Guardiola had not visited Vilanova whilst he was getting treatment in New York, despite Guardiola being in NYC on a year’s sabbatical.

Vilanova had this to say on the matter.

“He visited me once in New York when I’d just arrived, but during my recovery from the operation I was there for two months and I didn’t see him. He’s my friend and I needed him, but he wasn’t there for me. I would have done things differently. I won’t say anything else about this.”

So with Vilanova’s brief reign in charge at Barcelona over, people will be asking who the next man to take charge will be.

But it just doesn’t feel right to speculate on that after such a sad announcement.

All we can say is, get well soon Tito. We hope to see you back working in soccer in the very near future.

Leicester City inks Ben Chilwell to new contract, warding off Liverpool interest

Chilwell
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Liverpool wanted to get younger at the back, but they’ll have to look elsewhere.

Despite reportedly heavy interest from Anfield, 19-year-old defender Ben Chilwell has signed a new five-year deal with Leicester City, tying him down through the summer of 2021.

The Leicester City defense desperately needs Chilwell’s youth as it ages yet another year following their run to the Premier League title. Robert Huth is 31 years old, Wes Morgan – also on a new deal this summer – is 32, and backup Marcin Wasilewski is 36. On the left edge, where Chilwell is most proficient, first-choice left-back Christian Fuchs is 30, while Jeffrey Schlupp provides the only other true bit of youth at 23. On the right, Danny Simpson is 29 and Richie De Laet is 27.

The youngster was reportedly a high-priority target for Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool, lodging a number of bids with the news that Brad Smith would move to Bournemouth. According to reports in England, the Reds made one last effort to bid for Chilwell prior to his extension, but it did not bear fruit.

“Ever since I arrived in Leicester, Ben has been a young player that has shown a lot of promise,” Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri told the club’s official website. “He has all the attributes you would want in a defender and shows a lot of maturity for a player of just 19. He has come back for pre-season in very good condition and is already showing that he is ready to push for a place in the team.”

Chilwell, a Leicester City academy product, has yet to make a Premier League appearance, but has featured for the England youth teams at multiple levels.

Report: Manchester United’s $132 million Pogba deal close to completion

ROME, ITALY - MAY 21:  Paul Pogba of Juventus FC celebrates with the trophy after winning the TIM Cup final match against AC Milan at Stadio Olimpico on May 21, 2016 in Rome, Italy.  (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

The finishing touches are being put on the biggest transfer in history.

A report from ESPN FC claims that Paul Pogba’s agent, Mino Raiola, is locked in talks with Juventus to finalize an offer of $132 million from Manchester United.

[ MORE: Fabregas off in fiery friendly

Pogba, 23, has been chased by United all summer and it finally appears that Jose Mourinho has his man.

The report goes on to state that Pogba could have a medical in Miami on Friday (where he is currently on vacation) as United aim to tie up the deal by the weekend.

This week it had been reported that a major snag in the deal had arrived due to Raiola demanding over $22 million for brokering the deal. However it seems as though any talk of an impasse has now passed and United are now close to sealing the huge deal for the French international midfielder.

Pogba left United for a $1.2 million compensation fee in 2012 after he failed to break into Sir Alex Ferguson‘s team. Now, just four years later, he will return to Old Trafford with four Serie A titles in his trophy cabinet plus he was named as the best young player at the 2014 World Cup.

Real Madrid and Barcelona were previously linked with Pogba but United’s riches, despite the Red Devils not being in the UEFA Champions League next season, seem to have prevailed.

Mourinho said in his first press conference as United’s manager that he wanted four key players to arrive as part of his rebuild.

He got Eric Bailly. He got Zlatan Ibrahimovich. He got Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Now it looks like the fourth, and most important, player will arrive.

Ranking the Olympic teams at Rio 2016

United States' Carli Lloyd (10) scores a goal on a penalty kick against Costa Rica during the first half of a CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament soccer match Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2016, in Frisco, Texas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)
AP
Leave a comment

There are just six days to go until the Olympic soccer tournament kicks off in Brazil.

We’ve already ranked the top 20 players in the men’s and women’s soccer tournaments at Rio 2016 and now it is time to look each team.

[ STREAM: Watch Olympic soccer here ]

With host nation Brazil the clear favorites in the men’s competition, the U.S. women’s national team is also head and shoulders above the rest as they aim to pick up a fourth-straight Gold medal.

Below you can find the “power rankings” if you will, of the teams competing this summer for a place atop podium.


Men’s

  1. Brazil
  2. Germany
  3. Mexico
  4. Argentina
  5. Nigeria
  6. Portugal
  7. Sweden
  8. Japan
  9. Korea Republic
  10. Denmark
  11. Colombia
  12. Algeria
  13. Iraq
  14. Honduras
  15. South Africa
  16. Fiji

Women’s

  1. USA
  2. Germany
  3. France
  4. Brazil
  5. Sweden
  6. Australia
  7. Japan
  8. China
  9. Canada
  10. Colombia
  11. South Africa
  12. Zimbabwe

Transfer Rumor Roundup: Mustafi to Arsenal, Guzan to Boro, Tello to Saints

LILLE, FRANCE - JUNE 12:  Shkodran Mustafi of Germany runs with the ball during the UEFA EURO 2016 Group C match between Germany and Ukraine at Stade Pierre-Mauroy on June 12, 2016 in Lille, France.  (Photo by Alexander Hassenstein/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Arsenal are said to have inquired about Valencia’s German international defender Shkodran Mustafi, 24.

After losing Per Mertesacker until 2017 with a serious knee injury, Arsene Wenger has already spoken about looking for an experienced option at center back.

[ MORE: Latest transfer news

However, it appears he may be looking for a more long-term approach with Mustafi set to cost around $26 million according to report in the Independent. That say that Spanish outlet Cadena Cope believe the German defender is up for sale.

With Laurent Koscielny on an extended break after appearing in the EURO 2016 final for France and Gabriel missing Arsenal’s tour of the USA with tonsillitis, Wenger will use young center backs Calum Chambers and Rob Holding against the MLS All-Stars on Thursday in San Jose, Calif. or maybe even Francis Coquelin as an emergency center back with Mathieu Debuchy and Nacho Monreal either side of him.

Mustafi started and scored against Ukraine in Germany’s 2-0 win in their EURO 2016 opener but only appeared again at the Euros as a second half sub in their semifinal defeat to France.


U.S. national team goalkeeper Brad Guzan is set to seal a move to Middlesbrough, according to the Guardian.

Per the report Guzan will leave Villa on a free transfer and will sign a two-year contract for Aitor Karanka’s side. Skyy Sports is also reporting that Guzan will have a medical on Teeside in the next 24 hours.

[ MORE: Fabregas sent off in fiery friendly ]

Guzan, 31, played for the U.S. at the Copa America Centenario this summer but given Aston Villa’s relegation to the Championship the Illinois native wants to stay in the Premier League.

If the move to ‘Boro does go through then he will be battling with Victor Valdes and Dimitrios Konstantopoulos for the starting spot.

Guzan has become the first-choice goalkeeper for Jurgen Klinsmann since the 2014 World Cup when Tim Howard decided to take a sabbatical. Last season he endured a nightmare campaign as they were relegated from the Premier League for the first-time in history.

Here’s hoping Guzan gets a chance to shine at the Riverside but with Valdes also signing on, it’s difficult to know who will be the first choice.


Southampton are chasing two Spanish players, according to the Sun.

Barcelona’s Christian Tello, 24, has spent the last two seasons on loan at Fiorentina and FC Porto but is now looking for a permanent home and Southampton will be hoping to add to their attack after losing Graziano Pelle and Sadio Mane this summer.

Tello could leave Barca for $13 million and although he’s scored 20 goals in 86 games for his hometown team, he has failed to break through and finally wants to become a regular elsewhere.

Jay Rodriguez and Charlie Austin are both back fit and among the goals during preseason but with their history of injuries perhaps Claude Puel will be looking to sign one more striker as Saints prepare for both the Premier League and the Europa League.

The report also states that midfield reinforcement is being looked at with Malaga’s Recio, 25, linked with a $7 million move to St Mary’s. Saints seem pretty set in that area of the pitch with Jordy Clasie, Oriol Romeu and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.