Stoke City v Aston Villa - Premier League

Christian Benteke makes right choice to stay at Aston Villa, signs new four-year deal

Leave a comment

Aston Villa fans can breathe a huge sigh of relief this evening… the big man is on board.

Towering Belgian center forward Christian Benteke has nailed his colors to the mast by signing a new four-year contract at Villa Park, ending any chance of him leaving this summer.

Previously the 22-year-old striker had put in a transfer request to leave the Villans.

But it seems as though Paul Lambert’s powers of persuasion, and a healthy boost in his weekly wage, have convinced Benteke that he should remain at Villa.

“I spoke with the Manager when I returned to training and we had a good talk. I am very happy to be back here in Birmingham and at Aston Villa, and to sign a new contract,” Benteke said. “This is a great Club and it has given me a lot. Now I have to give back to my teammates and the fans who have always been right behind me.”

How will Villa’s fans react to this news? Relief, joy and cautious optimism would sum it up. After enduring a nail-biting season during the 2012-13 campaign, Benteke’s form was the main highlight. But is seemed as if his future would lie elsewhere after he handed in a transfer request last month.

However Benteke seems to have come to the best decision ahead of Belgium’s impending appearance at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Playing with teammates he knows well, in front of fans that love him and a coaching staff fully supporting his talents is a huge boost and that was likely a key factor behind his new deal.

(MORE: Benteke hands in transfer request at Aston Villa, let’s not act surprised)

While Villa’s manager Lambert was ecstatic to see Benteke commit himself to the Birmingham based club for the foreseeable future.

“I’m delighted, having time to re-evaluate his future, Christian has decided to commit to the Club. It’s a huge bonus and I’m sure the supporters are every bit as delighted as me to have him on board and raring to go.”

Benteke was linked to Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal amongst many other clubs but staying at Villa was the right decision. He has flourished since joining from Genk and scored 23 goals in all competitions last season. His powerful frame suits the Premier League and Villa’s young squad will surely be better this year.

Some may question his ambition, but he is in a comfortable place as the figurehead at a sleeping giant of the English game. Even if he doesn’t return Villa back to their glory days, if Benteke keeps banging in the goals he will likely get suitors lining up at the door season after season, just like they did this summer.

Fans of Villa, Belgium and the Premier League should all be spurred on by Benteke’s decision to sign a new deal.

Another season full of goals and stunning forward displays beckon from the big Belgian called Christian.

Second coach in England loses job after newspaper sting

BARNSLEY, ENGLAND - JULY 23:  Tommy Wright assistant head coach of Barnsley during the pre-season friendly match between Barnsley and Everton at Oakwell Stadium on July 23, 2016 in Barnsley, England. (Photo by Clint Hughes/Getty Images)"n
Photo by Clint Hughes/Getty Images
Leave a comment

BARNSLEY, England (AP) A British newspaper investigation led to a second soccer coach getting fired in England on Thursday.

Two days after Sam Allardyce lost his job as England manager following an undercover operation by the Daily Telegraph, second-tier club Barnsley fired assistant coach Tommy Wright.

Wright was filmed apparently accepting an envelope which the Telegraph said contained 5,000 pounds ($6,500) from a fake Asian firm to help place players at the northern club. Video footage was released by the newspaper late Wednesday and Wright was immediately suspended by Barnsley.

[ MORE: Man Utd-Zorya recap | Zlatan reacts ]

“After considering Mr. Wright’s response to allegations in today’s Daily Telegraph about breaching (Football Association) rules over player transfers, Mr. Wright was dismissed,” the club said after a meeting with the coach on Thursday.

Barnsley said it was “unaware of such matters or involved in any wrongdoing.”

The English Football Association decided to terminate Allardyce’s contract on Tuesday after video showed him appearing to offer advice to fictitious businessmen on how to sidestep an outlawed player transfer practice and also negotiating a 400,000 pound ($519,000) public-speaking contract to top up an annual England salary of 3 million pounds ($4 million).

English soccer is reeling after three days of accusations by the newspaper following its months-long investigation into alleged wrongdoing in the game.

Second-tier Queens Park Rangers is investigating footage that appeared to show its coach, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, seeking a fee of 55,000 pounds ($71,600) to work for a fake Far Eastern firm that had suggested selling players to the second-tier London club.

[ MORE: JPW hangs with USMNT prospect Gooch ]

Hasselbaink denied any wrongdoing, saying he was only offered a fee to make a speech in Singapore and did not ask QPR to sign players said to have been represented by the fake firm. QPR said it had “every confidence” in Hasselbaink, and its chief executive and director of football spoke to Hasselbaink on Thursday to get his version of events.

QPR said it wanted to view an unedited version of the video footage and a full transcript.

Hasselbaink, a former Chelsea and Leeds striker, will prepare the QPR team for the league match against Fulham on Saturday.

The Daily Telegraph also filmed an agent accusing 10 managers, which it did not name, of taking bribes linked to player transfers.

Premier League Preview: Everton vs. Crystal Palace

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - APRIL 16: Yannick Bolasie of Crystal Palace chases down Seamus Coleman of Everton  during the Barclays Premier League match between Everton and Crystal Palace at Goodison Park on April 16, 2014 in Liverpool, England.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Leave a comment
  • Lukaku back for Everton
  • Bolasie faces former club
  • Palace on three-match win streak

An angry Everton looks to make amends from a rough outing, when improving Crystal Palace pays a visit to Goodison Park on Friday (Watch live, 3 p.m. ET on USA Network and online via NBC Sports).

The Toffees fell 1-0 to Bournemouth last weekend, dropping out of the Top Four after a strong start to the season.

WATCH LIVE ONLINE

After winning three-straight over lower table competition, Palace gets a big test in Everton. Road wins over Northeast opponents Sunderland and Middlesbrough highlights the run, which includes a home win over Stoke City.

Yannick Bolasie has been very good for Everton, and now gets his first look at former club Palace. And he’ll have company in Romelu Lukaku, who’s passed a fitness test and will start the match.

What they’re saying

Everton’s Gerard Deulofeu on Friday night football: “It’s a different day for us, it’s not normal to play on a Friday but it’s a good chance to put on a good performance and get a win for the Toffees to enjoy. It’s a good opportunity for us to take three points because we are coming into the game on the back of a loss to Bournemouth.”

Alan Pardew on Bolasie’s return: “I love Yala but I just hope he is not going to have one of his super games that he is capable of but of course he will be looking to impress. He has nothing to prove to us or our fans, they still love him although I don’t think they are particularly happy that they have the song but that type of thing goes with a club signing big players.”

Prediction

Alan Pardew‘s charges will have a lot of trouble with Bolasie, the sort of player who has given Palace fits in the past. Ashley Williams and Phil Jagielka also present the sort of center back pairing that can handle a Christian Benteke type, so look for Everton to win at home, 2-0.

Mourinho praises Rooney, stays level after Manchester United’s third-straight win

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 29:  Jose Mourinho, Manager of Manchester United celebrates following his sides 1-0 victory during the UEFA Europa League group A match between Manchester United FC and FC Zorya Luhansk at Old Trafford on September 29, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)
Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jose Mourinho implored Manchester United to relax after a three-match losing streak included losses to Manchester City, Feyenoord, and Watford.

So it makes sense that the Portuguese boss isn’t throwing a parade after United went in the other direction with a trio of wins over Northampton Town, Leicester City, and Zorya Luhansk.

[ MORE: Match recap | Zlatan reacts ]

“One week, three defeats. One week, three victories,” Mourinho explained after Thursday’s 1-0 win over Zorya at Old Trafford.

“But I was not depressed by the defeats and I am not over the moon with three wins.”

United looked ready to score from the opening whistle, but only found a single goal. Mourinho went out of his way to praise substitute Wayne Rooney, whose flubbed shot turned into an assist to Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

From the BBC:

“Since the first minute we were waiting for the goal but it didn’t arrive. You never know what happens and Sergio Romero made a good save when the score was 0-0.

“I had good players on the bench to help change the game. Wayne Rooney gave us different positions and speed when the opposing team was getting tired.”

United has a visit from Stoke City before the international break, with Sunday’s Premier League kickoff slated for 7 a.m. ET.

Zlatan after Manchester United win: “I expect much more from the team”

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 29:  Wayne Rooney and Zlatan Ibrahimovic of Manchester United celebrate following their sides 1-0 victory during the UEFA Europa League group A match between Manchester United FC and FC Zorya Luhansk at Old Trafford on September 29, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)
Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Manchester United has gone from a three-match losing streak to a three-match winning streak after Zlatan Ibrahimovic‘s second half goal led the Red Devils to a 1-0 win over Zorya Luhansk at Old Trafford on Thursday.

The UEFA Europa League match was heavily titled in United’s favor, as Jose Mourinho’s men controlled the ball but didn’t find a finish outside of their big Swedish striker.

[ MORE: Match recap ]

Ibrahimovic was happy to pick up all three points after losing the group stage opener to Feyenoord, but expects better moving forward.

From the BBC:

“It was not an easy game, we played well, created chances but this is a typical game. When you don’t score in the beginning, the spaces get smaller and smaller. After the goal, we had more space but it was a decent game. We won and that is what counts after losing against Feyenoord.

“If you want to go through, you need to win the game, we did that. We could have done much more though and I expect much more from the team. We did not score as we did against Leicester but it is good for confidence. If we continue this and step it up, we will do good.”

United didn’t look like they’d concede a goal during the match aside from a very brief stretch early in the second half. Next up is an Oct. 20 trip to Fenerbahce.