Stuart Holden

Three Good Questions for: United States national team midfielder Stuart Holden

2 Comments

ARLINGTON, Texas – For Stuart Holden, the game is indeed “slowing down” as he builds the minutes on the field.

That’s not a bad thing. That’s the way players describe the sensation as a fast paced sport “slows down” and becomes more manageable, the next pass seen sooner, the supporting movement more instinctive, the ability to manage the chaos in tight quarters improving.

During the ongoing Gold Cup, Holden is getting his most extensive use in almost two years. I spoke to Holden on Tuesday from inside Cowboys Stadium, where he and the rest of this United States national team version prepped for Wednesday’s semifinal contest against Honduras just outside of Dallas.

(MORE: ProSoccerTalk’s U.S.-Honduras preview)

“I know it’s an old cliché about the game slowing down, but that was the biggest sign for me, when I had the confidence to start trying things, hitting longer passes, starting to try to get forward more,” Holden said.

Here’s what else the versatile U.S. midfielder, whose long recovery bid is backed by so many interested U.S. Soccer supporters, had to say:

Q: You played against Guatamala before the tournament and then in the first three Gold Cup matches. So were you a bit disappointed not to get on the field for Sunday’s quarterfinal?

Obviously I want to play in every game. But it’s a long tournament and we have shared the minutes around. The guys that played on Sunday had a great result and played really well and obviously now I hope I’ll get a chance to play against Honduras.”

Q: How would you evaluate your tournament so far?

I think it’s been a really good tournament for me in terms of getting my confidence, getting some good minutes under my belt. I feel like I’ve improved with each game, paying some as a sub, and other games as a starter. It’s all about getting into a rhythm again, getting that weekly feeling of playing every week, playing every game, just topping off the tank and really feeling that my fitness is at a great level now.

“My goal is to leave this tournament on a high, hopefully winning the thing and being in great shape to have a great season [with Bolton] this year.”

Q: How has the knee responded so far during the tournament?

I’m in touch with my Bolton [medical trainer] and he is always asking me about the knee, I said to him, ‘I don’t even think about it now.’ For me, that really has been a great thing.  After practice I don’t look at it, I don’t think about icing it straight away. I’m just thinking towards the next game, I’m not thinking about how my knee is going to feel, so that’s been a great feeling.”

Ex-Guatemalan soccer chief pleads guilty in FIFA bribe case

PRATO, ITALY - APRIL 13: General view during the FIFA Futsal playoff match between Italy and Hungary on April 13, 2016 in Prato, Italy.  (Photo by Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images)
Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images
1 Comment

NEW YORK (AP) A former Guatemalan soccer federation president has pleaded guilty in New York to charges related to a sprawling corruption investigation of world soccer.

[ MORE: Christian Vieri ready for return, pursuing Chinese Super League ]

Brayan Jimenez pleaded guilty Friday to federal racketeering conspiracy and wire fraud conspiracy charges, each carrying up to 20 years in prison. It’s unclear when he’ll be sentenced.

The 62-year-old Jimenez is among 40 people from around the world charged in a FIFA bribery scandal over lucrative broadcasting rights.

Prosecutors say Jimenez accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes from a Florida-based sports marketing company. They say in exchange for the money Jimenez awarded the company media marketing rights to the Guatemalan soccer team’s World Cup qualifying matches in 2018 and 2022.

Jimenez’s attorneys haven’t returned a message seeking comment on his guilty plea.

D.C. United acquires Igboananike from Fire in trade

BRIDGEVIEW, IL - MARCH 06:  Andrea Pirlo #21 of the New York City FC looks to pass against Kennedy Igboananike #77 of the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park on March 6, 2016 in Bridgeview, Illinois. The New York City FC defeated the Fire 4-3.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With the playoffs still very much in sight, D.C. United is making another attempt to boost its struggling attack.

[ MORE: NYCFC, Rapids meet in Bronx on Saturday ]

After recently trading for New York City FC forward Patrick Mullins and New York Red Bulls midfielder Lloyd Sam, D.C. has completed a trade for Chicago Fire attacker Kennedy Igboananike in exchange for target allocation money and a third-round draft selection in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.

In over a season-and-a-half in MLS with the Fire, Igboananike notched 11 goals and four assists in 49 matches. The Nigerian forward is a Designated Player, and is due to make over $900,000, according to the MLS Players’ Union website.

[ MORE: Christian Vieri trying to make comeback in Chinese Super League ]

D.C United is currently eighth in the Eastern Conference standings, sitting on 20 points through 21 matches. The team is four points behind the New England Revolution for the final playoff position.

Report: Atletico set to offer $52 million for Chelsea’s Costa

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 09:  Diego Costa of Chelsea shoots past Thiago Silva of PSG to score a gol to level the scores at 1-1 during the UEFA Champions League round of 16, second leg match between Chelsea and Paris Saint Germain at Stamford Bridge on March 9, 2016 in London, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Already with one of the world’s most dangerous attacks, Atletico Madrid is prepared to add another dimension into the mix.

[ MORE: Man City makes final bid for defender John Stones ]

Daily Mail is reporting that the Spanish side is prepared to offer Chelsea over $52 million for striker Diego Costa, who joined the team from Atletico back in 2014.

While the Blues have maintained their position that Costa isn’t for sale, Atletico looks to boost its already strong offense with the 27-year-old Spaniard. Diego Simeone’s group already features talented attacking duo Antoine Griezmann and Fernando Torres.

During his previous stint in La Liga, Costa netted 56 goals across all competitions in two seasons with the Rojiblancos.

[ MORE: Christian Vieri trying to make comeback in Chinese Super League ]

Chelsea is reportedly pursuing former striker Romelu Lukaku after signing Belgian Michy Batshuayi this summer. Antonio Conte’s side also features young forward Bertrand Traore, who has made a strong impression during the preseason.

Report: Manchester City makes final bid for John Stones

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 16:  Diego Costa of Chelsea and John Stones of Everton compete for the ball during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Everton at Stamford Bridge on January 16, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
2 Comments

Take it or leave it.

Manchester City has made a final push for Everton defender John Stones, and has set its last offer at $52 million. Last month, the Citizens made the same exact bid for the 22-year-old, which was rejected by Everton.

[ MORE: Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to join Chinese Super League ]

City is said to be looking to avoid overpaying for Stones, after compensating Porto over $55 million for centerback Eliaquim Mangala two years ago.

While Stones has gone on record saying that he wants to play for manager Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium, it remains to be seen if Everton will part ways with its prized defender.