FBL-ASIA-ENG-PR-MANUTD-JPN

Is David Moyes stubborn or silly when it comes to Cesc Fabregas?

7 Comments

Despite having two bids immediately rejected by Barcelona, Manchester United manager David Moyes is not giving up in his quest to sign midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

Which begs the question, is Moyes being stubborn or just plain silly?

He’s stubborn (in the best way possible) if his efforts result in Barcelona selling Fabregas to United.

United’s first move for Fabregas on July 15 was for $38.2 million (£25m). Barcelona quickly rejected.

The second move for the midfielder made last week was understood to be in the region of $45.9 million (£30m)  plus add-ons. Again, Barcelona rejected on knee-jerk.

It now appears that Moyes is ready to table a third bid that will likely be somewhere between $53.5 million to $61.1 million (£35m to £40m). If the Catalan giants accept that bid then United will have their man and Moyes’ efforts will be classified as persistent. United will have their man, albeit at a slightly inflated price.

But if Barcelona deny the upcoming offer, many may consider Moyes to be a silly man.

Not only will he have failed to acquire the player he targeted to shore up the United midfield but, after having already missed out in his primary midfield target Thiago Alcantara, he also will have further dented the clout that Manchester United has long possessed in the transfer market. Under Sir Alex Ferguson, United’s transfer market power was unprecedented. If the club wanted a player, the club got that player – and typically at a favorable rate.

Moyes further risks looking campy because he continued to pursue the player despite the tea leaves appearing relatively straightforward.

After United’s first bid was rejected then Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova explained, “Cesc has told me he wants to stay here. He has told me it is his dream to stay with Barcelona. He doesn’t want to go to other teams for money reasons or playing time. He knows there is competition for places here, but his decision is to stay.”

Following United’s second second bid a Barcelona source said that “Fabregas is not for sale” and that “[t]he president [Sandro Rosell] has been very clear with Man United.”

In addition to the club’s stance, Barcelona center-back Gerard Pique said: “United are wasting their time. It took a long time for Cesc to get his dream move back home, and he won’t give it up. This is home, it is where his family is, and he is playing with his closest friends. He has told us he is happy, and that he intends to stay with Barcelona.”

Even Alex Song, who arguably suffers from less playing time because of Fabregas, expressed his disbelief at the Spaniard moving to Old Trafford. “I did not speak with him but I know Cesc is 100 per cent here. He loves Barcelona, he loves the club. He will stay here next season and give 100 per cent because I know him very well and he’ll want to fight. He’s focused on the club.”

Yet while all those quotes seem to indicate only one result, the reality is that they are circumstantial in nature.

We have not heard directly from Rosell that Barcelona refuse to Fabregas to Manchester United. And we have not heard directly from Fabregas that he refuses to move to Manchester United.

Until either of those things happen ‘sources’ will blab and teammates will pine but Moyes still stands a chance at coming out of this situation looking more stubborn than silly.

 

VIDEO: T&T women’s team gives away one of the most bizarre PKs

Leave a comment

Play until you hear the referee’s whistle. In theory, so simple. In practice, it only takes a single second of concentration lapse to become an internet sensation for all the wrong reasons.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USWNT coverage ]

Such is life for Karyn Forbes, member of the Trinidad and Tobago women’s national soccer team. In the above video, you’ll observe Forbes, a 24-year-old midfielder, giving away perhaps the most bizarre penalty kick you’ll ever see. You’ll have to watch for yourself to believe it.

[ MORE: USWNT opens Olympic qualifying with 5-0 victory ]

Unfortunately for Forbes, though the whole of the ball might have crossed the whole of the end line, the referee did not blow her whistle… not until Forbes picked the ball up with her hands and carried it to her goalkeeper.

Bundesliga to go ahead with video replay tests over two years

FILE - In this Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012, file photo, a Hawk-Eye camera is set up at Toyota stadium in Toyota. For the first time at a World Cup, technology will be used to determine whether a ball crosses the goal line during matches at the upcoming tournament in Brazil. With vanishing spray also being used to prevent encroachment by defenders making up a wall during free kicks, officials at the highest level of the world’s most popular sport are finally getting some assistance. (AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama)
AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama
Leave a comment

BERLIN (AP) The German Football League (DFL) has given the go-ahead for the possible testing of video replays in the Bundesliga over a two-year pilot phase.

[ FOLLOW: PST’s Bundesliga coverage ]

The DFL says it will be lodging an application with FIFA to take part if the pilot phase is approved by the International Football Association Board at its next annual general meeting on March 5.

The DFL says video replays could be used by a “team of impartial match officials for the purpose of avoiding any evidently incorrect decisions” and that the pilot phase would be preceded by “intensive preparations.”

[ MORE: 17-year-old American MF Pulisic gets Bundesliga debut for Dortmund ]

These would include the settlement of costs among FIFA, the IFAB, the DFL and German football federation, as well as training for the candidates.

West Ham extend Payet’s contract in “enormous show of faith”

West Ham’s Dimitri Payet celebrates after scoring while soap bubbles are blown during the English Premier League soccer match between West Ham and Newcastle at Boleyn Ground in London, Monday, Sept. 14, 2015.(AP Photo/Frank Augstein)
AP Photo/Frank Augstein
1 Comment

West Ham United hope Dimitri Payet is going absolutely nowhere after the club announced on Thursday the 28-year-old Frenchman has signed a contract extension through the summer of 2021.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Payet’s current contract was scheduled to keep him at the Premier League club through the summer of 2020, but a series of standout performances (6 goals, 4 assists so far this season, mostly during the season’s opening three months) and rumors of interest from “bigger” clubs meant tacking on another year — and plenty more cash — was the best way to keep Payet in east London for the foreseeable future. The club confirmed earlier this week that negotiations over an extension were underway.

“He’s the best player I’ve signed in 25 years,” said West Ham co-owner David Sullivan. “He’s a [$43 million] player. He’s a supreme footballer. He makes every player in our side play better. On his day, he’s world class, he’s unstoppable.”

Payet, who’s been at West Ham just eight months after signing last summer, could still depart in the summer should he finish the current season strong and/or show up and show out at the European Championship, which kicks off in June. In that event, West Ham would now bag a much heftier transfer fee than they would have done prior to the extension.

VIDEO: Dele Alli’s magnificent juggling goal recreated in hand-drawn crayon

Leave a comment

Remember that Dele Alli goal? No, not that one… that one. Of course you remember it. How could you not?

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

How often does a player receive the ball out of the air, flick it over his head, spin 180 degrees and hit an inch-perfect volley from 20 yards out to secure all three points for his team? The answer is, of course, not very often.

[ MORE: Top 5 Premier League storylines — Sunday’s top-four battle royal

Thus, a goal such as Alli’s stunning winner against Crystal Palace last month has been, and will continue to be, immortalized through numerous recreations in this Digital Age. Above is Alli’s goal recreated in hand-drawn crayon.