Barcelona: “Fabregas will remain here.” Now what for Manchester United?

1 Comment

Gerardo Martino has spoken loud and clear on the Cesc Fabregas to Manchester United rumors.

Cesc is going nowhere.

This morning “Tata” was asked about Fabregas’ availability after United apparently tabled yet another bid for the Spanish midfielder. Barca’s new manager has been in the job since Monday and this was his first strong statement.

“I’m not going to involve myself in the club’s accounts, but considering the club has already rejected two offers, I would guess it will reject a third,” Martino said. “In other words, Fabregas will remain here.”

There you have it folks, United have once again been led on a wild goose chase, as their summer of transfer inactivity continues.

And if Tata’s comments weren’t enough, Barcelona’s vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu was pretty emphatic about Fabregas staying at the Camp Nou.

“It doesn’t matter what any offer from Manchester United is – we’re not selling him. We’re counting on him. He’s not for sale,” Bartomeu said. “If there was a higher offer would we accept it? No. He’s a great player. It doesn’t bother us that Manchester United want him.”

(MORE: Is Moyes stubborn or silly when it comes to Cesc Fabregas?)

With that settled, we think, where do United and David Moyes turn now?

That is the big question. Considering their No.1 target won’t be prized away from Barcelona at any price, Moyes now has to turn his attention elsewhere. But where?

Could he nip back to his former club Everton and sign Marouane Fellaini? What about Yohan Cabaye from Newcastle? Or maybe even a big money move for Cristiano Ronaldo or Gareth Bale?

The last two aren’t going to happen. If those two superstars were on their way to United, it would’ve happened by now.

But deals for Fellaini and Cabaye are more likely, however they’re certainly a downgrade on Fabregas. No disrespect to those two players, because they’re full internationals and have shone in the PL in recent seasons. (Fellaini more than Cabaye) But do they really possess the quality to turn a Champions League game on its head?

(MORE: United make a second bid for Fabregas)

I think not. Moyes has aimed high in the transfer market and struck out. Sir Alex Ferguson has done the same in the past, two examples in my mind are Alan Shearer and Paul Gascoigne who turned down United and opted to go elsewhere.

Just because they’re Manchester United doesn’t mean they can handpick whoever they want. With Ferguson gone, other Premier League teams are becoming more attractive propositions. Chelsea and Manchester City are closing the gap on United’s alluring dominance as we speak.

Moyes will have a plan B after the Fabregas chase has left him at a dead end. But he must reassess his options and navigate his way through the treacherous and, so far, disappointing transfer market.

Fast.

Spanish report claims Coutinho (not Liverpool) agrees deal with Barca

Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images
Leave a comment

According to Sky Sports’ transfer centre, Spanish radio station RAC1 reports that Barcelona has agreed a deal with Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho.

The report comes on the heels of the half-hour delay of Barca’s nightly press conference, though that could be coincidental.

It also states that the agreement is between Barcelona and Coutinho, and that no fee has been agreed between Liverpool and the La Liga giants. That’s a huge obstacle, with Liverpool maintaining that no offer will work this summer, so the idea of a transfer being imminent could be beyond the pale.

[ MORE: Van Dijk to Liverpool after all? ]

A sale like this risks overturning Jurgen Klopp‘s apple cart, as the Reds boss was quoted this week as saying, “The very important message is that we are not a selling club and that’s how it is.”

Mohamed Salah is good, but he’s no Coutinho. Meanwhile, Coutinho has the potential to be as close to a like-for-like replacement for Neymar — one of the Top Five players in the world — as there is on the market.

The two clubs have done business before, and in more trying circumstances; Barcelona bought Luis Suarez from Liverpool within a month of the Uruguayan striker being banned for a biting incident at the 2014 World Cup.

A spectacular deal, Liverpool would have to make such a move this early in the summer when it can invest what would have to be a wild amount of money given the fees splashed about this transfer window.

Source close to Van Dijk expects Liverpool move within window

Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images
Leave a comment

It wasn’t too long ago that Liverpool apologized for its pursuit of Southampton center back Virgil Van Dijk, ending its quest for the big Dutchman.

Is it apology accepted and then some at St. Mary’s? Sky Sports reporter Kaveh Solhekol says not much has changed since the big sorry toward Anfield, but that a source close to Van Dijk expects Van Dijk will be a Red “by the end of the window.”

[ MORE: JPW’s take on the Van Dijk saga ]

That said, Sky’s report makes it unclear what’s changed to lead to such a proclamation.

There is no suggestion that Liverpool have done anything wrong since they apologised and ended their interest. Southampton’s position remains that Van Dijk is not for sale but Chelsea and Manchester City are also interested.

So… it’s happening then? Money does talk, and a massive fee from Liverpool could make Southampton’s life easier in explaining the sale to its fans. It would also mean Saints sold Van Dijk and Jose Fonte within a year. For more on the possible transfer, here’s JPW’s take.

Van Dijk averaged 1.9 tackles, 2.6 interceptions, 6.8 clearances, and 4.7 aerials won per Premier League matches last season, his second since a Summer 2015 move from Celtic.

[ MORE: Milan talk to Costa, Falcao agent ] 

Ex-Brazil midfielder Ederson says he has testicular cancer

AP Photo/Riccardo De Luca
Leave a comment

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) One-time Brazil midfielder Ederson says he has testicular cancer and won’t be able to play for his Flamengo club for months.

The disease was detected last Saturday and he will undertake surgery on Monday, the 31-year-old footballer said in a news conference on Monday.

Ederson has played for Nice and Lyon in France, and for Lazio in Italy. He represented Brazil once in 2010, and joined Flamengo in 2015.

[ MORE: Dom Dwyer traded ]

Flamengo doctor Marcio Tannure said there was a 99 percent chance of total recovery for Ederson, who was contracted to the club to Dec. 31.

Tannure said the disease was discovered after Ederson failed doping tests after three matches of the Brazilian championship in May. The substance beta-HCG, which stimulates the production of testosterone, was discovered by medics in his urine samples.

Flamengo chairman Eduardo Bandeira de Mello said Ederson will have the club’s full support regardless of the end of his contract. He expects the midfielder to play for the Rio de Janeiro giant again.

“When we had the first news of the anti-doping we kept our full confidence in him, he is an example of an athlete,” de Mello said. The cancer was detected after blood and image exams.

[ MORE: Milan talk to Costa, Falcao agent

An emotional Ederson said he was still processing the discovery.

“I am upset, but also confident about the next days. It will be another battle and I have won a few in my life,” he said. “I am sure that I will win this one, too, to play football as soon as possible.”

Tannure said only after surgery will it be clear how serious the tumor is.

“There is a chance he will go through chemotherapy, but that depends on the biopsy. But the prospects for recovery are indeed good.”

Milan reportedly meeting with Mendes re: Costa, Sanches, Falcao

Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

AC Milan’s big summer could get downright massive, according to a sensational report out of Italy.

It’d be fair to assume some think it already has been, given the captures of Leonardo Bonucci, Andre Silva, Mateo Musacchio, Franck Kessie, Ricardo Rodriguez, Hakan Çalhanoğlu, and Lucas Biglia.

Right?

[ MORE: Dom Dwyer traded ]

Well, Sky Sports in Italy is reporting that super agent Jorge Mendes is meeting with i Rossoneri regarding not one but three of his clients, each of whom is well-known by European soccer fans.

The biggest name is Diego Costa, who would likely be gone from Chelsea already if Atletico Madrid wasn’t under a transfer ban.

The report also names AS Monaco striker Radamel Falcao and Bayern Munich youngster Renato Sanches, who was considered one of the top summer transfers this time last year.

The 31-year-old Falcao scored 30 goals for Moncao in his return from the Premier League, while Sanches had this to say about a potential move away from the Allianz Arena:

“I’m young, I have to play a lot. I think the chance to do so is greater in Milan than in Munich.

“I want to play more consistently and [a move to] AC Milan is a very interesting option. If the two clubs reach an agreement, I would be happy to join the Rossoneri.”

Milan is participating in the Europa League this year in addition to Serie A, and already has terrific depth to take a chance at winning both.