1 win, 6 defeats... it's been rough for Holloway's Eagles back in the big-time.

Crystal Palace look to regroup after horrible week

Leave a comment

“I’m sure if he was here today he wouldn’t have been too happy.”

Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway knows his boss will be none too pleased with the disastrous few days the club have endured.

Holloway called the past week “one of the worst of my life” as he’s missed out on multiple transfer targets.

The club was also dismantled by League One side Crawley Town 3-0 Friday, and only managed a 1-goal victory over League Two club Dagenham & Redbridge.

Holloway made it seem like the team was burning through transfer targets fast, as their list grows thinner and thinner.

“Myself and the chairman are going to sit down and have a look at the targets we have shot at, and go from a scattergun approach to the rifle” said Holloway. “We have got to knock some targets over.”

Palace have missed out on Jonjo Shelvey and Thomas Ince in the last month, and just this week failed to secure Carlton Cole or Dan Gosling.

“This week has probably been one of the worst of my life because things have broken down for all different reasons” Holloway lamented. “It’s just an accumulation of coming into this so late. I was half expecting it but it is a little bit worse than it’s been before. I thought we were signing someone the other day and they went somewhere else. It’s all a bit crazy really.”

Holloway has partly blamed his struggles on the heightened amounts of cash flowing around the sport.

“The chairman is learning, I am finding out how even more difficult it is compared to last time because of the zillions of extra quid that everybody’s got.”

The failure against Crawley Town was just icing on the cake for Palace.

“It was a training session. I didn’t like the first half and I didn’t like the second half,” Holloway said after the match. “Very disappointed to be honest, disappointed for our fans because I didn’t recognise that as a Palace team. We didn’t fight together we didn’t work together, we missed a couple of chances and then that was it.”

There’s only about three weeks until the season opens, but Holloway knows he has a lot to do in that time.

“Well done to [Crawley Town]. I thought they looked ready for their season – we’re nowhere near ready for ours.”

Report: David Silva out 2-3 weeks with ligament damage

LOGRONO, SPAIN - OCTOBER 09:  David Silva of Spain is fouled by Lars Gerson of Luxembourg during the UEFA EURO 2016 Qualifier group C match between Spain and Luxembourg at Estadio Municipal Las Gaunas on October 9, 2015 in Logrono, Spain.  (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Despite sitting at the top of the table in the Premier League, things are not going well for Manchester City.

Star striker and leading goalscorer Sergio Aguero suffered a torn hamstring while playing for Argentina, and now he is joined by David Silva on the injured list.

Silva lasted nine minutes in Spain’s EURO qualifying match against Luxembourg, forced off after taking a bad challenge from behind. Silva went down in pain and tried to play on, but asked for a substitution just minutes later.

[ RELATED: Alejandro Bedoya to miss USMNT vs. Mexico ]

Spanish news outlet AS is reporting that Silva has suffered “lateral internal ligament damage in his right ankle,” and could face 2-3 weeks on the sidelines.

With Aguero set to miss at least a month, Silva’s injury could leave Manchester City without two of their top players in the coming weeks.

Silva has arguably been the best player in the Premier League this season, the quarterback of the City attack, which has scored a league-leading 19 goals through eight matches.

City travels to Old Trafford for the Manchester derby on October 25, which falls into that 2-3 week range for Silva’s recovery. In a match that could decide who sits top of the table, Manuel Pellegrini would be very shorthanded without Silva and Aguero.

Alejandro Bedoya to miss USMNT vs. Mexico

GLASGOW,  SCOTLAND - NOVEMBER 15 :  Alejandro Bedoya of USA  in action during the International Friendly match between Scotland and USA at Hampden Park on November 15, 2013.  (Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Alejandro Bedoya will not feature for the United States in the CONCACAF playoff against Mexico on Saturday, and has been replaced on the roster by Bobby Wood.

Bedoya traveled to Los Angeles from his club team Nantes in France, but Jurgen Klinsmann has announced he will be unable to play after falling ill.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USMNT coverage ]

Without Bedoya, Union Berlin midfielder Bobby Wood has been added to the USMNT side. Wood scored the first two goals of his international career this summer in wins over the Netherlands and Germany, and has scored four goals in ten matches for Union Berlin this season. Wood has been training with the U.S. camp throughout the week for the upcoming friendly against Costa Rica.

Bedoya has played well for the USMNT, discounting his short performance against Brazil in September. In that match, Klinsmann played Bedoya out of position against a potent Brazil attack, and he was substituted before halftime. However, playing in his more natural role as a winger or attacking midfielder, many believed Bedoya could be in line for a start against Mexico.