Spain Training & Press Conference - FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil

Is David Moyes conceding defeat in his pursuit of Cesc Fabregas?

4 Comments

It’s looking like Manchester United boss David Moyes may finally be giving up on his pursuit of Cesc Fabregas.

The Red Devils have failed with two bids for the Spanish playmaker, the latest of which is understood to be $46.2 million (£30m), plus add-ons.

The Old Trafford boss hinted at a pull-out earlier in the day. “I couldn’t tell you if there will be another bid,” Moyes said. “Obviously we will take stock of it and consider what we are going to do next.”

Earlier in the week, Moyes appeared poised to submit a third bid for the former Arsenal midfielder, noting that the Premier League champions attempts at signing Fabregas were “ongoing.”

That intent appears to have been dulled by new Barcelona manager Gerardo Martino, who spoke on the Fabregas issue on Friday. “I’m not going to get into the economic interests but, if the club rejected it twice, I add a third one right now,” Martino said. “He will be staying here.”

Previous to Martino’s statement, Moyes, perhaps unrealistically, believed United still had some wiggle room to get a deal for Fabregas done. He not only disregarded the assertions from Gerard Pique, Alex Song and other Barcelona ‘sources’ who claimed that the 26 year old would be playing at the Camp Nou in 2013-14, but he also turned a dull ear to Fabregas’ own expressed desire made earlier this summer to remain at his boyhood club.

Instead of risking the embarrassment of a third rejected bid, Moyes is now talking up his club’s pre-existing talent. “What we have here is a really good squad of players already. You mustn’t forget about the quality that is already here at Manchester United.”

Yet even with that talent, Moyes is still hoping to do some business. “Undoubtedly we are hoping to add to the squad. I am quite confident we will do, certainly before the window shuts.”

With Fabregas (mostly) out of the picture, most expect Moyes to turn his focus to Real Madrid deep lying playmaker Luka Modric. Other candidates to bring into the middle of the park include Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye, Everton’s Marouane Fellaini and PSG’s Marco Verratti.

 

Real Salt Lake signs Plata to multi-year DP deal

Real Salt Lake forward Joao Plata (8) gestures while walking during an MLS soccer game against New York City FC Saturday, May 23, 2015, in Sandy, Utah. (Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP) DESERET NEWS OUT; LOCAL TELEVISION OUT; MAGS OUT
Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP
Leave a comment

SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has re-signed forward Joao Plata to a multi-year contract and he will continue to hold a designated-player spot.

The 24-year-old was acquired from Toronto FC before the 2013 season and he has 30 goals and 30 assists in regular-season play with RSL.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

Plata ranks No. 3 on the team’s all-time assists list and No. 5 in goals. He has 33 goals and 35 assists during his MLS career.

Real Salt Lake begins the season Saturday when it hosts Toronto FC.

Gotze out indefinitely with metabolism disorder

ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS - NOVEMBER 06:  Mario Goetze (R) and Ann-Kathrin Broemmel attend the MTV Europe Music Awards 2016 on November 6, 2016 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.  (Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV)
Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze’s last few seasons have not fulfilled the expectations thrust about the World Cup-winning attacker.

Gotze, 24, scored the 113rd minute goal that lifted Germany past Argentina in the 2014 World Cup, but has endured successive disappointing seasons between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

With just two goals this season, Gotze has played just 24 minutes since BVB came back from winter break. On Monday, the club revealed why: a metabolism disorder that will keep him out for an indefinite period of time. From Sky Sports:

“We are glad to know the reasons for Mario’s complaints and we are convinced that after recovering he will give us extra quality with his exceptional abilities,” said Dortmund’s director of sport Michael Zorc.

“Mario gets the full backing and maximum support from all of us at Borussia Dortmund on his way back.”

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Gotze at his best, and here’s hoping this problem is both curable and the reason for his struggles.

Liverpool hires EA Sports executive as new CEO

Leave a comment

Liverpool has named Peter Moore as the successor to chief executive office Ian Ayre.

Ayre, 53, is off to 1860 Munich this summer, and has stepped down early to allow Moore to take over.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

A Liverpool-born executive, Moore was the chief operating officer at EA Sports and has also worked with Microsoft and SEGA.

The move “completes a transitional phase” which saw several new names join the fray. From The Liverpool Echo:

The appointment completes a transition plan by FSG which included appointing Michael Edwards as sporting director while Billy Hogan was promoted to the role of managing director and chief commercial officer.

Palmer-Brown heads U.S. U-20s to win over Mexico (video)

Erik Palmer-Brown
@ussoccer_ynt
Leave a comment

The United States U-20 men are on the precipice of the U-20 World Cup after beating Mexico 1-0 on Monday, scooping their first win against El Tri in 31 years.

Brooks Lennon continues to look the part for the U.S. ahead of his loan season from Liverpool to Real Salt Lake.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops again ]

The youngster sent in this free kick that Erik Palmer-Brown, himself a loan man at Porto from Sporting KC this year, headed into the Mexico goal courtesy of a back post defender who opted for his right leg over a decent clearing attempt.

The U.S. took that lead into halftime.

Things got chippy as the second half unfolded, with referee Melvin Matamoros turning a blind eye to a few clattering tackles.

Tab Ramos subbed NYCFC prospect Jonathan Lewis into the match, and he sprung a counterattack that should have put the match to bed. But Lewis’ through ball missed FC Dallas’ Coy Craft and the latter took too much time, frittering away the chance.