2013 MLS All-Star Logo

Landon Donovan, Thierry Henry set to lead MLS All-Stars against Italy’s AS Roma

2 Comments

KANSAS CITY – Goals generally pour forth at MLS All-Star games like thick red sauce over that famous Kansas City barbecue around here.

Then again, Major League Soccer teams aren’t usually staring at Italian opposition. Any student of the game will tell you Italians have always treated defense with a certain reverence. You can be sure that as AS Roma conducts two-a-days practices in the American heartland this week, part of its preparation for the rugged Italian Serie A season to come, a significant element is the constant tweaking and polishing of defensive shape.

Sporting Park on the city’s outskirts is sold out (as usual) for the 9 p.m. ET kickoff. There has even been a little scalping action on tickets around the city this week (which is not usual for MLS All-Star contests).

The MLS All-Star format has long been thus: foreign opposition against the league’s very best. It’s a departure in that way from traditional all-star games here and it tends to coalesce the league’s tip-top talent in a way other formats might not.

Roma does not carry the weight of some past visitors to the event, a smidge less heralded than Manchester United or Chelsea from England’s venerable Premier League, for instance. But credit the league for diversifying the opposition for 2013. Besides, the Italians are certainly a talented bunch, sixth place finishers in Serie A last year.

Historically, Roma sits just a shade under the Italian heavyweights, but does have three Serie A crowns (the last in 2001) and nine Coppa Italia titles. And it also has a strong American attachment in U.S. midfielder Michael Bradley, who has become perhaps the most indispensable man in for United States national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann.

Any media-related event for Roma this week in Kansas City has come with a strong dose of Bradley.

Major League Soccer’s side has plenty of star value, too, starting with Frenchman Thierry Henry, who still has ample skill and just enough showmanship to create the perfect blend for such an event.

There is also a heavy contingent of U.S. players coming off a successful CONCACAF Gold Cup run. Seven members of the United States team that won Sunday’s final in Chicago made their way down to Kansas City a day later. That group included Landon Donovan, the star of the United States’ surprisingly easy dash through the Gold Cup field, who is participating in his 13th MLS All-Star contest. (He was the All-Star game MVP back in 2001. Yes, the man has been around that long now.)

So Donovan was part of the roster that took a 4-0 thumping from mighty Manchester United back in 2011. And he was on the MLS side in Philadelphia last year that posted a spirited 3-2 win over Chelsea. U.S. striker Eddie Johnson supplied the stoppage time game winner for that one.

Donovan said the added element of this U.S. group coming directly in from Chicago add something, since a part of the larger group has already invested so much shared time and energy over the past month.

“I can’t speak for everybody, but to me it means something,” Donovan said at Tuesday’s practice at Livestrong. “We have an opportunity to show ourselves well. This whole trip has been fantastic, since the minute we got in [Monday]. Everybody is taking it the right way, and we want to put on a good show.”

Like most everyone else, Donovan will play only a half. Sporting Kansas City manager Peter Vermes, in charge of the All-Star team, recognizes that everyone on the field at Sporting Park tonight has a league match this weekend. He has already said that his own players, center back Aurelien Collin, will be one of two men asked to play all 90 minutes. He’ll have to pick one more, which is sure to leave some fellow MLS manager something less than giddy.

Collin is one of three players from the host team, along with U.S. internationals Matt Besler and Graham Zusi.

Projected MLS starting lineup:

Raul Fernandez; Tony Beltran, Aurelien Collin, Matt Besler, Corey Ashe; Kyle Beckerman, Graham Zusi, Will Johnson, Brad Davis; Thierry Henry, Marco Di Viao.

Klopp hopes for speedy solution in club, fans’ ticket-price dispute

Liverpool's fans wave flags during the English League Cup semifinal second leg soccer match between Liverpool and Stoke City at Anfield stadium in Liverpool, England, Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2016. (AP Photo/Jon Super)
AP Photo/Jon Super
Leave a comment

From his time at Borussia Dortmund, Jurgen Klopp is used to a much more positive, family-like, everyone-pulling-in-the-same-direction atmosphere at his club of employment, so the present goings-on at Liverpool understandably have the Reds’ first-year manager feeling more than a little uneasy.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Saturday’s late 2-2 draw with Sunderland wasn’t the first time Liverpool fans have headed for the exit before the final whistle, leaving Klopp feeling all alone, but it was the first time the fans have departed from Anfield early in a pre-planned, organized manner (Klopp missed the game himself with appendicitis). The Anfield faithful didn’t walk out on 77 minutes due to their team’s poor performance — Liverpool were 2-0 ahead at the time — but in protest of steadily rising ticket prices, which were unveiled at $111 per game to sit in the 132-year-old stadium’s new main stand next season.

Klopp, coming from the Bundesliga, where a season ticket at clubs the size of Bayern Munich and Dortmund doesn’t cost much more than a single-game ticket at many Premier League grounds, understands the fans’ frustration. At the end of the day, though, he works for the club, which is why he just wants the whole thing settled quickly, for the sake of his squad — quotes from the BBC:

“It’s not what we want. What I know is everyone in the club has a big interest in finding a solution for this. We don’t want people to leave the stadium before the game is finished.”

An LFC TV appearance by Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre, in which he was expected to answer fan-submitted questions, was consequently canceled on Monday due to the ongoing dispute.

West Ham want Payet to sign new contract for fear of losing him this summer

Dimitri Payet, West Ham United FC (AP Photo/Frank Augstein)
AP Photo/Frank Augstein
Leave a comment

Dimitri Payet is going to be a red-hot commodity during this summer’s transfer window, there’s no doubt about it.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Given he’s currently contracted to one of the Premier League’s “smaller” clubs — in comparison to some of the giants which are bound to be interested — West Ham United, there’s a decent-to-good chance he could be wearing a different club’s shirt come August. Especially if the 28-year-old attacker shows up and shows out at this summer’s European Championship in his native France.

If I can foresee the interest in Payet, then so too can the executives at West Ham, which is why manager Slaven Bilic took to the press on Monday to convey his desire for Payet to consider signing a new, increased contract at his earliest convenience — quotes from the Guardian:

“We are moving, the club is moving, with the new stadium, with the revenue and everything. We have to move and the most important move is to keep your best players and to add some new players who are needed and Dimitri Payet is our best player — I have no problem whatsoever to say that. Of course, I would love to have him happy, long term, at the club.”

Of course West Ham want Payet to sign a new deal immediately — doing so would accomplish two things in the club’s eyes: 1) increase the likelihood he remains at the club next season, or 2) insure the club receives a higher transfer fee for the player if he leaves in the summer anyway. The more total money remaining on his West Ham contract, the more they can demand of a prospective buyer.

[ MORE: Ronaldo commits himself to Real Madrid through 2018 ]

From Payet’s side — unless he has absolutely zero desire to move to a club like Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester United, where he’d likely be paid close to $200,000 per week — he’d be crazy to sign a new contract at this point. Not only would it make a move this summer more difficult, but a strong showing at EURO 2016 could be worth another $15,000 or $20,000 per week on a new contract with West Ham (his current contract is rumored to be close to $100,000 per week).

With as many as five seasons still remaining on his current contract (a one-year club option can be exercised at any point), and his stock perhaps at an all-time high, the next six months could hold Payet’s last chance to get really, really paid before he hits the downside of his career.

USWNT players’ union responds in USSF lawsuit

FILE - In this Sunday, July 5, 2015 file photo, the United States Women's National Team celebrates with the trophy after they beat Japan 5-2 in the FIFA Women's World Cup soccer championship in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The U.S. Soccer Federation’s original lawsuit against the union for its champion women’s national team has been sealed after the governing body realized it had disclosed the home addresses and email accounts of many players, Thursday, Feb. 4, 2016.(AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, File)
AP Photo/Elaine Thompson
Leave a comment

(AP) — The union that represents the Women’s World Cup-winning American national team opposed an expedited schedule in the lawsuit filed against it by the U.S. Soccer Federation last week, insisting no collective bargaining agreement exists.

The federation sued in an attempt to establish it has a contract with the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team Players Association that runs through this year’s Olympics until Dec. 31. The union maintains the memorandum of understanding agreed to in March 2013 can be terminated at any time.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USWNT coverage ]

The USSF filed a motion Friday in U.S. District Court in Chicago asking for an expedited schedule, and the submitted opposition papers Monday that claim “facts asserted in the motion are nowhere near accurate and are hotly disputed.”

The union also maintains the USSF knew about the disagreement since July but did nothing about it.

An initial status conference is set for April 4.

Lionel Messi to undergo tests for lingering kidney problems

FC Barcelona's Lionel Messi holds the ball during a quarterfinal, second leg, Copa del Rey soccer match against Athletic Bilbao at the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona, Spain, Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)
AP Photo/Manu Fernandez
Leave a comment

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Barcelona says Lionel Messi is to undergo medical tests to assess a recurrence of kidney problems.

[ MORE: Saturday’s La Liga roundup | Barca win on Sunday

Messi missed the Club World Cup semifinal in December due to a renal colic, an abdominal ailment often related to the presence of kidney stones within renal ducts.

Barcelona says in a statement Monday that the tests to be conducted by Tuesday at the latest, are “to assess the evolution of the kidney problem he suffered last December.”

[ MORE: Champions League returns next week — KO round matchups ]

The statement says Messi will resume training with the squad on Wednesday, when Barcelona travels to Valencia for the return leg of the Copa del Rey semifinals in which it carries a 7-0 lead.