Jamison Olave will carry New York's defense this season.

MLS rounds out All-Star roster, names 10 non-active players

1 Comment

Major League Soccer’s agreement with their players’ association requires the league to name 32 total All-Stars, which seems weird on the surface. After all, only 20 are going to dress tonight against AS Roma.

Yet that’s the way the league can have the current All-Star game format while still recognizing enough players. Implicitly, the players want enough all-stars named to populate a typical two-squad format, be that format East vs. West, North America vs. the World, or Odd Numbered Birthdays vs. Even. It’s all about bonuses, it’s all about collective bargaining, and it’s also not that big a deal.

It is interesting, though, to see which players were named to the non-active squad. Picked by their peers, some of the selections look like legacy votes. Others seem like recognition for long-serving soldiers. Others seem like the ballots were cast last year. Regardless, they’re a sign of recognition from a players’ peers – a small indication of someone’s regard within the MLS fraternity.

That’s the context for today’s announcement, with MLS naming these 10 players to tonight’s non-active squad:

G: Tally Hall, Houston Dynamo
G: Donovan Ricketts, Portland Timbers
D: George John, FC Dallas
D: Jamison Olave, New York Red Bulls (pictured)
M: Osvaldo Alonso, Seattle Sounders
M: Juninho, LA Galaxy
M: Javier Morales, Real Salt Lake
M/F: Diego Valeri, Portland Timbers
W: Justin Mapp: Montreal Impact
W: Rodney Wallace, Portland Timbers

[MORE: Expect some heavy legs for Roma tonight in Kansas City]

Of course, the conversation around these selections is less about who made it than who didn’t. Among goalkeepers not on the active and non-active roster are Sporting KC’s Jimmy Nielsen and Seattle’s Michael Gspurning, last year’s two top keepers. Jose Goncalves, slowly becoming a favorite for defender of the year, is not among either team. Neither Michel nor Nigel Reo-Coker did enough in their half-season to sufficiently raise their profiles among their peers, and Marcelo Sarvas’s performance couldn’t draw enough votes away from teammate Juninho. Sporting Kansas City’s Claudio Bieler? Perhaps suffering from the same as Michel and Reo-Coker.

There is another aspect to the debate: doubting some of the selections. Osvaldo Alonso has missed a huge chunk of time, and Juninho hasn’t been the best midfielder on his own team. Rodney Wallace has been a great story, but it’s unlikely any Timber would take him over Darlington Nagbe (though Wallace may have made it as a defender). Diego Valeri is undoubtedly skilled and has impressed his opposition, but to what extent has that produced results (relative to other candidates)?

Then there’s Justin Mapp. In his 14th year in the league, the Impact veteran is having one of his most productive seasons. Is he more deserving than some of the other players we’ve mentioned here? I honestly don’t care that much. If part of players voting is the periodic recognition of a Mapp-like player — long serving, playing well, perhaps getting the benefit of sentiment — that’s fine by me.

After all, it’s not like he’s getting to play at somebody’s expense.

Joe Hart’s agent confirms loan move to Torino

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 28: Joe Hart of Manchester City warms up prior to the Premier League match between Manchester City and West Ham United at Etihad Stadium on August 28, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Joe Hart‘s Manchester City departure seems all but complete.

According to a report in Italy, the goalkeeper’s agent has confirmed a loan move to Torino is complete pending a medical.

“Yes, Joe Hart will play for Toro,” agent Jonathan Barnett told Tuttosport. “It’s all done, the goalkeeper said yes to the Granata and now Manchester City have given the green light. It’s all true, it’s secured. Tomorrow Hart will have a medical in Turin.”

Earlier Monday, it was reported that Hart was considering the offer but had not decided yet if this was the right course of action. Reports over the last week have stated the 29-year-old has been looking to leave Manchester City after being benched by Pep Guardiola, but preferred a permanent move to a loan due to the uncertainty for his family that comes with the short-term nature of a loan.

To back this up, Sky Sports reporter Gemma Davis tweeted that Hart has been given permission leave the England squad to travel to Torino for a medical. This is unlikely to affect Hart’s place in the England team, given they do not play until Sunday.

After two games in Serie A play, Torino sits seventh in the league table with a win and a loss so far. 30-year-old Daniele Padelli has started both games in goal, playing the full 90 minutes. Padelli has been the main man for Torino since his arrival in 2013, missing just a chunk of games two seasons ago when benched early in the year.

Reports: Nigel de Jong preparing to leave LA Galaxy for Galatasaray

Los Angeles Galaxy's Nigel de Jong, right, strikes the ball in front of San Jose Earthquakes' Quincy Amarikwa during the first half of a MLS soccer game Saturday, March 19, 2016, in Carson, Calif. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Multiple reports across both the United States and the Netherlands have claimed Nigel de Jong is close to a move to Turkish giants Galatasaray.

A report by AD writer Maarten Wijffles states that De Jong is currently in the country for talks. However, while L.A. Times writer Keith Baxter confirms that a deal is in progress, he claims the player is still currently situated in the United States and has not left for Turkey yet.

According to reports in Turkey, Galatasaray began its interest in De Jong only recently, when Newcastle enforcer Cheick Tiote apparently failed a medical. Other reports citing sources with Newcastle and the player have disputed this, saying talks instead broke down over personal terms.

De Jong had only joined Los Angeles at the end of the January transfer window, moving from A.C. Milan after the termination of his contract. The 31-year-old Dutchman made 18 appearances for the Galaxy and did not score a goal.

Between Tiote and De Jong, the Turkish club is clearly targeting a certain style of player. De Jong has been known throughout his career as a midfield enforcer, sometimes on the border of dirty play, and that did not change during his short time in Major League Soccer. He made several cringe-worthy tackles, including one in April on Darlington Nagbe that caused many to fear for Nagbe’s career until it was revealed he suffered just a sprained knee. Another in early July earned De Jong a straight red card against Vancouver in early July.

The Dutchman was thought to be taking over Steven Gerrard‘s Designated Player spot next year after his retirement at the end of the current season, but De Jong’s departure means the Galaxy could have an open DP slot next season.

Lionel Messi picks up hamstring injury, will travel with Argentina anyways

BARCELONA, SPAIN - AUGUST 20: Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona looks on during the La Liga match between FC Barcelona and Real Betis Balompie at Camp Nou on August 20, 2016 in Barcelona, Spain. (Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi’s “return” to the Argentinian national team may have to wait.

Barcelona has revealed their superstar picked up a left hamstring injury at an unspecified time, and discovered them during tests earlier on Monday. The statement said he would still travel to Argentina to link up with the national team for the international break, and will have more tests there.

Argentina, sitting in the third spot in CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying and just two points above elimination, have vital matches against Uruguay and Venezuela over the next week. “His presence in those matches will depend on how the injury develops,” the statement from Barcelona read.

It is unclear when Messi developed this injury. He has played the full 90 minutes in all four of Barcelona’s matches this season, including the 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, the first of the four matches in which he did not score or assist a goal.

This also could be a bit of gamesmanship from Barcelona. Obviously, it benefits clubs for their players to rest during international breaks instead of play international matches, and for them to suddenly announce an injury to Lionel Messi would put pressure on Argentina to consider sitting their superstar. Of course, in attempts to dispel this idea, Barcelona included in their statement that the injury report was “approved by the FC Barcelona Medical Services and the Argentinian Football Association.”

A legitimate injury to Messi would be a devastating blow to Argentina considering Sergio Aguero has already withdrawn from the squad following an injury picked up against West Ham this weekend. Aguero was substituted in the 88th minute of Manchester City’s 3-1 win over the Hammers.

Messi was expected to make his first appearance to the national team setup after his brief “retirement” following the loss in the Copa America finals.

VIDEO: What will Southampton’s new star Boufal provide?

Leave a comment

Sofiane Boufal is a name many will be familiar with.

After his $21 million move to Southampton on Monday for a club-record fee, plenty of people are getting excited about seeing Boufal in the Premier League.

The Moroccan international is the type of player who has already become a cult figure due to the “Football Manager” video game, as his potential to become a star of European soccer has been well documented with huge teams interested in signing him over the past six months.

[ MORE: Fabregas wants Chelsea stay ]

That’s because Boufal, 22, shone for Lille last season, scoring 12 goals and his trickery, pace, set pieces and direct running saw him named as the best African player in Ligue 1.

He chose Southampton and it seems like a very wise choice after they helped turn the likes of Sadio Mane, Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw, plus many more, into top international players.

So, what have Southampton got in Boufal?

Take a look at the video above which gives a great overview of Boufal from his time at Lille after making the step up from Angers in Ligue 2 in January 2015.

That’s right, those comparisons with Riyad Mahrez seem pretty legit.