Borussia Dortmund's Lewandowski walks past his coach Klopp during the Telekom Cup soccer match against Borussia Moenchengladbach in Moenchengladbach

Spat continues as Jurgen Klopp dismisses Lewandowski’s complaints

4 Comments

Robert Lewandowski won’t be a Borussia Dortmund player next season, we all know that. Even Dortmund’s manager Jurgen Klopp has said so.

But while he’s there, Klopp doesn’t expect any problems. At all.

Yesterday Lewandowski accused directors of failing to keep their word after blocking any potential move to Bayern Munich over the summer. So now Lewandowski will have to wait out his contract until it expires next year and leave Dortmund for nothing.

However Klopp is standing firm and isn’t concerned with what the Polish international is saying.

“For me what he does is a thousand times more important than what he says because what he does needs no interpretation,” Klopp said.”Whatever is left to be discussed will be discussed internally. The idea is to close this subject. Everything is in order. Nothing has changed since yesterday or the day before yesterday. I am convinced we will clear up everything in the coming days.”

So does that mean Lewandowski’s sulking around the place will stop? Will the directors and manager come to an agreement to sell him? Or maybe they will get the 24-year-old to sign a new cont… scratch that, never in a million years will that happen.

Has Lewandowski forced Klopp and Dortmund into a corner with his accusations? After leading Dortmund to the Champions League final and hammering home four goals in the 4-1 semifinal home win against Real Madrid, Lewandowski seems to have got above his station a little bit.

(MORE: Borussia Dortmund’s goal — minimizing Robert Lewandowski’s grudge)

Yes, he put in some stunning displays and led the line admirably against the elite of European soccer. But he did have the support form some of Europe’s leading midfielders feeding him chance after chance.

This is was Lewandowski was quoted as saying about the tricky situation he is now in at Dortmund.

I always give everything. To be honest with you I feel cheated by Borussia. I don’t know if I will be unaffected by the situation. It’s there in my subconscious and there will be a time when I will turn up for a game in a bad mood.

He seems to have thrown all the faith and trust Dortmund put in him back in their faces. When he left Poland’s Lech Poznań at the age of 21, Lewandowski failed to settle straight away in Germany. But BVB kept faith in him and now he’s developed into one of the hottest properties in Europe. He’s done it himself, but don’t be fooled because Borussia have helped him plenty along the way.

Should the German club been more accommodating and let Lewandwoski leave this summer? Perhaps. It seems pretty stubborn and silly that they will loose out on millions of dollars just because they didn’t want to sell Lewandowski to Bayern after losing Mario Goëtze to their Bundesliga rivals earlier in the summer.

However this plays out, there will be no great winner. Lewandowski looks like the bad guy for turning his back on Dortmund and the club look silly for keeping a player around who clearly doesn’t want to, and won’t, be there nine months from now.

Something has to give. Maybe the next few days will seem some movement, as the giant Pole looks to move on. But he should remember, the grass isn’t always greener in Bavaria.

Report: Chelsea making first waves in $88m Bernardo chase

MONACO - NOVEMBER 22:  Bernardo Silva of Monaco  during the UEFA Champions League Group E match between AS Monaco FC and Tottenham Hotspur FC  at Louis II Stadium on November 22, 2016 in Monaco, .  (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images)
Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monaco has slapped a massive price tag on Bernardo Silva, and The Times says that isn’t stopping Chelsea.

Antonio Conte is trying to land the 22-year-old Portuguese attacker according to the report, which says that the Blues are already chatting up the Ligue 1 outfit.

[ MORE: Wenger’s Sutton pitch worry ]

Silva has six goals and seven assists in France’s top flight this season, adding another three in the UEFA Champions League. He did not appear at EURO 2016 thanks to a hamstring injury, as Portugal won the Henri Delaunay Trophy.

Chelsea is ready to spend $88 million on the right winger, who can also play in a attacking center mid role. From The Times:

Monaco would like to secure a minimum of €80m (£68.4m) for Bernardo, who is comfortable operating on either the left or right wing or as a number 10. With Barcelona, Real Madrid and both Manchester clubs also expressing their interest Monaco, who play Manchester City in the Champions League on Tuesday, believe a money-spinning auction may develop.

Transfer prices can be hard to predict, but is Silva the sort of talent that will tempt nine figures? We’ve been surprised before, and at his age it’s possible, but color us skeptical.

AEK Athens beats Greek league leader Olympiakos 1-0

@pegas11
Twitter/@pegas11
Leave a comment

ATHENS, Greece (AP) AEK Athens defeated Greek league leader Olympiakos 1-0 in an ill-tempered game on Sunday that saw 12 yellow cards and two dismissals.

[ MORE: Messi brace rescues Barca, Pescara earns second win of season ]

Astrit Ajdarevic scored the only goal in the 34th minute with a free kick that deflected off Olympiakos defender Manuel da Costa.

Olympiakos’ athletic director Francois Modesto was sent to the stands for protesting about the lead-up to AEK’s goal. His team’s central defender Alberto Botia was dismissed after a second yellow card in the 75th for pulling an advancing AEK forward’s jersey.

Despite the defeat, its second of the season, Olympiakos has a 10-point cushion over second-place Panionios, which beat 10-man Iraklis 1-0.

PAOK, a 4-0 winner over Veria, remains in third place, one point ahead of Panathinaikos, which beat Asteras 5-0 on Saturday. AEK is joint fifth with Xanthi.

PSG drops points against Toulouse days after massive UCL win

PARIS, FRANCE - FEBRUARY 14:  Julian Draxler of Paris Saint-Germain looks on during the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 first leg match between Paris Saint-Germain and FC Barcelona at Parc des Princes on February 14, 2017 in Paris, France.  (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)
Clive Rose/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Just days after its massive (and somewhat unexpected) beatdown of Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain failed to close the gap on league leaders Monaco.

[ MORE: Messi brace rescues Barca, Pescara earns second win ]

PSG settled for a 0-0 draw on Sunday at the Parc des Princes against eighth-place Toulouse, leaving the Parisian side three points behind Monaco through 26 rounds of action.

[ MORE: Bielsa returns to Ligue 1 with Lille ]

Despite holding the visitors to just three shots (one on target), Toulouse managed to contain a rampant PSG attack, which posted four goals midweek in their rout of the Blaugrana.

PSG’s first strong chance came in the 14th minute when Lucas Moura’s effort was saved in the bottom corner by goalkeeper Alban Lafont.

Meanwhile, Edinson Cavani may have had the game’s best opportunity to break the deadlock when the Uruguayan attacker struck the post from inside the penalty area.

Unai Emery’s group will be back in action on Feb. 26 when PSG travels to Dimitri Payet and Marseille.

Wenger worried over Sutton’s pitch heading Monday’s clash

SUTTON, GREATER LONDON - FEBRUARY 16:  Pundits Paul Merson (4L) and Matt Le Tissier (2L) take part in a training session alongside Paul Doswell manager of Sutton United (L) and players during a Sutton United FA Cup media day on February 16, 2017 at the Borough Sports Ground in Sutton, Greater London. Sutton United are due to face Arsenal in the Emirates FA Cup Fifth round on 20 February.  (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)
Ian Walton/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The story of Monday’s encounter between Arsenal and fifth-division Sutton United will be whether the minnows can overcome the mighty Gunners.

[ MORE: Mourinho pleased with United’s “attitude” against Blackburn ]

However, Arsene Wenger already fears a bigger challenge within the game, one that concerns his players’ safety.

Sutton’s 5,000-seat Gander Green Lane features an artificial surface, which is largely uncommon for English and most European venues regardless of club standing.

“First of all the pitch. Secondly their enthusiasm. Thirdly that we are not ready mentally for a big fight and think subconsciously that it doesn’t matter,” Wenger said ahead of Monday’s FA Cup meeting in South London.

In preparation for their meeting with the U’s, Wenger had his side train on their own indoor artificial field on Friday.

“Look, ideally we would like to play on a normal pitch. Competition is as well to deal with what you face, and we’ll face an unusual pitch and we’ll have to deal with it,” he said.

“We practice inside [on Friday] because we have an artificial pitch. It’s not the same as it’s a dry pitch, and at Sutton I’ve heard that’s a wet pitch, they water it before the game. So it will be much quicker than what we have.”