Cristiano Ronaldo lit Sun Life Stadium up last night, scoring two goals to help Real Madrid defeat Chelsea 3-1 and hand Los Blancos the first ever International Champions Cup.
Ronaldo’s brace denied former boss Jose Mourinho his first piece of silverware since returning back to Chelsea after a three year stint at Real Madrid. The feat also gave CR7’s new manager, Carlo Ancelotti, his first title after the former Chelsea boss arrived in the Santiago Bernabéu earlier this summer.
Madrid came out firing and within the first 15 minutes had their lead. Luka Modric slipped a simple ball past a stagnant Ramires and into Marcelo, who turned, got Gary Cahill to bite on a left footed step-over and fired a low shot to the far post that Petr Cech couldn’t handle.
Two minutes later and Ramires would get his revenge. The Brazilian slipped a tight pass into Romelu Lukaku just beyond midfield and the Belgian striker returned a delicate touch back to Ramires. With a full head of steam Ramires burst through the Madrid defense, setting up a one-on-one with Iker Casillas. In shades of his memorable Champions League goal against Barcelona in 2012, Ramires cooly stabbed the ball over Casillas’ head to level the match at one apiece.
After both sides exchanged efforts that came close, Ronaldo corralled the ball 25 yards away from goal when Ivanovic laid into him resulting in a free kick. In his vintage ‘Gunslinger’ pose, Ronaldo stood over the ball before unleashing a ferocious free-kick (see video below) that knuckled under the bar and beyond the out-stretched reach of Cech to hand Madrid the 2-1 edge.
In the second stanza Casillas did well to deny Ivanovic his glancing header in the 50th minute and six minutes later, Ronaldo had his double. New-boy Isco, who has been so good throughout this tournament, got the ball on the left side of the Chelsea box, shook Ivanovic to create a yard of space, and curled in a perfect cross that the galloping Ronaldo snapped into the back of the net.
As both sides made changes the match slinked into its final phase with Chelsea unable to produce the goal to offset the 3-1 scoreline.
Joe Hart‘s Manchester City departure seems all but complete.
According to a report in Italy, the goalkeeper’s agent has confirmed a loan move to Torino is complete pending a medical.
“Yes, Joe Hart will play for Toro,” agent Jonathan Barnett told Tuttosport. “It’s all done, the goalkeeper said yes to the Granata and now Manchester City have given the green light. It’s all true, it’s secured. Tomorrow Hart will have a medical in Turin.”
Earlier Monday, it was reported that Hart was considering the offer but had not decided yet if this was the right course of action. Reports over the last week have stated the 29-year-old has been looking to leave Manchester City after being benched by Pep Guardiola, but preferred a permanent move to a loan due to the uncertainty for his family that comes with the short-term nature of a loan.
To back this up, Sky Sports reporter Gemma Davis tweeted that Hart has been given permission leave the England squad to travel to Torino for a medical. This is unlikely to affect Hart’s place in the England team, given they do not play until Sunday.
After two games in Serie A play, Torino sits seventh in the league table with a win and a loss so far. 30-year-old Daniele Padelli has started both games in goal, playing the full 90 minutes. Padelli has been the main man for Torino since his arrival in 2013, missing just a chunk of games two seasons ago when benched early in the year.
Multiple reports across both the United States and the Netherlands have claimed Nigel de Jong is close to a move to Turkish giants Galatasaray.
A report by AD writer Maarten Wijffles states that De Jong is currently in the country for talks. However, while L.A. Times writer Keith Baxter confirms that a deal is in progress, he claims the player is still currently situated in the United States and has not left for Turkey yet.
According to reports in Turkey, Galatasaray began its interest in De Jong only recently, when Newcastle enforcer Cheick Tiote apparently failed a medical. Other reports citing sources with Newcastle and the player have disputed this, saying talks instead broke down over personal terms.
De Jong had only joined Los Angeles at the end of the January transfer window, moving from A.C. Milan after the termination of his contract. The 31-year-old Dutchman made 18 appearances for the Galaxy and did not score a goal.
Between Tiote and De Jong, the Turkish club is clearly targeting a certain style of player. De Jong has been known throughout his career as a midfield enforcer, sometimes on the border of dirty play, and that did not change during his short time in Major League Soccer. He made several cringe-worthy tackles, including one in April on Darlington Nagbe that caused many to fear for Nagbe’s career until it was revealed he suffered just a sprained knee. Another in early July earned De Jong a straight red card against Vancouver in early July.
The Dutchman was thought to be taking over Steven Gerrard‘s Designated Player spot next year after his retirement at the end of the current season, but De Jong’s departure means the Galaxy could have an open DP slot next season.
Lionel Messi’s “return” to the Argentinian national team may have to wait.
Barcelona has revealed their superstar picked up a left hamstring injury at an unspecified time, and discovered them during tests earlier on Monday. The statement said he would still travel to Argentina to link up with the national team for the international break, and will have more tests there.
Argentina, sitting in the third spot in CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying and just two points above elimination, have vital matches against Uruguay and Venezuela over the next week. “His presence in those matches will depend on how the injury develops,” the statement from Barcelona read.
It is unclear when Messi developed this injury. He has played the full 90 minutes in all four of Barcelona’s matches this season, including the 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, the first of the four matches in which he did not score or assist a goal.
This also could be a bit of gamesmanship from Barcelona. Obviously, it benefits clubs for their players to rest during international breaks instead of play international matches, and for them to suddenly announce an injury to Lionel Messi would put pressure on Argentina to consider sitting their superstar. Of course, in attempts to dispel this idea, Barcelona included in their statement that the injury report was “approved by the FC Barcelona Medical Services and the Argentinian Football Association.”
A legitimate injury to Messi would be a devastating blow to Argentina considering Sergio Aguero has already withdrawn from the squad following an injury picked up against West Ham this weekend. Aguero was substituted in the 88th minute of Manchester City’s 3-1 win over the Hammers.
Messi was expected to make his first appearance to the national team setup after his brief “retirement” following the loss in the Copa America finals.
Sofiane Boufal is a name many will be familiar with.
After his $21 million move to Southampton on Monday for a club-record fee, plenty of people are getting excited about seeing Boufal in the Premier League.
The Moroccan international is the type of player who has already become a cult figure due to the “Football Manager” video game, as his potential to become a star of European soccer has been well documented with huge teams interested in signing him over the past six months.
[ MORE: Fabregas wants Chelsea stay ]
That’s because Boufal, 22, shone for Lille last season, scoring 12 goals and his trickery, pace, set pieces and direct running saw him named as the best African player in Ligue 1.
He chose Southampton and it seems like a very wise choice after they helped turn the likes of Sadio Mane, Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw, plus many more, into top international players.
So, what have Southampton got in Boufal?
Take a look at the video above which gives a great overview of Boufal from his time at Lille after making the step up from Angers in Ligue 2 in January 2015.
That’s right, those comparisons with Riyad Mahrez seem pretty legit.