FBL-ENG-PR-LIVERPOOL-ASIA-THA

Never-ending saga: John Henry says Suarez not for sale, Suarez wants out

5 Comments

On a daily basis we get to hear from both sides of the camp.

And on a daily basis the situation between Liverpool Football Club and Luis Suárez stays the same.

“He’s not going anywhere” from owner John W Henry is followed by “I want to leave” by Suárez. Yet nothing happens, and nothing is likely to happen for quite some time.

Liverpool’s owner has once again reiterated the clubs stance on Suárez wish to move to Arsenal: not going to happen, Luis. Or something to that effect.

In fact, here’s exactly what Liverpool’s mega-rich American owner said.

“We are not going to sell Luis. It’s a football reason. It’s not finances. At this point, so late in window, with everyone who’s already moved or isn’t moving, we do not have time to replace him,” Henry continued. “So for football reasons we can’t – and especially to Arsenal. We’ve made that clear. I have said to Ivan Gazidis [Arsenal Chief Executive] in a personal conversation that we will not sell to Arsenal.”

(MORE: Suarez told to train on his own by Brendan Rodgers)

So Suárez is threatening legal issue as he believes a clause in his contract was triggered by Arsenal’s cheeky bid of £40 million + £1. He has been ordered to train with the reserves and is away from the first-team picture. He has embarrassed himself but clearly wants the move to play Champions League soccer. More on that shortly.

But first, yesterday another important passer-by threw his two cents into the debate. Former Liverpool great Jamie Carragher who retired at the end of last season (after 17 years of service to Liverpool) and has played with Suárez throughout the Uruguayan’s time at the Reds.

(MORE: Latest twist in Luis Suårez saga, Liverpool’s American owner says he will not leave)

All is not well on the training ground and Suárez’ professionalism was called into question, as Carragher witnessed his poor performance in training last week.

“He can’t carry on the way he’s been carrying on. Brendan Rodgers has come out and said that nobody is bigger than the club and that’s exactly right,” Carragher said. “It’s also how he’s coming across as a person to the Liverpool public and the country in general. Sometimes you’ve got to remember how people are seeing the situation and how people are looking at you.”

However, in terms of Suárez demanding Champions League soccer, Arsenal just got a very tough draw against Turkish side Fenerbache in the play-off round, so will he wait until they seal their place in the group stage before moving? He must do. So this will go on until August 28 at least. At least.

This never-ending saga shows no sign of reaching a conclusion. Arsenal want Suárez. Liverpool want Suárez. While Suárez will do anything to get away from Liverpool. Who will blink first and bow to pressure from the other side?

Southampton: Van Dijk won’t leave, selling days likely done

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - MARCH 29:  Ralph Krueger the Southampton Chairman looks on during the Barclays Premier League match between Southampton and Newcastle United at St Mary's Stadium on March 29, 2014 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ralph Krueger doesn’t plan on selling any more big Southampton stars, and there’s none brighter than Virgil Van Dijk.

The Dutchman is perhaps the best center back in the Premier League, regularly linked with transfers to anywhere from Manchester City to Liverpool.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

But Krueger says Saints have had enough of selling big assets. Southampton has sold Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Sadio Mane, and Nathaniel Clyne in the past three seasons, and those are just the names to go to Liverpool. Morgan Schneiderlin and Victor Wanyama have also moved on from St. Mary’s.

From Sky Sports:

“We would like to move away from that and we feel confident this summer will be a lot quieter in Southampton and we can keep the core of this team moving forward for a few years.

“That is going to be important when you see how excellent the group is right now and how exciting the football is. The game we are playing is a pleasure to watch and a pleasure to be part of.”

Saints were the more effective side in a 3-2 EFL Cup Final loss to Manchester United this weekend, but are well off the pace in the race to make back-to-back trips into Europe.

It will be hard to hold onto Van Dijk and even new bright light Manolo Gabbiadini without Europe, but Krueger is a strong leader with the ability to convince almost anyone to buy into a plan.

Real Salt Lake signs Plata to multi-year DP deal

Real Salt Lake forward Joao Plata (8) gestures while walking during an MLS soccer game against New York City FC Saturday, May 23, 2015, in Sandy, Utah. (Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP) DESERET NEWS OUT; LOCAL TELEVISION OUT; MAGS OUT
Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP
Leave a comment

SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has re-signed forward Joao Plata to a multi-year contract and he will continue to hold a designated-player spot.

The 24-year-old was acquired from Toronto FC before the 2013 season and he has 30 goals and 30 assists in regular-season play with RSL.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

Plata ranks No. 3 on the team’s all-time assists list and No. 5 in goals. He has 33 goals and 35 assists during his MLS career.

Real Salt Lake begins the season Saturday when it hosts Toronto FC.

Gotze out indefinitely with metabolism disorder

ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS - NOVEMBER 06:  Mario Goetze (R) and Ann-Kathrin Broemmel attend the MTV Europe Music Awards 2016 on November 6, 2016 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.  (Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV)
Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze’s last few seasons have not fulfilled the expectations thrust about the World Cup-winning attacker.

Gotze, 24, scored the 113th minute goal that lifted Germany past Argentina in the 2014 World Cup, but has endured successive disappointing seasons between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

With just two goals this season, Gotze has played just 24 minutes since BVB came back from winter break. On Monday, the club revealed why: a metabolism disorder that will keep him out for an indefinite period of time. From Sky Sports:

“We are glad to know the reasons for Mario’s complaints and we are convinced that after recovering he will give us extra quality with his exceptional abilities,” said Dortmund’s director of sport Michael Zorc.

“Mario gets the full backing and maximum support from all of us at Borussia Dortmund on his way back.”

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Gotze at his best, and here’s hoping this problem is both curable and the reason for his struggles.

Liverpool hires EA Sports executive as new CEO

Leave a comment

Liverpool has named Peter Moore as the successor to chief executive office Ian Ayre.

Ayre, 53, is off to 1860 Munich this summer, and has stepped down early to allow Moore to take over.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

A Liverpool-born executive, Moore was the chief operating officer at EA Sports and has also worked with Microsoft and SEGA.

The move “completes a transitional phase” which saw several new names join the fray. From The Liverpool Echo:

The appointment completes a transition plan by FSG which included appointing Michael Edwards as sporting director while Billy Hogan was promoted to the role of managing director and chief commercial officer.