Clint Dempsey

Hearing from Jurgen Klinsmann on Clint Dempsey’s roster omission


It should be obvious to everyone why Clint Dempsey is not part of the 23-man U.S. roster named Monday by Jurgen Klinsmann for this week’s quick in-and-out to face Bosnia-Herzegovina in Sarajevo.

It should be.

After all, Graham Zusi, Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler and others from the MLS side of the U.S. player pool were also sidelined for this mid-week quickie. It really is a case of “Nothing to see here, folks. Just move along … “

But the U.S. Soccer community can be a cynical and sometimes conspiratorial place. A corner of the fandom and some in the chattering class are inclined to believe that Dempsey may have just landed on Jurgen Klinsmann’s naughty list.

(MORE: Notes and conclusions from Monday’s roster announcement)

While it’s true that Klinsmann encourages ambition, and while it’s true that the manager’s constant harping on individual improvement, what I like to call the “blessedness of discontent,” is a bedrock of his home improvement initiative, I just don’t buy it. Dempsey’s move back into MLS may not have been Klinsmann’s first choice for his team captain, but it’s hardly a deal-killer in their relationship.

It may take a slight edge off Dempsey’s game, but does anyone truly believe the man suddenly devolved into a substantially diminished talent just by switching from one jersey to another?

Don’t take my word for it. Here’s what Klinsmann said this morning in a U.S. Soccer Q&A:

“It’s been a huge week. Having Clint back in the United States and joining MLS is big and I think everyone in the U.S. is excited about the news. I am thrilled for MLS because you have an outstanding player now hopefully filling more stadiums and getting even more kids and people excited about the game. For Clint it’s a challenge, coming from one of the top leagues in the world, coming back to the U.S. and being back in MLS where we still have to work on a lot of things. Clint himself has set the highest benchmark for himself over the last year. He became our captain and he has to keep that benchmark and he knows that. I told him that over the last two years that he’s got to go for the next level. Obviously we want the best Clint Dempsey ever and that’s what we’re going to push him toward as we begin to look toward Brazil. He has set a high standard for himself, and it’s up to us coaches to make sure he keeps that high standard.”

Klinsmann noted the distance involved for a mid-week contest between MLS match days. And he referenced Dempsey still being in preseason. Better, the manager said, for Dempsey to remain in Seattle and get himself ready for the more-important U.S. World Cup qualifiers coming up in September.

Ferguson still being asked about Moyes: “We chose a good football man”

David Moyes Alex Ferguson
AP Photo/Martin Rickett/PA
Leave a comment

In some ways absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it seems Sir Alex Ferguson‘s life after Manchester United has been filled with second guessing.

Whether the sales of Paul Pogba and Gerard Pique or the appointment of David Moyes, “Fergie” apparently can’t rest on his title-winning laurels.

[ MORE: Tax evasion charges dropped against Messi, but not his father ]

One thing that seems to bug him more than anything, though, is the idea that he hand-picked David Moyes to be his successor, and should be responsible for his failings.

In a new documentary, Ferguson both defends the appointment of Moyes and explains the process behind his choice.

From the BBC:

“I don’t think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man,” Ferguson says. “Unfortunately it didn’t work for David.

“Jose Mourinho was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis Van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.”

The article also makes another key point, according to Ferguson: the manager claims he only gave United a few months notice that he’d be stepping down. That certainly didn’t provide a lot of lead time to secure a big boss.

What do you make it of it? If your answer is, “When can we stop talking about Moyes and United?” I tend to be with you, but it’s a talking point.

Tax evasion charges against Messi dropped; Case vs father continues

FILE - In this Sept. 27, 2013 file photo, Barcelona F.C. star Lionel Messi, left, arrives at a court to answer questions in a tax fraud case in Gava, near Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona prosecutors are calling for the arrest of Messi's father in a tax fraud case. Prosecutors have cleared Messi of wrongdoing but are seeking an 18-month prison sentence for his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, for allegedly defrauding Spain's tax office of 4 million euros ($4.5 million) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti, File)
AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi will not face charges that he and his father defrauded the government in millions of unpaid taxes, though his father is not so lucky.

Messi’s father, Jorge, could face 18 months in jail and an approximate $2.25 million fine despite a voluntary payment of $5.5 million in 2013 to “correct” the missed taxes.

[ WATCH: Hilarious spoof pegs Messi, Ronaldo as “Friends” ]

The Barcleona star had plead ignorance to the charges, something that failed to impress prosecutors. But, it apparently worked out in his favor on Tuesday.

From the BBC:

Prosecutors allege that Jorge avoiding paying tax on his son’s earnings by using offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay between 2007 and 2009.

Messi’s lawyers argued that the player had “never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing” the contracts, El Pais newspaper reported.