Arsenal lose out on another transfer target, as Luiz Gustavo joins Wolfsburg

4 Comments

What a bad summer it has been for Arsene Wenger in the transfer market.

Today the Gunners lost out on yet another potential signing, as Brazilian midfielder Luiz Gustavo signed for Bundesliga side Wolfsburg from Bayern Munich on a five-year deal.

The holding midfielder was said to be a long-term target for both Arsenal and Chelsea, but he has decided to stay in Germany rather than heading to the PL.

Gustavo has been searching for regular soccer all summer, despite several good seasons for Bayern Munich. New manager Pep Guardiola has signed a plethora of new midfielders and the combative 26-year-old wasn’t part of his plans.

Many believed Gustavo would be the perfect foil to Jack Wilshere in Arsenal’s engine room, with Mikel Arteta and Aaron Ramsey hit and miss at best over the past two seasons.

(MORE: Asene Wenger hears your transfer concerns, and he doesn’t care)

So, Gustavo has decided to stay in the Bundesliga. Maybe he wanted to stay in a league familiar to him heading into the 2014 World Cup in Brazil? Or maybe, Arsenal just aren’t the attractive proposition they once were.

No doubt Wenger has a hugely talented squad at his disposal. But any potential signing will want to win trophies and challenge for titles. Once again this season, the Gunners may flatter to deceive on both counts.

The North London side have been tracking Luis Suárez but don’t look like landing the Uruguayan unless Liverpool have a huge change of heart. Earlier in the summer Gonzalo Higuain turned down the chance to sign and instead went to Napoli and rumors of Wayne Rooney turning down a move to Arsenal have also surfaced.

Arsenal have aimed big. But they’re striking out every single time. Where do they go from here?

To be honest, unless a big name attacking player becomes available, they may as well just stick with what they have. Olivier Giroud is a decent target man and showed in spells that he can terrorize opposition defenses. While Wilshere, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are three of England’s brightest young talents.

It isn’t all bad news.

But what is the point of Wenger unleashing his considerable war chest )so we’re told) to land a player that won’t make a difference? You can understand if the Higuain deal came off and the Gunners spent $50 million. He is pure class and would add 20-25 goals per season. But why spend $15-20 million on a player who may do an okay job.

At this point their squad should stay the same.

They’ve got time to spend if they want but don’t forget Arsenal were unbeaten in their final 10 games last season, winning eight of them. If they could add one more top quality player, it will make the world of difference. If they don’t, it’s not the end of the world.

Either way, it’s been a frustrating summer for Wenger and Arsenal’s fans.

Prosecutors question Beckenbauer in World Cup fraud case

Boris Streubel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

BERN, Switzerland (AP) Swiss authorities say prosecutors have questioned Germany soccer great Franz Beckenbauer in their ongoing World Cup fraud case.

[ MORE: Shorthanded USMNT looks to build momentum vs. Honduras ]

Criminal proceedings against Beckenbauer and three other German members of the 2006 World Cup organizing committee were opened in 2015. The four are suspected of fraud, money laundering, criminal mismanagement, and misappropriation relating to a payment of 6.7 million euros ($7 million) to FIFA in 2005.

[ MORE: Five questions for USMNT ahead of Honduras WCQ ]

The Swiss attorney general’s office said in a statement to The Associated Press on Thursday that federal prosecutors questioned Beckenbauer earlier in the day in Bern, adding that “Beckenbauer was cooperative.”

Beckenbauer’s home in Austria was raided last year for evidence on behalf of Swiss federal prosecutors investigating corruption linked to FIFA.

Report: Man City launching massive bid for AC Milan’s Donnarumma

Maurizio Lagana/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Gianluigi Donnarumma has quickly established himself as the best young goalkeeper in European soccer, and AC Milan won’t be letting the 18-year-old go without a pretty penny in return.

[ MORE: Schedule, preview for UEFA World Cup qualifying ]

According to Sky Sport Italia, Manchester City is preparing a massive bid in the range of $130 to $160 million to acquire the AC Milan shot-stopper as the English side’s goalkeeping situation is still unsettled.

The Citizens have failed to hunker down at the goalkeeper position this season despite spending big to bring in Barcelona’s Claudio Bravo, who has underperformed. Willy Caballero has also been shaky at times for the English giants, while on-loan keeper Joe Hart will almost certainly move on from the club over the summer.

Donnarumma is currently second in Serie A in saves (110), trailing only Crotone’s Alex Cordaz, who has stopped two more shots.

Since turning professional in 2015, Donnarumma has quickly enjoyed his rise through Italian football for both AC Milan and with the national team. After previously featuring for the Under-15, U-17 and U-21 sides, Donnarumma has established himself as the surefire replacement for Gianluigi Buffon once he retires from the international game.

Honduran federation suggests U.S. Soccer gamesmanship ahead of WCQ

Pedro Vilela/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Three critical points are on the line for the U.S. Men’s National Team and Honduras on Friday night when CONCACAF World Cup qualifying returns to action, but the Central American side may have some added motivation.

[ MORE: Shorthanded USMNT looks to build momentum vs. Honduras ]

In the lead up to their Hexagonal meeting in San Jose, California, Honduran federation president Jorge Salomon has suggested that his national team has had difficulty finding training facilities because of U.S. Soccer’s gamesmanship.

[ MORE: Five USMNT questions ahead of WCQs ]

Salomon told Honduran outlet Diez that Los Catrachos were forced to train in Fort Myers, Florida ahead of the match because of U.S. Soccer’s attempt to sabotage Honduras’ comfortability ahead of Friday.

“That’s why we went to (Fort Myers),” Salomon told Diez. “We found two (fields) but they weren’t up to the standard for a national team.

“They have blocked us from some fields to train, but that is part of the sporting psychological battle you face when you are the visiting team,” Salomon added. “It’s no problem, we have done a good job.”

Meanwhile, Goal USA is reporting that U.S. Soccer claims to have provided Honduras with the same resources that it does for every visiting opponent and that it was Honduras’ choice to train in Florida as “a cost-saving measure.”

Rapinoe named to USWNT roster ahead of April friendlies

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The U.S. Women’s National Team wasn’t at its best the last time they stepped out for the SheBelieves Cup, but Jill Ellis’ group will have a chance to find their feet again next month as they prepare to face Russia in a pair of friendlies.

[ MORE: Five questions for USMNT ahead of Honduras WCQ ]

Ellis announced her 24-player roster on Thursday, which was headlined by the inclusion of Seattle Reign midfielder Megan Rapinoe.

“This is our last chance to get together before the NWSL starts and we’ll take full advantage of the training time as well as the two matches against a team in preparation for the European championships,” said Ellis. “Following these matches, my staff and I will begin a heavy investment in attending and evaluating the NWSL games as well as tracking our players overseas before we get back together for our European trip in the summer. I’m very much looking forward to our domestic league starting.”

Back-to-back losses to England and France in the SheBelieves Cup gave the USWNT an unwanted start to 2017, however, the Russians will give the U.S. another strong test in April.

The USWNT will play the first of the two friendlies on April 6 in Dallas at Toyota Stadium before meeting the Russians three days later in Houston at BBVA Compass Stadium.

Here’s the entire 24-player roster for the USWNT ahead of their Russia friendlies.

Goalkeepers (3): Jane Campbell (Houston Dash), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)

Defenders (6): Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Ali Krieger (Orlando Pride), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Megan Oyster (Boston Breakers), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars)

Midfielders (8): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Rose Lavelle (Boston Breakers), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash/Manchester City), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Samantha Mewis (NC Courage), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign)

Forwards (7): Crystal Dunn (Chelsea FC), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride/Olympique Lyonnais, FRA), Kealia Ohai (Houston Dash), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (UCLA), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Lynn Williams (NC Courage)