Blackpool v Newcastle United - Pre Season Friendly

Four-goal loss only intensifies focus on Newcastle’s Cabaye

Leave a comment

Monday’s game at the Etihad was always going to be a tough one. Even under the best circumstances, Newcastle were likely to lose. But those long odds only underscored the need for the Magpies to be fully prepared at kickoff, and without Yohan Cabaye in the team, Newcastle were nowhere near their best.

Easy Monday, reports broke that Arsenal had made a Sunday bid for the French international, and while their initial inquiries were said to have been rebuffed, rumors held the Gunners would make another approach. Cabaye being left out of Newcastle’s game day 18 ignited intensified speculation.

After today’s match, a 4-0 loss to Manchester City, Pardew not only confirmed Arsenal’s bid but the effect it had on him, telling the press the offer was “below our valuation, for sure,” adding “It’s pretty obvious I’m upset about [the situation].”

“I didn’t see why [Arsenal] couldn’t give us the respect and honor of giving us till Tuesday morning,” Pardew said, adding it would have been “difficult (for Cabaye) to play in a game of [Monday’s] magnitude” after learning of the bid.

Pardew added that Newcastle did not tell the player of the bid; rather, Cabaye was informed by another source.

“We’ve prepared with the lad for three days,” Pardew continued. “I don’t think the result would’ve been the same if he had played.”

Cabaye’s dominance of the post-match questionning after a lopsided loss speaks to the intensity of the situation, though omitting him from the team had already sparked that controversy. When somebody as important as Cabaye is left out of an XI, it will prompt questions under normal circumstances. That the decision came after reports Arsenal had tabled a bid sent Newcastle’s world into a frenzy.

It’s not difficult to imagine the effect this has on a team. The magnitude, however, is more debatable. When he’s at his best, Cabaye’s capable of carrying Newcastle toward the top of the table, as he did two years ago when the Magpies competed for Champions League.  Even without the help he received that season, the 27-year-old can be the best player on a Europa League-caliber team, somebody who can serve as the focal point of your team.

Without him, Newcastle will have to find a new focus. As was evident at the Etihad, that’s easier said than done. Moussa Sissoko and Cheick Tiote need somebody to serve as a link. Papiss Cissé dropping to pick up the ball isn’t a solution. Yoan Gouffran in the middle didn’t work, and Hatem Ben Afra’s best in spurts, not as a tempo-setter.

And when you remove him from the team? On short notice? After preparing for City with him? That will cause uncertainty, if not outright doubt.

That’s why this Cabaye situation is so unsettling. Like most teams, Newcastle don’t have somebody who can slot right in and replace what Cabaye provides in the middle. And his teammates know that.

Given how scarce players like Cabaye are at clubs from which the Magpies could buy, there are no guarantees they’ll be able to replace him. Then again, if Newcastle have found a Cabaye once, we shouldn’t discount their ability to do so once more.

Serie A roundup: Khedira earns Juventus three points as Napoli defeats AC Milan

ROME, ITALY - AUGUST 27:  Sami Khedira #6 with his teammates of Juventus FC celebrates after scoring the opening goal during the Serie A match between SS Lazio and Juventus FC at Stadio Olimpico on August 27, 2016 in Rome, Italy.  (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Sami Khedira hasn’t found the field much since moving to Juventus two summers ago, but when he does, he has a striker’s eye.

The German bagged his eighth goal for Juventus in just his 28th appearance as the Italian giants went on the road and defeated Lazio 1-0.

A poor clear attempt by Lucas Biglia saw Paulo Dybala’s lofted ball over the top fall to Khedira, and he skittered the ball across the face of goal into the far corner. The win is the second of the year for Juventus after they took down Fiorentina in their opening match.

There was a goal-fest at Stadio San Paolo as Napoli defeated AC Milan 4-2 braces from Arkadiusz Milik and Jose Callejon. Milik’s came in the first-half, with the opener in 18th minute, a lucky bounce as Dries Mertens’ shot clattered off the post and fell in Milik’s lap. He doubled Napoli’s lead in the 33rd minute with a beautiful header into the far corner, out-jumping Juraj Kucka.

The second half saw a flurry of action. A pair of goals four minutes apart saw Milan tie things up as M’baye Niang and Suso brought them level. Then, the yellow cards came flying. As a result, Kucka and Niang were both sent off for second cautions. Jose Callejon took advantage, bagging his first in the 74th and doubling his tally in stoppage time in a ridiculous bit of play that saw Alessio Romagnoli try to swat Mertens’ cross away from the goal line…yes, as in with his hands.

It’s a wonder Romagnoli wasn’t sent off for his actions. Napoli

Simone Zaza joins West Ham on loan

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 07: Simone Zaza of Juventus in action during the Pre-Season Friendly between West Ham United and Juventus at The Olympic Stadium on August 7, 2016 in London, England. (Photo by Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images)
Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images
Leave a comment

West Ham has gone out and made several key moves this summer, but with uncertainty up front at the moment Slaven Bilic has added another forward.

On Sunday, the Hammers announced the signing of Italian striker Simone Zaza from reigning Serie A champions Juventus. The 25-year-old joins West Ham on a season-long loan deal with an option to buy pending a certain number of matches Zaza appears in.

With new signing Andre Ayew already expected to be out for several months with a rare thigh injury and reports stating Dimitri Payet could be on his way out, Zaza provides West Ham with a solid attacking option.

Zaza notched eight goals in all competitions last season for Juventus.

Report: Southampton intend to keep Jay Rodriguez this season

SOUTHAMPTON, UNITED KINGDOM - AUGUST 27: Jay Rodriguez of Southampton (L) celebrates after scoring his sides first goal during the Premier League match between Southampton and Sunderland at St Mary's Stadium on August 27, 2016 in Southampton, England. (Photo by Harry Trump/Getty Images)
Harry Trump/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Despite great interest for one of the Saints’ most in-demand attackers, Jay Rodriguez will likely stay put this summer for Southampton.

[ MORE: Rashford nets late winner to keep United perfect ]

After reports surfaced yesterday suggesting as many as three other Premier League sides were preparing to move in for the 27-year-old forward, Sky Sports is now reporting that Southampton is prepared to keep Rodriguez.

While a loan move could still be an option for the Englishman, Southampton will likely want to hold onto their forward.

West Bromwich, Hull City and Sunderland have all been linked to the goalscorer, with each side severely lacking up front with options. Hull and Sunderland especially will be seeking options at forward, as the Tigers boast just 14 healthy first-team players at this time and the Black Cats only have Jermain Defoe and Fabio Borini to lean on.

[ MORE: Hazard leads charge for Chelsea in dominating win over Burnley ]

After playing a combined four minutes in Southampton’s two opening matches this season, Rodriguez came on for the Saints on Saturday during the second half and provided Claude Puel‘s group with an equalizer in their 1-1 draw.

Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Middlesbrough (Lineups, Live Stream)

WEST BROMWICH, ENGLAND - AUGUST 28: The West Brom crest is seen prior to the Premier League match between West Bromwich Albion and Middlesbrough at The Hawthorns on August 28, 2016 in West Bromwich, England.  (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images)
Michael Steele/Getty Images
Leave a comment

West Bromwich Albion searches for its second win this season on Sunday when they take on Middlesbrough at 8:30 a.m. E.T. from The Hawthorns on CNBC or live online at NBCSports.com.

The Boro holds a narrow advantage in all-time meetings, with four wins out of eight, and Aitor Karanka‘s side certainly have the capabilities to pull off another victory against West Brom following a solid summer in the transfer window.

WATCH LIVE: West Bromwich Albion vs. Middlesbrough live online

Karanka’s men remain unbeaten through two matches, including last weekend’s narrow 2-1 victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

West Brom remains largely intact with its starting XI as Salomon Rondon gets the start up front for the Baggies. Tony Pulis‘ side has plenty of options off the bench as well, including Saido Berahino and Craig Gardner to provide a spark.

For Middlesbrough, U.S. international Brad Guzan will get the start in goal for the first time this season, as Victor Valdes remains sidelined with a hamstring injury. Alvaro Negredo looks to continue his fine start to the season after notching a goal and two assists in his first two matches.

LINEUPS

West Bromwich Albion – Foster; Dawson, McAuley, Evans, Galloway; Phillips, Yacob, Fletcher (c), Field, McClean; Rondon.
Bench – Rose; Olsson, Gardner, Lambert, Berahino, Leko, Wilson

Middlesbrough – Guzan, Nsue, Ayala, Gibson, Barragan, Forshaw, Clayton, Stuani, Ramirez, Downing, Negredo.
Bench – 
Dimi, Bernardo, Rhodes, Reach, Fischer, De Sart, Nugent.