Are there hints of Landon Donovan parting with MLS?

17 Comments

No rest for the negotiating weary. Just as the LA Galaxy get one soon-to-be-out-of-contract star tied up for a more extended hitch, they’ll need to begin worrying about another one. A more well-known one, in fact.

Landon Donovan’s deal with MLS is up at season’s end, just as Omar Gonzalez’s deal had been before a new contract was announced late last week.

Monday, during the debut episode of Fox Soccer Daily, Donovan revealed that his management team had already received other offers form lands beyond. More intriguingly, perhaps, Donovan indicated he was at a different point now, more willing to embrace a more permanent move overseas that has long eluded his liking.

What Donovan said on Fox Sports Daily:

We have received offers from teams in different countries that are intriguing. I’m still going to speak to the Galaxy and see where they value me and where they want to go, going forward.

“I’m really open in a way that I haven’t been before. In the past, I was pretty content to stay in L.A., but if it doesn’t work out and we can’t come to an agreement here, then I’m ready for a different challenge. And we’ll see what happens.”

There are two possibilities at work here. One, that at age 31, Donovan understands that it’s now or never for a move in Europe or perhaps even Mexico. (He’s fluent in Spanish, you know.)

The other possibility, the more likely scenario unfolding, is that the Galaxy and U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer is just creating some negotiating leverage for what could easily be his final contract. He could be looking at Clint Dempsey’s whopper deal – Donovan’s fellow U.S. international is now making around $5 million annually – and thinking that his own annual earnings of $2.5 million is looking a bit like thin soup.

Remember what we talked about yesterday, in regards to Gonzalez and how positioning within the U.S. national team is so critical ahead of a World Cup? Well, same applies to Donovan, and he’s sure smart enough to know so. On the one hand, moving to Europe would make Jurgen Kinsmann happy, indicating to the U.S. coach that Donovan remains interested in pushing past comfort zones and challenging himself.

(MORE: Further contract talk on Omar Gonzalez and World Cup spots)

Then again, it’s a risky gambit; if Donovan goes somewhere and fails to feature regularly, he has wasted so much international momentum collected during last month’s master class Gold Cup performance.

One more thing, too: Donovan told me last year about this time that statistical achievement absolutely does matter to him. He’s quite close to becoming Major League Soccer’s all-time leading scorer and could also be the league’s all-time assist leader. That doesn’t sound like a guy in a hurry to leave MLS – unless, of course, he gains the all-time goals mark this year, which may still happen.

(MORE: Donovan may become MLS all-time leader this year)

Dempsey’s last-second PK lifts Sounders past Minnesota

Getty Images
Leave a comment

SEATTLE (AP) Clint Dempsey converted a penalty kick in the final seconds of stoppage time on Sunday night, lifting the Seattle Sounders to a 2-1 victory over Minnesota United.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage

A corner kick by Seattle’s Joevin Jones floated into the penalty area, and Minnesota’s Jermaine Taylor was called for a hand ball in a scrum of players battling for possession. Dempsey stepped up and drilled his kick to the right side past Loons goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth in the fourth minute of stoppage.

Dempsey’s goal was his 11th of the year.

Referee Ismail Elfath blew the final whistle as soon as Minnesota kicked off.

Chad Marshall also scored for the Sounders (11-7-7), who tied a club record by extending their unbeaten streak to nine games (6-0-3). The team had an identical 6-0-3 mark from May 28-July 16, 2011.

Seattle was forced to rally after its club-record shutout streak ended at 421 minutes on a goal by Minnesota’s Ethan Finlay in the 21st minute.

The Loons (6-14-4, 22 points) are still looking for their first road win of the season. They are 0-8-2 away from Minneapolis.

MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 2-1 New England Revolution (video)

Twitter/@NYCFC
Leave a comment

The game in 100 words (or less): For nearly 75 minutes, NYCFC couldn’t muster up any chances in the attacking third, but thankfully their captain did what he does best. David Villa scored his 19th goal of the season on Sunday night to pull out a 2-1 win against the New England Revolution, but it was rookie Jonathan Lewis that notched the winner. The visitors took the lead 20 minutes prior after Sean Johnson spilled a shot in front of his own goal, allowing Teal Bunbury to pounce on the rebound. NYCFC now moves to within four points of Eastern Conference leaders Toronto FC with nine matches remaining in the regular season.

Three four moments that mattered

16′ — Harrison breaks ankles, but Villa can’t finish — This might be the only time all see you’ll see David Villa miss a chance like this…

38′ — Johnson gets a finger tip to Rowe’s blast — Sean Johnson had no work to do in the first half, at least until Kelyn Rowe decided to rip a shot from distance just before halftime.

57′ — Johnson’s error grants Bunbury, Revs the lead — Look away, NYCFC fans.

77′ — Villa find the back of the net — When you need a goal, who you gonna call? That’s right. David Villa. The NYCFC captain is now up to 19 this season.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverageStandings | Stats | Schedule ]

Man of the match: David Villa

Goalscorers: Teal Bunbury (57′), David Villa (77′), Jonathan Lewis (90+4′)

Honoring victims of attacks, Barcelona wins league opener

Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images
1 Comment

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Wearing shirts honoring victims of the recent attacks in Spain, Barcelona opened its Spanish league season with a comfortable 2-0 win over Real Betis on Sunday.

[ MORE: Neymar double helps PSG cruise past Toulouse ]

Players had the word “Barcelona” instead of their names on the back of their shirts, and the Catalan hashtag “TOTSSOMBARCELONA” (We are all Barcelona) was on display around the Camp Nou stadium. The message was also shown on the stadium’s large screens, as well as on many banners carried by fans.

An emotional minute’s silence was held before the game as the music of Catalan cellist Pau Casals played in the background.

Before the minute was up, the more than 55,000 fans at the stadium broke into a round of applause and began chanting “No tinc por” (I’m not afraid), a chant which has become a symbol of people’s reactions to the attacks that killed 14 people and injured more than 120 in Barcelona and the nearby seaside resort of Cambrils.

Extra security was implemented in and around Camp Nou.

There was a minute’s silence before every Spanish league match this weekend.

Without Neymar and the injured Luis Suarez, Barcelona got off to a winning start in the league after consecutive losses to rival Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup final.

It scored two goals three minutes apart near the end of the first half – an own-goal by Betis defender Alin Tosca and a close-range shot by Sergi Roberto. Both goals came after plays started by Gerard Deulofeu, one of the players expected to try to replace Neymar after his world record transfer to Paris Saint-Germain.

“We lost depth with Neymar’s departure and we have to find a way to overcome that,” Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde said.

Lionel Messi looked lively but wasn’t able to score his 350th goal in La Liga. He came close, though, being denied by the woodwork three different times.

AP Sports Writer Tales Azzoni contributed to this report.

More AP Spanish soccer coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/LaLiga

Brighton breaks club record with signing of winger Jose Izquierdo

Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Brighton hasn’t gotten off to the ideal start in its debut season in the Premier League, but a key reinforcement is on the way.

[ MORE: Chelsea tops Spurs at Wembley behind Alonso’s brace ]

After starting the 2017/18 campaign with back-to-back defeats, the Seagulls announced on Sunday the signing of Colombian winger Jose Izquierdo from Club Brugge in Belgium for a record fee.

The 25-year-old spent three seasons in Belgium’s top flight and totaled 38 goals across all competitions for Brugge, prior to making the move to England.

Additionally, Izquierdo has worked his way into the Colombia squad as of late, and scored his first international goal for his country in June 2017 in a friendly against Cameroon.