Spain v Italy: Semi Final - FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013

Chelsea’s Juan Mata clears up why he didn’t play against Hull City

Leave a comment

If you watched Chelsea’s 2-0 victory over Hull City on Sunday then you probably noticed one glaring omission from Jose Mourinho’s lineup – Juan Mata.

The Spanish playmaker, who was on the short-list for PFA Player of the Year last season after racking up 12 goals and 12 assists in the league, was named a substitute against the Tigers but ultimately went unused.

The reason behind Mourinho’s decision not to play Mata was widely believed to be due to one of two things – either the 25 year old was nursing an injury or he didn’t fit into the Chelsea boss’ scheme.

Evidence supporting Mata having an injury was available, although sparse. On August 9th, nine days before the Hull City match, The Guardian released an article noting that along with Frank Lampard and David Luiz, Mata was an injury concern.

When he wasn’t named to the Spanish National Team squad’s friendly against Ecuador on August 16th, most assumed it was due to Mata’s injury, which Mourinho had noted was a “little thing.”

But when Mata was then named in the 18 man roster to go against Hull City, it seemed the Spaniard’s fitness was up to par and he was good to go – until Mourinho handed a shock start to Kevin De Bruyne.

Therein triggered the buzz. Why had Mata been left out? Was he not part of Mourinho’s plans? Earlier in the summer there were murmurings that Mata didn’t fit into Mourinho’s counter-attacking style of play, and worse, that he might be transferred.

Were these seemingly ridiculous beliefs coming to fruition? It wasn’t an implausible premise.

Today, however, we Mata discussed exactly why he was left on the sidelines.

“After my first game in pre-season when I played 45 minutes against Inter, I felt my thigh was a bit tight, I carried on in the second game against Milan, but the day before Real Madrid I felt more pain,” Mata told the club’s official website. “We did a scan and I had a small problem, which can be dangerous in that muscle because I shoot with that left foot, so I stopped and didn’t train for a few days.

“I came back, worked with the physios and on Thursday last week trained with the team for the first time, not at 100 per cent, but trying to get to my best and now I feel better and am looking forward to playing and starting my season.”

So there you have it. The aim is for Mata to be ready for the Blues match against Aston Villa, set to kick off Wednesday at 1:45pm ET on NBCSN.

Ferguson still being asked about Moyes: “We chose a good football man”

David Moyes Alex Ferguson
AP Photo/Martin Rickett/PA
Leave a comment

In some ways absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it seems Sir Alex Ferguson‘s life after Manchester United has been filled with second guessing.

Whether the sales of Paul Pogba and Gerard Pique or the appointment of David Moyes, “Fergie” apparently can’t rest on his title-winning laurels.

[ MORE: Tax evasion charges dropped against Messi, but not his father ]

One thing that seems to bug him more than anything, though, is the idea that he hand-picked David Moyes to be his successor, and should be responsible for his failings.

In a new documentary, Ferguson both defends the appointment of Moyes and explains the process behind his choice.

From the BBC:

“I don’t think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man,” Ferguson says. “Unfortunately it didn’t work for David.

“Jose Mourinho was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis Van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.”

The article also makes another key point, according to Ferguson: the manager claims he only gave United a few months notice that he’d be stepping down. That certainly didn’t provide a lot of lead time to secure a big boss.

What do you make it of it? If your answer is, “When can we stop talking about Moyes and United?” I tend to be with you, but it’s a talking point.

Tax evasion charges against Messi dropped; Case vs father continues

FILE - In this Sept. 27, 2013 file photo, Barcelona F.C. star Lionel Messi, left, arrives at a court to answer questions in a tax fraud case in Gava, near Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona prosecutors are calling for the arrest of Messi's father in a tax fraud case. Prosecutors have cleared Messi of wrongdoing but are seeking an 18-month prison sentence for his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, for allegedly defrauding Spain's tax office of 4 million euros ($4.5 million) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti, File)
AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi will not face charges that he and his father defrauded the government in millions of unpaid taxes, though his father is not so lucky.

Messi’s father, Jorge, could face 18 months in jail and an approximate $2.25 million fine despite a voluntary payment of $5.5 million in 2013 to “correct” the missed taxes.

[ WATCH: Hilarious spoof pegs Messi, Ronaldo as “Friends” ]

The Barcleona star had plead ignorance to the charges, something that failed to impress prosecutors. But, it apparently worked out in his favor on Tuesday.

From the BBC:

Prosecutors allege that Jorge avoiding paying tax on his son’s earnings by using offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay between 2007 and 2009.

Messi’s lawyers argued that the player had “never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing” the contracts, El Pais newspaper reported.