MANCHESTER — David Moyes has had to answer pretty much the same questions about Wayne Rooney’s future over the last few months, so it was about time he spoke about somebody different.
Earlier on Monday reports in the UK suggested that Tottenham were in talks with another club about the sale of Gareth Bale.
Rumors were that Bale could be heading to Manchester instead of Madrid. And when asked about those stories following United’s 0-0 draw with Chelsea on Monday, Moyes wasn’t too dismissive about a deal for the 23-year-old Welshman but did confirm they haven’t yet made a bid for Bale.
“As I’ve said to you, Manchester United are always interested in the best players,” Moyes said. “The board and myself are always be willing to sign who we think are the best players, whoever they are.”
That’s the diplomatic answer, but it also begs the question as to whether or not United are planning to table a late bid for Bale to shock everyone. They’re the only other club in the world who can really afford to buy Bale from Tottenham and his move to Real Madrid has now dragged out far longer than anyone would have expected.
Is there a snag in the deal? Is Bale now weighing up his options and wants to stay in the Premier League?
I expect this one to drag out between now and next Sunday night when all of these long-winded transfer rumors, Rooney, Bale, Suárez, will play out like a reality TV show to see who gets paired with what club at the last minute.
Maybe Moyes was being coy to protect a late deal for Bale that United are trying to rush through… or maybe he was just being honest and open ans stating that if a player becomes available to United and they believe he’s of their caliber, they will go get him.
So, is that the case with Bale? Six days and counting, or maybe sooner, until we find out.