Mourinho praises Chelsea’s “kids” after defensive masterclass

1 Comment

MANCHESTER — Following Monday evening’s 0-0 draw Manchester United at Old Trafford, eccentric Portuguese boss José Mourinho was bombarded with questions about the Blues stance on Wayne Rooney.

And after answering multiple questions about Rooney’s performance, the likelihood of him moving to Chelsea and the transfer saga so far, Mourinho stopped journalist and changed the topic.

“Let me speak about my kids. I played here with four kids under 22 in attack,” Mourinho said. “For some of them, the first time they play at Old Trafford. They play against the champions, they play against Ferdinand, against Vidic, against Evra. My kids behave very, very well.”

Those fours “kids” Mourinho refers to were Kevin De Bruyne, Andre Schurrle, Oscar and Eden Hazard who all started in Mourinho’s bizarre decision to play without a recognized striker in an almost 4-2-4 formation.

(MORE: Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea; Stalemate at Old Trafford)

22-year-old German attacker Schurrle started in the central role, but that rotated between Schurrle, De Bruyne and Hazard as Chelsea’s slick passing style prevailed but it failed to create any real chances to get behind United.

Something Mourinho admitted.

“They couldn’t produce enough to win the game. We didn’t have as many situations to win as we were expecting to. We missed some easy passes to go from the defensive situation to the scoring possibility. But the boys were fantastic, the kids were fantastic.”

When the Chelsea teamsheet was released around the press box at Old Trafford an hour or so before the game, plenty of raised eyebrows could be spotted. Fernando Torres and Romelu Lukaku on the bench, Demba Ba not even in the squad and left in London. What is the “Special One” playing at?

(MORE: Wayne Rooney dazzles for Manchester United, is this the end of the saga?)

Many may argue that he is playing a game, a subtle reminder to Chelsea’s owner Roman Abramovich that he wants a new striker to spearhead the title challenge in his second spell in charge at Stamford Bridge. First time round he had Didier Drogba, but now he feels he doesn’t have someone of a similar stature who can score the goals and become a figurehead in his attacking vision for Chelsea’s future.

So instead Mourinho decided to “park the bus” as they say, to thwart United and give his Chelsea side no real attacking intent. And it worked for what he wanted. The Portuguese boss wanted at least a point and that’s what he got. A few Oscar shots aside, Chelsea rarely threatened United’s goal. But the go away happy and content from a battle with United.

(MORE: Jury still out on David Moyes at Manchester United)

Mourinho also had special praise for the old guard in John Terry and Frank Lampard who put in disciplined displays to help stop United’s attack at the home of the reigning champions.

“Neither of us had too many great chances to win the game,” Chelsea captain John Terry said. “I think both teams looked solid. It’s obviously a great point for us away from home, it’s obviously a tough place to come. It’s out of the way and we move on now.”

Mourinho was also pleased with the result and delighted his “kids” got the chance to learn a valuable lesson.

Now it’s back to the training ground, but will Mourinho have a new star pupil when the transfer window slams shuts on September 2? For now, the kids are alright. Unbeaten in three, top of the league and the toughest away game of the year done and dusted.

“When you try to educate these kids and make them a competitive man and play in a team that wants to win the title, you need to play the match where you play amazing football but also where you play tactically well. I praise my people, they had a good start to the season. Two wins at home, one point at the champions. I praise my people.”

Report: Ola Kamara wanted by mid-table La Liga outfit

AP Photo/Bryan Woolston
Leave a comment

Columbus Crew star Ola Kamara is ready to leave the side, but he may not be moving inside of Major League Soccer.

[ MORE: FA Cup replay roundup ]

Metro.Us reporter Kristian Dyer says the Norwegian star is subject to a bid from a mid-table La Liga club. He’d been linked with a trade to Colorado as well.

Kamara, 28, came to MLS from Austria Wien and has since scored 34 goals in two seasons, a year after bagging 21 goals on loan for Molde in Norway.

Seventh place and 15th are separated by just four points in Spain’s top flight. Leganes and Espanyol are having the hardest time scoring goals, in terms of mildly educated speculation.

Transfer rumor roundup: Fred to Man City; Aubameyang wanted

Photo by Christian Hofer/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Could this January transfer window rival last season’s in terms of activity?

[ MORE: FA Cup replay roundup ]

Last season saw Crystal Palace save its season and Hull City nearly do the same, Morgan Schneiderlin head to Everton, Leicester find a decent N'Golo Kante replacement, and much, much more.

This season has been less active, though Ross Barkley has headed to Chelsea while former club Everton nabbed Cenk Tosun and Liverpool added Virgil Van Dijk.

The BBC has news involving Napoli which could affect two Premier League clubs. The Neapolitans apparently want Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who wants to be an every week starter, to be a prime part of their push to end Juventus’ Serie A stranglehold.

That would unseat Pepe Reina, who’s been long linked with a reunion with former boss Pepe Reina at Newcastle United. Napoli currently has Luigi Sepe as a No. 2 to Reina, though UEFA Europa League fixtures mean it’s no guarantee Mignolet’s arrival would allow Reina to leave town.

Sky Sports says Manchester City would like to see Fred as a long-term replacement for Fernandinho. Fred went 90 minutes for Shakhtar Donetsk in a pair of UEFA Champions League contests against City, including the 2-1 home win over the Premier League leaders’ B-squad on Dec. 6. The 24-year-old has two goals and two assists in league play, and could cost more than $25 million.

Don Balon proffers news that could unsettle Arsenal fans, as Real Madrid is apparently entering the bidding for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Florentino Perez would like an upgrade to Karim Benzema for his struggling La Liga super powers, and goodness knows Real will tempt Borussia Dortmund’s bank account.

One liners:

— The BBC also says Besiktas want Islam Slimani to join the club from Leicester City.

— Ola Kamara’s move from Columbus to another MLS team may be hijacked by La Liga.

Mourinho reportedly close to Man Utd contract extension

Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jose Mourinho is scheduling an extended stay at Manchester United.

[ MORE: Donovan unveiled by Leon ]

The 54-year-old has a contract through the end of next season, the dreaded third at a club for Mourinho, but reports say United is keen to keep him around through 2021.

Mourinho has not tasted a fourth season with a club despite winning league titles at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan, and Real Madrid.

The 2019-20 season at Old Trafford would be Mourinho’s fourth. According to the BBC:

Talks have progressed well and it is now just a matter of time before Mourinho commits to remain at Old Trafford beyond the expiry of his present deal in 2019.

Somehow, this feels it should be deemed another loss for Antonio Conte.

Barkley ineligible to make Chelsea debut in FA Cup replay

Photo credit: Chelsea FC / Twitter: @chelseafc
Leave a comment

Ross Barkley was expected — and himself expected — to make his Chelsea debut on Wednesday, when the Blues host Championship side Norwich City in a third-round FA Cup replay at Stamford Bridge.

Alas, the 24-year-old English midfielder has been ruled ineligible due to a lesser-known and -applied rules surrounding transfers and player registration.

[ MORE: Tuesday’s 3rd-round replay roundup | Wednesday preview ]

Barkley completed his move from Everton to Chelsea, for $20 million, on Jan. 5, the day before Chelsea and Norwich drew 0-0 at Carrow Road. In order to be eligible for Wednesday’s replay, Barkley is required to have completed his transfer prior to the noon cut-off the day prior to the original tie. While the time of official approval is unknown, Barkley’s move wasn’t announced by the club until after 5 p.m. in the UK.

As such, Chelsea will attempt to set up a behind-closed-doors friendly this week, in order to provide Barkley a bit of game action as he builds fitness and sharpness ahead of a potential debut against Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday (Watch live, 7:30 a.m. ET, on NBCSN and NBCSports.com). Barkley hasn’t seen a single minute of first-team action this season after suffering a serious hamstring injury in the summer.