Cardiff City v Everton - Premier League

Roberto Martinez bemoans penalty call, as Everton draw again

Leave a comment

On Saturday against Cardiff City Roberto Martinez’ Everton side played out their third-straight draw to start the season.

To say the Spaniard was frustrated after the game is an understatement.

Martinez was irked by the decision not to award his side a penalty in the 41st minute, as attacking left back Leighton Baines weaved through several Cardiff defenders and suddenly found himself in the box. In came Cardiff’s combative Chilean midfielder Gary Medel who slid in rashly on Baines to bring him down.

Many expected referee Anthony Taylor to award a penalty. Instead he signaled for a goal kick.

“The decision is hard to explain really because we all had a clear view and there are probably moments where the referee gets blocked,” Martinez said. “But when the Cardiff player goes to ground and loses control of his body and doesn’t touch the football, obviously you are going to impede the player. Clearly it’s a penalty.”

The former Wigan manager isn’t one for sour grapes but the decision to not award a penalty was an extremely strange one. Medel didn’t get anywhere near the ball and Baines was just about to let fly on goal.

source: Getty Images
Martinez feels Leighton Baines should have be awarded a penalty just before half time.

“Leighton was as shocked as anyone in the ground,” Martinez continued. “And it was unfortunate because that would have been a big break.”

And it seems like Everton just aren’t getting those ‘big breaks’ right now.

Last week they played out a 0-0 tie with West Brom at Goodison Park as Marouane Fellaini hit the post and the rub of the green just wasn’t with the Toffees. And the week before that Martinez’ men could feel hard done by as Norwich snatched a 2-2 draw after Everton had battled back to take a 2-1 lead at Carrow Road.

Bad luck aside, in the end Martinez was philosophical about his sides display but warned his players that they have to take their chances in and around the penalty box. That will be the difference this season.

“Overall, the way we defended and the way we stopped Cardiff having any influence on the game, that was very pleasing,” Martinez said. “We were strong, we kept Cardiff very, very quiet and this is a difficult place to do that. On the other side, when you get the amount of moments in the final third that we did, we need to be clinical and start scoring goals – because that was the difference that stopped us getting three points.”

Coleman explains why he stayed as Wales coach, rejected Hull

ZENICA, BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA - OCTOBER 10: Head coach Chris Coleman of Wales celebrates after the Euro 2016 qualifying football match between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Wales at the Stadium Bilino Polje in Elbasan on October 10, 2015. (Photo by Srdjan Stevanovic/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

CARDIFF, Wales (AP) — Chris Coleman says he chose to remain as Wales manager despite interest from Premier League side Hull because he’s in a job that is “close to his heart.”

The Football Association of Wales rejected an approach for Coleman from Hull this month, with the Welshman deciding to stay on rather than resigning.

Coleman, who guided Wales to the European Championship semifinals against the odds, said on Wednesday that “if someone comes and it’s the Premier League, anybody, you kind of look at it sideways. Of course.”

But, Coleman added, managing your country “comes around once, if you’re lucky.”

Coleman has made no secret of his desire to manage in club football in the future, but says “what I’ve got here is something very special and close to my heart.”

FOLLOW LIVE: The UEFA Champions League finds its last five group stage teams

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 24:  Joe Hart of Manchester City warms up prior to the UEFA Champions League Play-off Second Leg match between Manchester City and Steaua Bucharest at Etihad Stadium on August 24, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Who’s going to join Porto, Monaco, Legia Warsaw, Ludogorets Razgrad and Celtic as playoff teams to join the UEFA Champions League group stage?

The biggest names of Wednesday’s slate are cruising after their first legs, with Manchester City and Borussia Monchengladbach putting five and three goals on the board, respectively.

[ MORE: Champions League Tues. roundup ]

Could the match be Joe Hart‘s last for City? The longtime backstop gets the call with the transfer window a week away.

In the other three cases, things are wide open. Rostov plays Ajax, Red Bull Salzburg faces Dinamo Zagreb, and APOEL lines up Copenhagen.

Wednesday’s UEFA Champions League slateFOLLOW LIVE

Borussia Monchengladbach (3) vs. (1) BSC Young Boys
Rostov (1) vs. (1) Ajax
Red Bull Salzburg (1) vs. (1) Dinamo Zagreb
APOEL (0) vs. (1) Copenhagen
Manchester City (5) vs. Steaua Bucuresti (0)

FOLLOW LIVE – EFL CUP: Four Americans in the 18 for Fulham, Sunderland, Bournemouth

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 13: Lynden Gooch of Sunderland challenges David Silva of Manchester City during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Sunderland at Etihad Stadium on August 13, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images)
Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The newly-renamed EFL Cup, formerly the League Cup, rolls on Wednesday with four more matches ahead of the evening’s third-round draw.

American attacker Lynden Gooch starts for Sunderland, while Tim Ream starts for Fulham and Luca de la Torre is on the Cottagers’ bench. Emerson Hyndman is on the bench for Bournemouth.

Tuesday’s action saw Premier League sides West Brom and Watford excused from the tournament.

Wednesday’s EFL Cup scheduleFOLLOW LIVE

Accrington Stanley vs. Burnley
Fulham vs. Middlesbrough
Morecambe vs. Bournemouth
Sunderland vs. Shrewsbury Town

L.A. Galaxy’s Keane retires from Republic of Ireland duty

DUBLIN, IRELAND - OCTOBER 11:  Robbie Keane of Republic of Ireland applauds the fans during the EURO 2016 Qualifier match between Republic of Ireland and Gibraltar at Aviva Stadium on October 11, 2014 in Dublin, Ireland.  (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)
Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robbie Keane is ending a big chapter in his career.

Fear not, Galaxy fans, the 36-year-old living L.A. legend isn’t calling it quits on club soccer, but Keane is done with representing the Republic of Ireland.

Keane will play one more game for the Boys in Green, a friendly against Oman next week, before leaving the Republic to qualify for the World Cup without him.

[ MORE: Yedlin, Newcastle make it official ]

In a sprawling and understandably emotional — if not moving — statement, Keane says he isn’t going to stop playing for his club anytime soon, and that he hardly dreamed he’d get to this point.

No player has been capped (145) or scored (67) as many times for Ireland than Keane.