Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas Boas whistles to his players during their English Premier League soccer match against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in London

Andre Villas-Boas defends Tottenham’s lack of creativity after derby loss

1 Comment

LONDON — Andre Villas-Boas was understandably upset following Tottenham’s narrow 1-0 defeat against Arsenal in the North London derby on Sunday.

And as the Portuguese manager oversees one of the biggest overhauls in Spurs’ recent history, there will be more days like this ahead.

For much of the second half Tottenham pinned the Gunners back as they desperately searched for an equalizer. Full of power, determination and speed, Spurs just couldn’t carve out a decent goalscoring opportunity.

AVB stood hands on hips on the edge of his technical area for most of the game. In stoppage time he ran down the touchline in desperation to instruct Kyle Walker to launch a long-throw into Arsenal’s box. But Spurs came up short, as that cutting edge and creativity that Gareth Bale often delivered late in games last season has vanished.

(MORE: Official; Gareth Bale joins Real Madrid in word record $132 million deal)

Spurs’ manager felt his side deserved more from the game.

“The second half was all ours,” Villas-Boas said. “Great credit to the players for putting them under pressure, for really pushing Arsenal against their goal. But there were not enough clear-cut chances to get that 1-1. There were some positives there for the determination, the ambition, the ability to come to a place like the Emirates and make Arsenal finish with four full backs on the pitch and three defensive midfielders.”

But it just wasn’t enough.

That final pass, a telling cross or extravagant link up play on the edge of the box was missing. In the first half Nacer Chadli and Andros Townsend showed promise down the flanks but Arsenal dealt with their crosses quite comfortably and Spurs hardly got in behind the Gunners defense.

But you know what, that’s okay. It’s to be expected. And there will be plenty more of that in the coming weeks and months as Villas-Boas tries to bed in the seven new signings he acquired after selling Bale to Real Madrid.

source: Reuters
How can AVB conjure more creativity from his new Spurs side?

Does AVB worry about bringing in so many new players at once? Arsene Wenger mentioned earlier this weekend that it could take time for so many new faces to gel…

“No, I’m not concerned,” Villas-Boas said. “But I do agree with his [Wenger] perspective. But it’s not a concern because when you have this quality individually it can only help you achieve things.”

However the former FC Porto and Chelsea manager conceded it will take time to work out the kinks which were evident in Tottenham’s attacking play.

“It’s not a concern but it’s something that we have to work on,” Villas-Boas added. “It’s very difficult with all the stops for international duty, most of our players will go away. But I think it will come through time, through matches and I’m very, very confident because the ability is there from all the players.”

In the post-game press conference I specifically asked AVB about the lack of cutting edge in the first few games of the season, as Tottenham have scored just twice in three games, with both goals coming from the penalty spot.

Is there a lack of creativity?

“I think that is a false question,” Villas-Boas replied. “I don’t think there is a good argument. We came to Arsenal and created lots of chances, obviously there are players that are different from others. There are players that are box-to-box, players that are more creative and have that ability to link up with others.”

(MORE: Tottenham’s sensational rebuild continues as Lamela, Chiriches arrive with others on the way)

AVB started with Moussa Dembele, Etienne Capoue and Paulinho in central midfield. Three imposing figures who were strong in the air, covered a huge amount of ground yet failed to have any real impact on the game going forward.

Tottenham’s 35-year-old manager acknowledged that he must adapt his team as he sees fit. But I can’t help but think were going to see a more robust psychical and powerful Spurs side this season.

Surely that results in reduced creativity in the offensive third?

“You saw two very different teams today with Arsenal and Tottenham but in another way you can reach success through different types of players,” Villas-Boas said. “So I think we have the ability in our squad. And we have both types of players… we just have to choose the right type of strategy for each game.”

One new addition could change Tottenham’s attacking outlook, with Danish international Christian Eriksen signing from Ajax on Friday. The 21-year-old midfielder plays in the number 10 role Spurs are actively experimenting with and AVB believes Eriksen could provide the answer.

“Eriksen is a wonderfully creative player,” Villas-Boas said. “He is a great solution for our number 10 position. I think Christian brings that flair and creativity that we saw at Ajax for these last few years, great ability to see a pass and a player that is used to playing in a high level in Europe. I am extremely pleased to have him.”

Tottenham’s rebuild needs a creative figure to help it flourish. Eriksen could be that man. And now that Bale has officially left… someone has to be.

Crew SC announce MLS Cup 2015 sold out 15 hours after qualifying

Wil Trapp, Columbus Crew SC
Leave a comment

The building formerly known as Crew Stadium has hosted its fair share of famous soccer games since it opened in 1999 — dos a cero, anyone? — and Sunday’s MLS Cup 2015 looks set to rank right up there among them.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

Roughly 15 hours after advancing to this year’s MLS Cup, which they will host this Sunday (4 p.m. ET), Columbus Crew SC announced on Monday that MAPFRE Stadium is officially sold out.

Crew SC president of business operations Andy Loughnane addressed the fanbase in a blog post on the club’s official site Monday afternoon and said, “As of late this morning we are sold out of the extra capacity seating that was created for MLS Cup at MAPFRE Stadium. While there is a small chance that additional seats could be released for purchase as a result of MLS holds being returned, we are sold out of all known available seats.”

[ MORE: Beckham group abandons yet another stadium plan, site in Miami ]

Crew SC, making their second MLS Cup appearance in club history (2008 champions), will host first-time MLS Cup contestants, the Portland Timbers, on Sunday.

PL clubs combined to pay out $200 million in agent fees in 2015

Liverpool Unveil New Signing Christian Benteke
Leave a comment

What a time to be an agent in the footballing world, eh? The rich just keep getting richer and richer and richer.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

The steady increase in transfer fees being paid for players — bad, good, great and amazing alike — has made quite a few “selling” clubs rich reach over the last decade or two, to be sure, but it’s also made another group of people obscenely rich: player agents.

As the soccer world has gone crazy with its “now, now, now” approach — managers must win now, or they’re fired; new signings must become stars now, or they’ll be sold; etc. — agents are the ones making out like bandits — no losses to be sustained on players who turn out to be flops; no future loss of wages due to taking “too long” to settle in and being labeled a flop — at the expense of clubs and, most cruelly, the players.

More than $195 million was paid out agents by Premier League clubs across the January and summer transfer windows, with Liverpool — ever the club in constant change — paying out $21.5 million in agents fees to remain top of the table for a second straight year. Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal were the four other clubs to top $15 million.

[ MORE: Premier League Payback — The Diego Costa era over at Chelsea? ]

Agents not only receive a fee when players change clubs through transfers, but can only be compensated again and again when one of their clients signs a new contract with their current club.

For instance, Wayne Rooney has signed at least four new contracts since joining Manchester United in 2004, the latest of which came barely three years after he was given a new five-year deal in Oct. 2010 upon handing in a transfer request in an attempt to force a move to Manchester City. Rooney’s current weekly wage is reported to be in the neighborhood of $450,000. His agent, Paul Stretford, will have received a sizable payday upon negotiating the deal in Feb. 2014.

At the end of the day, sports are little more than a business, and it’s the ones who play the game — the political game, that is — the best, and most ruthlessly, who are making out like bandits.

Puksas Award finalists: Somehow absent is USWNT’s Carli Lloyd

Carli Lloyd, USWNT
Leave a comment

FIFA announced on Monday its three-man list of finalists for the 2015 Puskas Award, handed out each year to the player who scored the “most beautiful” goal of the past calendar year.

[ MORE: 2015 Ballon d’Or finalists ]

The three men up for this year’s honor are Alessandro Florenzi (WATCH HERE), Lionel Messi (WATCH HERE) and Wendell Lira (WATCH HERE) — all scorers of fantastically beautiful goals this year.

That means Carli Lloyd, who made the original list of nominees before being whittled down to just three, is shockingly tragically scandalously criminally not a finalist for this year’s award. Reminder: This is the goal we’re talking about.

[ MORE: Timbers reach first MLS Cup | Crew SC to host MLS Cup 2015 ]

So, here’s the case for Lloyd:

  • She scored from midfield
  • She scored the winner from midfield in a World Cup final
  • She scored the winner from midfield in a World Cup final to complete a hat trick
  • She scored the winner from midfield in a World Cup final to complete a hat trick in the 16th minute

How in the world is Carli Lloyd’s midfield goal to complete a 16-minute hat trick and win a World Cup final not a top-three goal of the year? You got some (more) explaining to do, FIFA.

Beckham group abandons latest plans for Miami MLS stadium

David Beckham
Leave a comment

All signs seemed to point toward an all-too-familiar outcome for the David Beckham-led investment group hoping to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to the city of Miami: another failed plan in their bid to build a brand new stadium.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

Earlier this month, newly-joined all-world sports executive Tim Leiweke warned that groups or individuals currently owning the various parcels of land surrounding the Miami Marlins’ baseball stadium, the latest site Miami Beckham United (MBU) had chosen, were making “unrealistic” demands and threatened to derail the project at that location.

Today, it’s been reported across South Florida that the group has altogether abandoned plans to build their stadium at that particular site. Miami city commissioner Francis Suarez confirmed that MBU were “moving in a different direction” — quotes from Local 10 News:

“It’s going to be withdrawn from the next agenda because the Beckham group has not acquired the private properties that are needed to construct the stadium on that site.”

“The residents expect us to hold these teams to the fire,” Suarez said. “A lot of times they’re financed by wealthy people and they want some sort of a public subsidy, which is very controversial as well, which is why we were going to take it to referendum.”

[ MORE: Timbers reach first MLS Cup | Crew SC to host MLS Cup 2015 ]

On Sunday, during halftime of the league’s Eastern Conference final, MLS commissioner Don Garber was asked about the Miami stadium situation, to which he responded, “We think Miami will be a great market. We found a reasonably good site. I’m confident that we’ll get something done there.”

MBU is reportedly being held to something of a deadline by the MLS board of governors, which meets every year ahead of MLS Cup, with this weekend’s sit-down thought of as a target date to have something concrete going forward. Meanwhile, Sacramento Republic FC, an MLS expansion hopeful currently playing in the USL (third division), announced last week they would be moving forward with building their brand new MLS-sized stadium, expansion bid or not.