Manchester City’s Samir Nasri hints at MLS move: “I love American culture”

8 Comments

After Manchester City’s owners stumped up the cash to by Major League Soccer’s 20th franchise, New York City FC who will debut in 2015, plenty of City’s players have been linked with a move to MLS.

First there was Gareth Barry, then left back Gael Clichy and now attacker Samir Nasri has professed his desire to one day play for NYC FC.

In an interview with French newspaper L’Equipe, Nasri said a move to MLS or his hometown club Olympique de Marseille are his favored options in the future.

“Clearly, economic reality stops me from thinking about playing at OM right now,” Nasri said. “In the future, I don’t know yet. I would like to discover the MLS. I love American culture.”

(MORE: Report, Manchester City to offer Gareth Barry spot with New York City FC)

Nasri, 26, certainly shone Stateside during Manchester City’s friendlies with Chelsea in St. Louis and New York City. The Frenchman scored twice as City beat Chelsea 5-3 at Yankee Stadium and that City could be his new home. But after starting his career with OM and dazzling the fans before moving to Arsenal, Nasri believes a move back to French soccer is an option.

“Why not in a few years? I’ve seen the Stade Velodrome half-finished,” Nasri said. “When the work’s done, I feel sorry for opposing teams.”

source: AP
Could Nasri be the leading man for New York City FC in 2015?

So, should we take this ‘Nasri to MLS’ talk with a pinch of salt or cautious optimism? Nowadays when journalists roll up to Eithad and ask any City players about the future, New York City FC slips its way into conversation. And Nasri’s current situation with the Citizens under new boss Manuel Pellegrini will keep speculation about his future rife for a while.

(MORE: Maybe there IS something in Manchester City defender Gael Clichy moving to Major League Soccer)

The French international midfielder has been left on the bench for all three of City’s Premier League game so far but believes he is still in the immediate plans as his side aim for success on the domestic and European stage this season. Nasri scored against Newcastle in the season opener and has done well when coming off the bench so far this campaign.

“I had a talk with Manuel Pellegrini. We’ll see what happens,” Nasri said. “He came to me the first day and told me that he was counting on me, that I would be an important player, that I was going to play. We’ll see — I’m not worrying about it. If I’m good, the coach will play me.”

The link to MLS will come directly from Nasri being a City player but the fact he stated that he would like to discover the league and loves the American way of life is quite telling. This reminds me of how Thierry Henry spoke and acted as a potential deal with the New York Red Bulls was being arranged. We know the Red Bulls captain loves the Manhattan lifestyle and American culture, could another French DP be heading to the Big Apple?

Nasri may well become the star man for New York City FC when they arrive in MLS two seasons from now but that’s so far down the line. Two weeks is a long time in soccer, let alone two years. But conveniently that is exactly when Nasri’s current deal runs out with City and by that time he will be approaching 29. In the meantime the enigmatic winger could wrap up a few more titles in the Premier League and Europe and his soccer future seems to be a two-horse race between Marseille and MLS.

No rush. But Nasri in Major League Soccer would be an incredible buy for any club. But let’s assume that New York City FC will get first dibs. It’s only fair…

Court hearing opens into spectators attacking referees

Getty Images
Leave a comment

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (AP) Witnesses in Uruguay’s capital testified before a judge on Monday about an attack on two referees by spectators at a soccer match.

A male and a female referee were attacked on Saturday during a second division under-19 game between Basanez and Platense.

The next day, the Uruguay Football Association cancelled all organized football as referees protested the violence by refusing to officiate. Officials are expected to meet on Wednesday to decide if they will lift the stoppage.

Witnesses told Judge Julia Staricco it started after a kid threw rocks on the field with encouragement from his father. The female referee’s partner asked the kid to stop, leading to an argument with other spectators who punched and kicked the referees.

An attorney representing the country’s referees union, Fernando de Los Santos, says the officials suffered bruises to their bodies.

“There are several people responsible here: The players, especially who are all young in the under-19 category; their parents, and their families,” de Los Santos said.

“This is not new. We’ve seen this kind of violence in the lower divisions. But this is the straw that broke the camel’s back.”

The Basanez and Platense clubs have issued statements condemning the violence. Basanez also said it fired one of its players who was part of the attack.

The case is being handled by the same local judge who recently charged three people for violent acts during the Penarol-Nacional derby.

Morata has a warning for Chelsea’s Premier League rivals

Leave a comment

Alvaro Morata believes his fast start to life in the Premier League at Chelsea is only a taster of what is to come.

[ MORE: Who is the PL’s most complete striker? ]

After scoring a hat trick at Stoke City on Saturday in Chelsea’s 4-0 win, Morata spoke to reporters about the chances he missed and admitted he could have had five goals to his name.

The Spanish striker, 24, is clearly not content with simply replacing Diego Costa at Chelsea.

“I am happy with my start in the Premier League but I can do better,” Morata said. “I had two chances at the end of the game against Stoke [but didn’t take them]. I also need to improve my physical condition to be as good as possible.”

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights

Can do better. Six goals in your first six Premier League games is a pretty decent return, Alvaro.

Still, you can see what he’s saying. Morata has looked good in fits and starts so far this season but his undeniable quality is there for all to see. He scored three goals and added two assists with his head before Saturday’s breakout where he proved he can also score with his feet.

Morata struggled against Arsenal 10 days ago as he seemed isolated up top and the physicality of the Premier League seems to still surprise him at times.

It is still early days for the Spanish international who joined for $77.8 million (which could rise to $93.9 million) but the way in which he accelerated past Stoke’s defense on his first and second goals, then finished coolly reminded us all that of his schooling at Real Madrid and Juventus.

Morata is now undeniably a contender for the Golden Boot and looks like a more refined, agile replacement for Costa. His quickness of thought and elegance has replaced the brute force and desire of Costa and it seems like it will work out just fine.

Jose Mourinho on Man United’s midfield injury crisis

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jose Mourinho has been speaking in Moscow ahead of Manchester United’s UEFA Champions League clash with CSKA Moscow on Wednesday.

[ MORE: UCL team news for PL clubs ]

The Man United boss has had a positive start to the new season with seven wins from nine games in all competitions as his side are second in the Premier League table only on goal difference.

[ MORE: Champions League schedule

That said, injuries are mounting up for the Red Devils, particularly in central midfield as Marouane Fellaini, Paul Pogba and Michael Carrick are all missing for United’s trip to CSKA.

“We don’t have Fellaini. We don’t have Pogba. We don’t have Carrick. All three midfield players that we lose for this match. The solutions are not many,” Mourinho said. “We are trying not to focus on individual battles in specific areas on the pitch. We are going to have a team with quality and balance to try to win the match. That’s our objective.”

What are Mourinho’s solutions to plug these gaps?

Ander Herrera will likely start in central midfield alongside Nemanja Matic which should be enough but given the extent of the injuries to both Pogba and Fellaini they will also have to play against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Fellaini was injured by Southampton’s Shane Long on Saturday and Mourinho confirmed the Belgian midfielder would not play again before the international break.

“Fellaini was lucky. It could be a much worse situation but in a moment where we don’t have Pogba and Carrick he becomes even more important than he always is. I expect Fellaini not to be out for a long time,” Mourinho added.

As for Mourinho, he was asked about the decision by the English Football Association to take no further action after he was sent to the stands late on in United’s 1-0 victory at Southampton on Saturday.

“If I am not punished it is because there are no reasons for the sending off,” Mourinho said. “I am happy that it is recognized and I can do my work normally against Crystal Palace. That’s enough for me.”

Report: Benjamin Mendy has more tests on knee injury

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Benjamin Mendy‘s knee injury seems a little worse than Manchester City first feared.

Mendy, 23, came off in the first half of City’s 5-0 win against Crystal Palace on Saturday after a tackle with Andros Townsend and initial scans on his swollen knee were inconclusive.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Now, multiple reports state that Mendy has flown to Barcelona to meet with renowned knee surgeon Ramon Cugat for more tests and scans as City fear ligament damage.

That could mean months out of action for the $75 million left back who joined from AS Monaco this summer.

If Mendy is to spend a long period of time on the sidelines it would be a big blow for Man City as the French international has brought balance and real quality to the left back role.

Marauding forward whenever he gets the chance and whipping in delicious crosses, Mendy has been a revelation on the pitch and off it he has already captured the hearts of City’s fans with his social media antics.

Guardiola does have Danilo who can slot in comfortably to the left back role and also hinted at Fabian Delph playing in that role with City facing Shakhtar Donetsk in the UEFA Champions League this week and then traveling to Chelsea on Saturday (Watch live, 12:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com).