Manchester City v Newcastle United - Premier League

Manchester City’s Samir Nasri hints at MLS move: “I love American culture”

8 Comments

After Manchester City’s owners stumped up the cash to by Major League Soccer’s 20th franchise, New York City FC who will debut in 2015, plenty of City’s players have been linked with a move to MLS.

First there was Gareth Barry, then left back Gael Clichy and now attacker Samir Nasri has professed his desire to one day play for NYC FC.

In an interview with French newspaper L’Equipe, Nasri said a move to MLS or his hometown club Olympique de Marseille are his favored options in the future.

“Clearly, economic reality stops me from thinking about playing at OM right now,” Nasri said. “In the future, I don’t know yet. I would like to discover the MLS. I love American culture.”

(MORE: Report, Manchester City to offer Gareth Barry spot with New York City FC)

Nasri, 26, certainly shone Stateside during Manchester City’s friendlies with Chelsea in St. Louis and New York City. The Frenchman scored twice as City beat Chelsea 5-3 at Yankee Stadium and that City could be his new home. But after starting his career with OM and dazzling the fans before moving to Arsenal, Nasri believes a move back to French soccer is an option.

“Why not in a few years? I’ve seen the Stade Velodrome half-finished,” Nasri said. “When the work’s done, I feel sorry for opposing teams.”

source: AP
Could Nasri be the leading man for New York City FC in 2015?

So, should we take this ‘Nasri to MLS’ talk with a pinch of salt or cautious optimism? Nowadays when journalists roll up to Eithad and ask any City players about the future, New York City FC slips its way into conversation. And Nasri’s current situation with the Citizens under new boss Manuel Pellegrini will keep speculation about his future rife for a while.

(MORE: Maybe there IS something in Manchester City defender Gael Clichy moving to Major League Soccer)

The French international midfielder has been left on the bench for all three of City’s Premier League game so far but believes he is still in the immediate plans as his side aim for success on the domestic and European stage this season. Nasri scored against Newcastle in the season opener and has done well when coming off the bench so far this campaign.

“I had a talk with Manuel Pellegrini. We’ll see what happens,” Nasri said. “He came to me the first day and told me that he was counting on me, that I would be an important player, that I was going to play. We’ll see — I’m not worrying about it. If I’m good, the coach will play me.”

The link to MLS will come directly from Nasri being a City player but the fact he stated that he would like to discover the league and loves the American way of life is quite telling. This reminds me of how Thierry Henry spoke and acted as a potential deal with the New York Red Bulls was being arranged. We know the Red Bulls captain loves the Manhattan lifestyle and American culture, could another French DP be heading to the Big Apple?

Nasri may well become the star man for New York City FC when they arrive in MLS two seasons from now but that’s so far down the line. Two weeks is a long time in soccer, let alone two years. But conveniently that is exactly when Nasri’s current deal runs out with City and by that time he will be approaching 29. In the meantime the enigmatic winger could wrap up a few more titles in the Premier League and Europe and his soccer future seems to be a two-horse race between Marseille and MLS.

No rush. But Nasri in Major League Soccer would be an incredible buy for any club. But let’s assume that New York City FC will get first dibs. It’s only fair…

Joe Hart’s agent confirms loan move to Torino

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 28: Joe Hart of Manchester City warms up prior to the Premier League match between Manchester City and West Ham United at Etihad Stadium on August 28, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Joe Hart‘s Manchester City departure seems all but complete.

According to a report in Italy, the goalkeeper’s agent has confirmed a loan move to Torino is complete pending a medical.

“Yes, Joe Hart will play for Toro,” agent Jonathan Barnett told Tuttosport. “It’s all done, the goalkeeper said yes to the Granata and now Manchester City have given the green light. It’s all true, it’s secured. Tomorrow Hart will have a medical in Turin.”

Earlier Monday, it was reported that Hart was considering the offer but had not decided yet if this was the right course of action. Reports over the last week have stated the 29-year-old has been looking to leave Manchester City after being benched by Pep Guardiola, but preferred a permanent move to a loan due to the uncertainty for his family that comes with the short-term nature of a loan.

To back this up, Sky Sports reporter Gemma Davis tweeted that Hart has been given permission leave the England squad to travel to Torino for a medical. This is unlikely to affect Hart’s place in the England team, given they do not play until Sunday.

After two games in Serie A play, Torino sits seventh in the league table with a win and a loss so far. 30-year-old Daniele Padelli has started both games in goal, playing the full 90 minutes. Padelli has been the main man for Torino since his arrival in 2013, missing just a chunk of games two seasons ago when benched early in the year.

Reports: Nigel de Jong preparing to leave LA Galaxy for Galatasaray

Los Angeles Galaxy's Nigel de Jong, right, strikes the ball in front of San Jose Earthquakes' Quincy Amarikwa during the first half of a MLS soccer game Saturday, March 19, 2016, in Carson, Calif. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Multiple reports across both the United States and the Netherlands have claimed Nigel de Jong is close to a move to Turkish giants Galatasaray.

A report by AD writer Maarten Wijffles states that De Jong is currently in the country for talks. However, while L.A. Times writer Keith Baxter confirms that a deal is in progress, he claims the player is still currently situated in the United States and has not left for Turkey yet.

According to reports in Turkey, Galatasaray began its interest in De Jong only recently, when Newcastle enforcer Cheick Tiote apparently failed a medical. Other reports citing sources with Newcastle and the player have disputed this, saying talks instead broke down over personal terms.

De Jong had only joined Los Angeles at the end of the January transfer window, moving from A.C. Milan after the termination of his contract. The 31-year-old Dutchman made 18 appearances for the Galaxy and did not score a goal.

Between Tiote and De Jong, the Turkish club is clearly targeting a certain style of player. De Jong has been known throughout his career as a midfield enforcer, sometimes on the border of dirty play, and that did not change during his short time in Major League Soccer. He made several cringe-worthy tackles, including one in April on Darlington Nagbe that caused many to fear for Nagbe’s career until it was revealed he suffered just a sprained knee. Another in early July earned De Jong a straight red card against Vancouver in early July.

The Dutchman was thought to be taking over Steven Gerrard‘s Designated Player spot next year after his retirement at the end of the current season, but De Jong’s departure means the Galaxy could have an open DP slot next season.

Lionel Messi picks up hamstring injury, will travel with Argentina anyways

BARCELONA, SPAIN - AUGUST 20: Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona looks on during the La Liga match between FC Barcelona and Real Betis Balompie at Camp Nou on August 20, 2016 in Barcelona, Spain. (Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi’s “return” to the Argentinian national team may have to wait.

Barcelona has revealed their superstar picked up a left hamstring injury at an unspecified time, and discovered them during tests earlier on Monday. The statement said he would still travel to Argentina to link up with the national team for the international break, and will have more tests there.

Argentina, sitting in the third spot in CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying and just two points above elimination, have vital matches against Uruguay and Venezuela over the next week. “His presence in those matches will depend on how the injury develops,” the statement from Barcelona read.

It is unclear when Messi developed this injury. He has played the full 90 minutes in all four of Barcelona’s matches this season, including the 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, the first of the four matches in which he did not score or assist a goal.

This also could be a bit of gamesmanship from Barcelona. Obviously, it benefits clubs for their players to rest during international breaks instead of play international matches, and for them to suddenly announce an injury to Lionel Messi would put pressure on Argentina to consider sitting their superstar. Of course, in attempts to dispel this idea, Barcelona included in their statement that the injury report was “approved by the FC Barcelona Medical Services and the Argentinian Football Association.”

A legitimate injury to Messi would be a devastating blow to Argentina considering Sergio Aguero has already withdrawn from the squad following an injury picked up against West Ham this weekend. Aguero was substituted in the 88th minute of Manchester City’s 3-1 win over the Hammers.

Messi was expected to make his first appearance to the national team setup after his brief “retirement” following the loss in the Copa America finals.

VIDEO: What will Southampton’s new star Boufal provide?

Leave a comment

Sofiane Boufal is a name many will be familiar with.

After his $21 million move to Southampton on Monday for a club-record fee, plenty of people are getting excited about seeing Boufal in the Premier League.

The Moroccan international is the type of player who has already become a cult figure due to the “Football Manager” video game, as his potential to become a star of European soccer has been well documented with huge teams interested in signing him over the past six months.

[ MORE: Fabregas wants Chelsea stay ]

That’s because Boufal, 22, shone for Lille last season, scoring 12 goals and his trickery, pace, set pieces and direct running saw him named as the best African player in Ligue 1.

He chose Southampton and it seems like a very wise choice after they helped turn the likes of Sadio Mane, Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw, plus many more, into top international players.

So, what have Southampton got in Boufal?

Take a look at the video above which gives a great overview of Boufal from his time at Lille after making the step up from Angers in Ligue 2 in January 2015.

That’s right, those comparisons with Riyad Mahrez seem pretty legit.