Ryan Nelsen

Toronto FC make hunt for Italian Designated Player public

2 Comments

In a week of change at Toronto FC, more new faces will soon be on the way.

We just don’t know who yet.

But MLSE (TFC’S owners) president and CEO Tim Leiweke revealed the side has earmarked several Italian players to become the clubs newest DP.

Leiweke and head coach Ryan Nelsen already have an off-season trip to Italy scheduled and have been in talks with agents and players about potential moves.

“I don’t want to be the GM, but we will be involved on the DPs,” Leiweke said. “I would say that our involvement will be on big contracts and big commitments on behalf of our owners. We will be involved in trying to find the right DPs and trying to make the right deals.

(MORE: Kevin Payne’s time at Toronto FC ends after nine months)

And it seems as though Toronto’s head coach is increasingly becoming the man who calls the shots in their player recruitment policy after GM Kevin Payne left earlier this week. Leiweke revealed the former Blackburn and Queens Park Rangers defender has some exciting irons in the fire.

“Ryan is helping and leading the charge on identifying the players that he wants,” Leiweke said. “They are DPs and they are marquee DPs and he is anxious and excited about that. Ryan and I are 100 percent on the same page on this January window and what we are looking for and on the players we are looking for. We have had specific conversations about targets.”

So although the identity of the DPs Toronto are targeting remains a secret, what areas should they look to strengthen in as Nelsen continues his long-term rebuild? Having only scored 23 goals in 26 games, the second lowest total in the league, Toronto should be looking for Italian attacker to lead them into the future.

But why are they specifically focusing on Italians?Good question.

Well, after digging through some demographics on the City of Toronto, the 2011 census states that 8.6 percent of Toronto natives are from Italian backgrounds which equates to roughly 475,090 people. That is a huge market to tap into and after their MLS rivals Montreal have fared so well since importing Italian stars such as Marco Di Vaio, Alessandro Nesta and Andrea Pisanu, can you blame TFC for trying to get in on that?

Even if Nelsen does plump for some star veterans, Italian greats have always been known to keep themselves in tremendous shape and the psychical demands of MLS haven’t taken too big a toll on Montreal’s Italian contingent.

Ready yourself for plenty of rumors regarding Italian soccer stars leaving Serie A for BMO Field in the next few months.

D.C. United acquires Igboananike from Fire in trade

BRIDGEVIEW, IL - MARCH 06:  Andrea Pirlo #21 of the New York City FC looks to pass against Kennedy Igboananike #77 of the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park on March 6, 2016 in Bridgeview, Illinois. The New York City FC defeated the Fire 4-3.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With the playoffs still very much in sight, D.C. United is making another attempt to boost its struggling attack.

[ MORE: NYCFC, Rapids meet in Bronx on Saturday ]

After recently trading for New York City FC forward Patrick Mullins and New York Red Bulls midfielder Lloyd Sam, D.C. has completed a trade for Chicago Fire attacker Kennedy Igboananike in exchange for target allocation money and a third-round draft selection in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.

In over a season-and-a-half in MLS with the Fire, Igboananike notched 11 goals and four assists in 49 matches. The Nigerian forward is a Designated Player, and is due to make over $900,000, according to the MLS Players’ Union website.

[ MORE: Christian Vieri trying to make comeback in Chinese Super League ]

D.C United is currently eighth in the Eastern Conference standings, sitting on 20 points through 21 matches. The team is four points behind the New England Revolution for the final playoff position.

Report: Atletico set to offer $52 million for Chelsea’s Costa

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 09:  Diego Costa of Chelsea shoots past Thiago Silva of PSG to score a gol to level the scores at 1-1 during the UEFA Champions League round of 16, second leg match between Chelsea and Paris Saint Germain at Stamford Bridge on March 9, 2016 in London, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Already with one of the world’s most dangerous attacks, Atletico Madrid is prepared to add another dimension into the mix.

[ MORE: Man City makes final bid for defender John Stones ]

Daily Mail is reporting that the Spanish side is prepared to offer Chelsea over $52 million for striker Diego Costa, who joined the team from Atletico back in 2014.

While the Blues have maintained their position that Costa isn’t for sale, Atletico looks to boost its already strong offense with the 27-year-old Spaniard. Diego Simeone’s group already features talented attacking duo Antoine Griezmann and Fernando Torres.

During his previous stint in La Liga, Costa netted 56 goals across all competitions in two seasons with the Rojiblancos.

[ MORE: Christian Vieri trying to make comeback in Chinese Super League ]

Chelsea is reportedly pursuing former striker Romelu Lukaku after signing Belgian Michy Batshuayi this summer. Antonio Conte’s side also features young forward Bertrand Traore, who has made a strong impression during the preseason.

Report: Manchester City makes final bid for John Stones

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 16:  Diego Costa of Chelsea and John Stones of Everton compete for the ball during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Everton at Stamford Bridge on January 16, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
1 Comment

Take it or leave it.

Manchester City has made a final push for Everton defender John Stones, and has set its last offer at $52 million. Last month, the Citizens made the same exact bid for the 22-year-old, which was rejected by Everton.

[ MORE: Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to join Chinese Super League ]

City is said to be looking to avoid overpaying for Stones, after compensating Porto over $55 million for centerback Eliaquim Mangala two years ago.

While Stones has gone on record saying that he wants to play for manager Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium, it remains to be seen if Everton will part ways with its prized defender.

NASL weekend preview: Rayo OKC faces stiff test against Minnesota

rayo okc
Leave a comment

Following a midweek loss against FC Edmonton, the New York Cosmos will try to rebound at home against Puerto Rico FC.

The Cosmos currently have two losses during the Fall Season, having conceded 10 goals in six matches, which is the second-most in NASL.

[ MORE: MLS weekend preview ]

With no unbeatens remaining, Spring Season champion Indy Eleven looks to keep its place near the top of the table against Miami FC.

Minnesota United looks to build off of its strong start against league leaders Rayo OKC, with the two teams separated by a mere two points.

Meanwhile, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers continue to search for their first win of the Fall Season against the struggling Jacksonville Armada.

Saturday

New York Cosmos vs. Puerto Rico FC

Ottawa Fury vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies

Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs. Jacksonville Armada

Miami FC vs. Indy Eleven

Rayo OKC vs. Minnesota United

Sunday

FC Edmonton vs. Carolina RailHawks