It seems that with each passing day we inch closer and closer to a winter World Cup in 2022.
And the tournament is still nine years away. So strap in tight, this could be a long one.
Today European football federations agreed it would be “impossible” to stage the 2022 World Cup in Qatar during the summer and will set up a task force to find an alternative.
After a meeting with 54 European football federations in Dubrovnik, Croatia, FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce told Sky television: “Obviously there are certain reservations regarding the World Cup in Qatar but everyone agrees that it would be impossible to play in the severe heat of Qatar in the summer.”
According the Boyce, “[All 54 countries] agree that to play the World Cup, to take thousands of fans to the biggest sporting event in the middle of summer would be impossible.”
During FIFA’s next executive committee meeting, scheduled for October 3rd, Boyce claims the 54 nations, along with representatives from Qatar, will hash out a solution.
Despite the backlash Qatar remains open to staging the tournament in the summer, promising air-conditioned stadiums using newly environmentally-friendly technology that would cool stadiums to 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
For those keeping score at home, here’s a list of where the majority of players fall when it comes the 2022 World Cup:
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter: in favor of a winter World Cup and is organization had never specially stated that the World Cup had to be held in summer
- UEFA president Michel Platini: in favor of holding the tournament in January and February of 2022
- U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati: opposes voting on October 3rd, noting that it’s too early to make a sensible decision
- Australia’s soccer chief Frank Lowy: claims non-winning 2022 bidders should be compensated if the move goes ahead to switch to a winter World Cup
- FIFA medical committee chairman Michel D’Hooghe: says that for the health of the players and the fans, the tournament must be played in the winter
- Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore: wants the tournament to be played in the summer, as scheduled, to prevent conflict with England’s domestic fixtures
CHICAGO (AP) The U.S. women’s national team will host Switzerland for two matches this October in Minneapolis and Utah.
The matches for the defending World Cup champions are set for Oct. 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, and at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Oct. 23.
The U.S. team has played Switzerland just twice before, with the Americans winning both matches.
The United States is also facing Thailand on Sept. 15 in Columbus, Ohio, before playing the Netherlands in Atlanta on Sept. 18.
The team will be without goalkeeper Hope Solo, who was suspended from the team for six months following comments she made at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. The United States was ousted by Sweden in the quarterfinals for the team’s earliest-ever exit at the Olympics.
Just incase you were unaware, there’s another Pogba. And he too could be playing in the Premier League very soon.
[ MORE: Could David Luiz be making a return to Stamford Bridge? ]
While it was Paul Pogba that stole the spotlight when he returned to Manchester United for a world-record transfer fee, Florentin — his 26-year-old brother — is drawing interest from England’s top flight.
According to the Sun, David Moyes and Sunderland are launching an $8.5 million bid for the St Etienne defender as a potential replacement for Lamine Kone. The Black Cats still anticipate that Kone will exit the Stadium of Light this season after handing in a transfer request earlier this month.
Pogba has played with the Ligue 1 club since 2012 after joining from lower-division club Sedan. Additionally, the centerback has made 13 appearances for Guinea at the international level.
In a shocking twist, Chelsea could be prepared to bring back a former defender.
The Blues are reportedly lining up a bid for Brazilian central defender David Luiz, who exited the club two years ago to head to Paris Saint-Germain in Ligue 1. According to Daily Mail, Chelsea would pay up to roughly $41 million for the PSG centerback.
[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]
Back in 2014, Chelsea received an astounding $65 million for Luiz from the French champions, but he has quickly grown out of favor with the club.
New manager Antonio Conte is looking to sure up the backline before end of the transfer window, and Luiz appears to be a final effort to do that after missing out on several defenders, including Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly.
AS is reporting that Tottenham could be in for Real Madrid midfielder Isco.
While Spurs currently boast one of the youngest and most promising teams in the Premier League, Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly keen on adding another playmaker into the fold as Isco’s future in Madrid is unknown.
Isco would leave on a loan deal, and while Spurs are seen as a contender for the Spaniard, Malaga is said to be interested in the player as well.
Manchester City defender Eliaquim Mangala could be on his way to Porto after joining the English side two years ago.
According to the Guardian, the 25-year-old would likely return to the Portuguese side on loan after disappointing for the Citizens since his arrival in 2014.
With the addition of John Stones this summer, Mangala has fallen further down the pecking order with new manager Pep Guardiola.
Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.
[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]
The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.
Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.
Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.
“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”