Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea - Premier League Preview

Jose Mourinho and Andre Villas-Boas “not friends” as Tottenham vs. Chelsea looms

Leave a comment

It has been a relationship that has spanned three different clubs, in three different countries for almost 10 years.

But now, it’s all but over.

“I don’t lose any sleep,” Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas said. “We had a great personal and professional relationship before. We don’t have that now.”

As for Jose Mourinho, the Chelsea boss shrugged of questions about his relationship with AVB ahead of Saturday’s crunch clash (7:45am ET, live on NBCSN and online via NBC Sports Live Extra) but insinuated that Spurs’ manager had been childish.

“I don’t discuss this with the media. It’s a personal thing. I don’t care what he says. I’m not here to do that. I’m not interested,” Mourinho said. “I am not a kid – if I have a problem with someone I go upstairs, we speak and we have lunch.”

(MORE: Preview – Tottenham Hotspur vs. Chelsea)

So, just how did two coaches, who many believe are so alike in terms of style, tactics, personality and upbringing, drift so far apart after working together for many years?

It’s certainly a head scratcher. But somewhere along the line there came an impasse, where Mourinho went one way and AVB went the other.

source: Getty Images
Jose Mourinho vs. Andre Villas-Boas… who will come out on top?

The latter believed his expertise was enough to be Mourinho’s assistant manger instead of a scout and coach, which was the role he worked in for the ‘Special One’ at FC Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan. But it was after Inter’s Champions League win of 2010, that AVB decided enough was enough and went out into the managerial wilderness on his own.

In his first season as a manager Villas-Boas went unbeaten with Porto, winning the Portuguese League, Cup and Europa League, before getting the Chelsea job. That didn’t go too well, as we know, but over the last 18-months at Tottenham, the 35-year-old Portuguese manager has rekindled the promise many thought had disappeared.

But AVB still refers to his split with Mourinho, from a professional standpoint, as a monumental moment in his own career.

“Our break-up point was because I was full of ambition to give him something extra and I wanted further involvement from the job I was doing at that time,” AVB said. “I felt I could give him much more. But he didn’t feel the need for somebody near to him or in another position as an assistant, and because of that it was decided that it was time, after Inter Milan, to continue our careers apart.”

Mourinho spent the last three seasons at Real Madrid, winning La Liga once and failing in the Champions League, and his path and that of Villas-Boas’ never crossed… until now. The two fiery Portuguese coaches, who were once so close, are now enemies as both Tottenham and Chelsea aim to challenge for the Premier League title this season.

Everything is set up for a tremendous battle on the pitch at White Hart Lane on Saturday. But plenty of people will be keeping an eye on two old friends in the technical area, as the master and his apprentice do battle for the very first time.

USWNT cruises past Costa Rica in final pre-Olympic warm up

CHICAGO, IL - JULY 09: Julie Johnston #8 of the United States shoots past Nomoumelelo Nyandeni #18 of South Africa during a friendly match at Soldier Field on July 9, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois. The United States defeated South Africa 1-0. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The U.S. Women’s National Team wasn’t really lacking confidence heading into Friday night’s clash with Costa Rica, but the squad’s utter dominance certainly didn’t hurt things as Jill Ellis’ group gets ready to head to Brazil for next month’s Olympic Games.

[ MORE: Pulisic says Klinsmann links to England job made sense ]

The USWNT captured a 4-0 win against Costa Rica in the side’s final send-off match before the Olympics, extending the no. 1 ranked team in the world’s unbeaten streak to 15 matches.

It only took a quarter of an hour the USWNT to find the lead, but it always looked like it was coming for Jill Ellis’ group. Meghan Klingenburg made a great run deep into the Costa Rica area, and played a perfect square pass across the face of goal for Crystal Dunn to give the U.S. the lead in the 15th minute.

Mallory Pugh got her name on the scoreboard in the 22nd minute after making a brilliant darting run forward and beating the Costa Rican goalkeeper at the near post.

The U.S. pushed their advantage to 3-0 on the stroke of halftime when Becky Sauerbrunn’s free kick was headed home by Carli Lloyd in first-half stoppage time.

With a number of chances in the second half that didn’t take the right bounce for the USWNT, Christen Press made no mistake from close range in the 79th minute and gave the home nation a four-goal lead.

Dunn continues to impress on the international stage, and nearly gave the U.S. an advantage after just seven minutes. The 24-year-old gathered the ball inside the penalty box before unleashing a strong effort that struck the crossbar and stayed out.

The U.S. found another dangerous opportunity three minutes later, when Carli Lloyd was brought down from behind on the edge of the penalty area. Costa Rica defender Katherine Alvarado was shown a yellow card for the rash tackle, but the USWNT couldn’t make anything of the ensuing free kick.

While Costa Rica put in a valiant effort against their competition, the Ticas were no match for the Americans, and failed to muster up any shots on target throughout the night. The 29th ranked team in the FIFA World Rankings struggled to move the ball past midfield for most of the outing largely due to the USWNT’s constant press.

UEFA confirms 3 entries for presidential election

SAINT DENIS, FRANCE - JULY 08:  In this handout image provided by UEFA, UEFA Vice President Angel Maria Villar addresses the UEFA Euro 2016 closing press conference at Stade de France on July 8, 2016 in Saint Denis, France. (Photo by Handout/UEFA via Getty Images)
Photo by Handout/UEFA via Getty Images
1 Comment

NYON, Switzerland (AP) Contenders from Slovenia, the Netherlands and Spain have entered the UEFA presidential contest to replace the banned Michel Platini.

[ MORE: Sam Allardyce officially named England manager ]

UEFA confirmed the three national federation presidents on Friday: Aleksander Ceferin, Michael van Praag, and Angel Maria Villar.

[ MORE: Steve Bruce has resigned at Hull City ahead of PL season ]

All must pass an integrity check to be accepted as a candidate for a job which includes the role of FIFA vice president.

UEFA’s 55 member federations will vote on Sept. 14 in Athens.

Van Praag and Villar are currently UEFA vice presidents, and Ceferin is a relative newcomer to European football politics.

Van Praag stood against Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency last year, then withdrew days before the vote.

Villar, who already is a FIFA vice president, has been a member of FIFA’s ruling committee for 18 years and leader of Spanish football for 28 years.

The winner will complete Platini’s third four-year presidential term which expires in early 2019.

A four-nation group of Nordic federations, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden, said in June it would support Ceferin. The group also wants to co-host the 2024 European Championship.

UEFA should make that hosting decision during the current presidential term.

In a separate election due Sept. 14, there are two contenders for the UEFA position of a women’s delegate to the FIFA ruling council.

Evelina Christillin of Italy and Laura McAllister will also be subject to a FIFA eligibility check, UEFA said.

Nottingham Forest signs former Toronto FC defender Damien Perquis

NEW YORK, NY - MARCH 13:  David Villa #7 of New York City FC kicks the ball past Damien Perquis #24 of Toronto FCat Yankee Stadium on March 13, 2016 in the Bronx borough of New York City.  (Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images)
Mike Stobe/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Damien Perquis has found a new home after recently leaving MLS side Toronto FC in search of a new challenge.

[ MORE: Man City expected to land Everton defender John Stones ]

Nottingham Forest confirmed the signing of Perquis on Friday after making 37 appearances for Toronto dating back to the beginning of the 2015 MLS season.

[ MORE: Crystal Palace has entered race for West Brom’s Saido Berahino ]

Perquis, 32, began his career with French side Troyes, and played domestically in his homeland for over 10 years before moving to La Liga side Real Betis.

After playing briefly for France at the Under-21 level, Perquis opted to switch his national team allegiance to Poland and appeared in 14 matches for the White Eagles between 2011-2013.

Report: Man City expected to land Stones for $65 million

BOURNEMOUTH, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 28:  Ross Barkley (L) of Everton celebrates scoring his team's third goal with his team mate John Stones (R) during the Barclays Premier League match between A.F.C. Bournemouth and Everton at Vitality Stadium on November 28, 2015 in Bournemouth, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
2 Comments

Everton appears set to lose one of its most prized young players, albeit for a pretty penny.

[ MORE: Steve Bruce leaves Hull City prior to Premier League season ]

After heavily pursuing England centerback John Stones this summer, Manchester City looks to be closing in on a deal for the 22-year-old, according to the Telegraph.

[ MORE: Wijnaldum officially completes move to Liverpool

The Toffees had placed a fee of roughly $65 million on Stones as more teams became interested in the young defender, but the sizable fee doesn’t seem to have swayed City’s front office from pursuing Stones.

Since taking over as the club’s new manager this summer, Pep Guardiola has been adamant about acquiring Stones, particularly with centerback being one of City’s biggest needs. Currently, the squad boasts captain Vincent Kompany, Nicolas Otamendi and Eliaquim Mangala as their only true options to man the central defending positions.

The Citizens and their relentless pursuit for Stones will likely leave Chelsea, Manchester United and Barcelona searching elsewhere to improve their defenses. The Blues were favorites to acquire Stones last year, however, Chelsea had its bid of nearly $48 million turned down by Everton.