FIFA President Sepp Blatter addresses the media in Zurich

Did FIFA intentionally derail England’s 2018 World Cup bid?


Is this just a case of sour grapes? Or something much more damning?

I’m undecided, but the evidence is staking up against FIFA President Sepp Blatter and the governing bodies other executives.

On Wednesday the British Minister for Sport, Hugh Robertson, made claims the Blatter intentionally helped sway voters against England’s failed 2018 World Cup bid by reminding FIFA executives about the British media claiming corruption and bribery was rife in FIFA, just moments before the final votes were cast.

And, you guessed it, England got nowhere near winning the bid for World Cup 2018 despite being one of the clear favorites. Robertson explains what happened.

There was a slightly unsatisfactory chapter. I’ve been told by a number of people in the room that Sepp Blatter, straight before the vote, stood up and reminded the delegates what the British press had done to them in the period running up to the vote.

Robertson believed that directly had a huge impact on voters, who had previously promised the Prime Minister or Prince William their vote, and then didn’t deliver.

“That must have influenced the way some of those delegates who promised to give us their vote then didn’t,” Robertson said. “Those things make me feel very uneasy as a Sports Minister about the whole process.”

(MORE: Mounting pressure vs. 2022 Qatar World Cup, as England heads nations asking for switch)

The entire bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups was condemned by Robertson.

“It was a strange and obscure bidding process; had it all been made clear I suspect we might not have bid,” Robertson said.”I didn’t agree with the way the competition was run but there was a competition: Qatar won it, and congratulations to them.”

But Robertson wasn’t finished there, as he believed many called Qatar’s bid into doubt right from the beginning.

“The interesting thing is that there was nobody there during that bidding process who really thought that staging that World Cup in the summer was a sensible option, so to me it was always obvious it was going to be moved to the winter.”

(MORE: Qatar hits back “It’s the right place to host 2022 World Cup”)

Yes, most English soccer fans are still bitter about not winning the right to host the 2018 World Cup. After not having a World Cup hosted in England since 1966 — in that time Mexico and Germany have both hosted the World Cup twice — the home of soccer has been neglected by the powers that be. But that’s not important.

What is, is the fact that Blatter would stand up and give a speech, just prior to voting, slamming the British media and obviously trying to sway the FIFA delegates voting.

And it worked, as England’s bid failed despite gaining wide-spread praise from almost every level.

It does make you wonder exactly what has, and is, going on at FIFA…

Sergio Aguero expects to miss a month with hamstring injury

Sergio Aguero
Leave a comment

After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.

The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury. 

Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.

If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.

To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.

Bayern Munich’s Mario Gotze out 10-12 weeks with groin injury

SHANGHAI, CHINA - JULY 21:  Mario Goetze of FC Bayern Muenchen in action during the international friendly match between FC Bayern Muenchen and Inter Milan of the Audi Football Summit 2015 at Shanghai Stadium on July 21, 2015 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.

The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.

Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.

[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]

Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.

However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.

Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.