D.C. United captain Dwayne De Rosario and Will Chang General Partner of D.C. United, along with fans celebrate their 1-0 win over Real Salt Lake.

U.S. Open Cup reaction: D.C. United revel in victory, Real Salt Lake wallow in defeat – Video

4 Comments

Following D.C. United’s shock 1-0 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final win over Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on Tuesday, soccer fans across America are scratching their heads as to exactly how that happen.

D.C. are by far the worst team in MLS this season, after winning just three of their 30 league games so far they sit rock bottom of the standings and are on course to break many MLS records, not the good kind.

But on Tuesday night in Utah, they rolled their sleeves up and put all that to one side and stunned home team Real Salt Lake to snatch the silverware.

(MORE: D.C. United stuns Real Salt Lake in 2013 U.S. Open Cup final)

United were the deserved winners, but RSL’s failure, once again, in front of their home fans on the big occasion is worrying.

Many thought they were one of the favorites to hoist MLS Cup in 2013, but they couldn’t even lift the Open Cup at home against MLS’ worst side.

They must regroup, fast. Here’s all the reaction from a jubilant D.C. United and a downbeat RSL.

D.C. UNITED – LAMAR HUNT U.S. OPEN CUP CHAMPIONS 2013

“It’s been a strange season,” head coach Ben Olsen said on the pitch after the game. “To have the smiles on those guys faces right now is unbelievable, they’ve forgotten about the negativity of the year. We managed to find focus in this Open Cup and come way with something, even in a season of turmoil with a trophy. I credit hose guys, I credit the organization, everybody, I credit out fans. Our whole organization, we didn’t let the wheel fall off.”

And United’s manager knew that if his squad kept plugging away, their fortunes would turn around sooner rather than later. The Open Cup has been a welcome distraction all season long, as their league play has been nothing short of abysmal.

source: Getty Images
D.C. United captain Dwayne De Rosario and General Partner Will Chang , along with fans, celebrate their 1-0 win over Real Salt Lake.

“We did a great job sticking together,” Olsen said. “The wheels never fell off and there were a lot of times they could have. “We took the Open Cup extremely seriously from the first game. Each game, our belief in the Open Cup grew. The size of the game helped us focus. Some of the guys who have a tough time focusing when it doesn’t matter really did what they needed to do.”

“If we [had lost] this one, it’s back to the drawing board,” Olsen said. “Now we have a new energy about us to finish the season in the right way and look forward.”

Lewis Neal was D.C.’s game-winner, as his left-footed strike just before half time proved the difference between D.C. and RSL. The Englishman hailed their Open Cup performances and the positives it’s brought in a dismal regular season in MLS.

“It’s a huge confidence boost,” Neal said. “We’re under no illusions that the season has been terrible from top to bottom. But for some reason in this cup, we’ve played really well.”

REAL SALT LAKE – LAMAR HUNT U.S. OPEN CUP RUNNERS UP 2013

Real Salt Lake have been here before, damaging defeats in front of their home crowd as they look destined to win a trophy.

source: Getty Images
Javier Morales reacts to Real Salt Lake’s 1-0 defeat against D.C. United

But past failures still don’t make it any easier to accept, as defender Chris Wingert explains.

“It is extremely tough,” Wingert said. “It feels a little bit surreal, like a bad dream right now. I can’t believe it. I’m shocked. I thought for sure we were going to win.

“I can’t believe we had to sit there on the field after the game and realize we came up short — again. I don’t know if I have the words to describe how tough this is.”

Head coach Jason Kreis was also stunned by RSL’s poor showing when it really mattered. The Utah outfit have been riding high in the Western Conference for most of the regular season but when it really mattered — in 2011 falling 1-0 to Monterrey in the CCL final second leg, unable to overturn a first-leg deficit against FC Dallas in the 2010 MLS playoffs and many other occasions — his side put in a pretty dire performance.

“It is something I can’t really put my finger on,” Kreis said. “How we can get so close and how we can have so much momentum through the majority of the season and we get to get to a game like this and we can’t seem to put things together. We can’t seem to get over that last hurdle.”

Salt Lake just didn’t get out of the blocks and several of their big name players like Alvaro Saborio and Javier Morales just didn’t perform.

They still have an MLS Cup and a Supporters’ Shield to challenge for, but if they’re not careful, before too long RSL will be known as MLS’ nearly men.

Or maybe that’s already the case.

Investors want MLS stadium on site of Chargers’ former home

Qualcomm Stadium sits empty Thursday Jan. 12, 2017, in San Diego. The San Diego Chargers announced Thursday that they would move the team to Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Denis Poroy)
AP Photo/Denis Poroy
Leave a comment

SAN DIEGO (AP) With the NFL’s Chargers leaving for Los Angeles, a group of private investors unveiled plans Monday to bring an MLS team to San Diego and build a stadium that can be shared with San Diego State.

In addition to the joint-use venue which could seat up to 30,000, the 166-acre Qualcomm Stadium site which has housed the Chargers would also be used for a sports and entertainment district, according to the FS Investors group’s plans. The plans also set aside acreage for a larger stadium, in case the NFL decides to return to San Diego.

[ MORE: Transfer window names to watch ]

“There are a lot of people that were disappointed with that (the Chargers’ move) and understandably so,” said Nick Stone, a partner in the investors group, which would develop the property and own the MLS franchise. “But we think this is a really, really interesting time to look at the opportunity to bring soccer to San Diego. It’s a very logical market for that.

“We can bring what is the world’s most popular sport, and the fastest growing sport in the U.S.,” Stone said. “One door closed but a really great door opened.”

The Chargers announced on Jan. 12 that they would play in the Los Angeles area next season after 56 seasons in San Diego.

Stone’s group, which includes Padres lead investor Peter Seidler and former Qualcomm president Steve Altman, has the exclusive negotiating rights with the MLS. The league is expected to designate expansion cities this fall.

The investor group said it wouldn’t require taxpayer money for its plan, which includes buying the land now occupied by Qualcomm.

[ MORE: CONCACAF Champions League’s big reboot ]

“This is an exciting concept that could welcome major league soccer to San Diego without public subsidy, provide a home for Aztecs football and create a long-awaited river park,” San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer said in a statement. “I look forward to seeing the final plan.”

After five years, FS Investors said it would donate its half ownership of the stadium to San Diego State. San Diego State’s football team now plays at Qualcomm Stadium, which is also home to college football’s Holiday and Poinsettia bowls.

Report: USMNT forward Picault could be off to MLS

http://www.fcstpauli.com/profis/news/9628

FC St. Pauli
www.fcstpauli.com/profis/news/9628
Leave a comment

Remember Fafa Picault?

The FC St. Pauli striker became a surprise name in USMNT circles when former coach Jurgen Klinsmann shouted him out on Twitter, later calling him into U.S. camp.

Picault, 25, is a center forward who has battled back trouble at times this season, limiting him to six appearances for the 2.Bundesliga side.

[ MORE: Transfer window names to watch ]

He broke out last season, scoring four goals and adding two assists in 16 appearances last season. The former NASL player was capped by Klinsmann in May, going 19 minutes in a 3-1 win over Puerto Rico.

Philadelphia is the top spot for Picault, according to Bild and translated by VAVEL reporter Jonny Walsh. It’s just agent talk, but we’d like to get a closer look at the American man.

How might the USMNT lineup against Serbia?

U.S. men's national soccer team coach Bruce Arena, left, talks to captain Michael Bradley during a practice session Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017, in Carson, Calif. Coach Arena opens camp with the team in the same training complex where he spent the past eight years running the LA Galaxy. Arena returned to the U.S. team in November to salvage its run for World Cup qualification. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)
AP Photo/Jae C. Hong
Leave a comment

It’s six days to Sunday, the first time we’ll see Bruce Arena manage the United States men’s national team since his rehiring late last year.

The Yanks host Serbia in San Diego before moving to Chattanooga for a match against Jamaica. Both matches should be open-and-shut wins, as the Americans’ MLS-only lineup get “B-teams” from Serbia and Jamaica.

[ MORE: Serbia, Jamaica rosters ]

Possible starting center back Matt Hedges and his FC Dallas teammate, Kellyn Acosta, will miss through injury, while Arena sent Kekuta Manneh to Wales for Vancouver Whitecaps camp.

That leaves 28 names — full roster at bottom — and the level of competition means Arena can take risks, like his choice to try Graham Zusi at right back.

Arena used several different formations with the Galaxy last season, opting for anything from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-1-1.

Here are some options against Serbia.

4-2-2-2

Arena could steady the middle of the pitch while using a pair of attack-minded veteran midfielders with points to prove.

Robles

Rosenberry — Birnbaum — Zimmerman — Beasley

Bradley — McCarty

Feilhaber —————————Kljestan

Morris — Altidore


4-4-2 (diamond) — Veteran heavy

Arena likes his veterans, and may want to give them the benefit of the doubt in front of fans and the eyes of U.S. Soccer.

Rimando

Zusi — Marshall — Evans — Beasley

Bedoya — Bradley — Jones — Kljestan

Altidore — Zardes


4-3-3

Bingham

Rosenberry — Birnbaum — Zimmerman — Garza

Bradley

Nagbe — Bedoya

Zardes — Altidore — Morris


Full roster

Goalkeepers: David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls), Brian Rowe (LA Galaxy)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Unattached), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Greg Garza (Atlanta United FC), Taylor Kemp (D.C. United), Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders FC), Keegan Rosenberry (Philadelphia Union), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Midfielders: Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Jermaine Jones (Unattached), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Reports: Krul, Lopez could replace Begovic at Chelsea

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 22: Tim Krul of Newcastle United in aciton during the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester United and Newcastle United at Old Trafford on August 22, 2015 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)
Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images
Leave a comment

It may seem unimportant at first blush, but Chelsea’s backup goalkeeper situation may be in a state of flux right now.

That means the Blues’ very strong title hopes are only a Thibaut Courtois injury away from making it matter a whole bunch more.

Eddie Howe wants Chelsea No. 2 Asmir Begovic to head down south to join Bournemouth,  and the keeper seems interested in a move.

[ MORE: Big changes for CONCACAF Champions League ]

Chelsea’s current No. 3 is Portuguese national teamer Eduardo. The Blues could wait to sell Begovic until summer, but The Express thinks the move is on.

AC Milan backup backstop Diego Lopez is in the frame for Chelsea, according to that report, but a more intriguing name is Newcastle ‘keep Tim Krul. The Dutchman is on loan with Ajax.

Either would be a fitting replacement for Begovic. Will Conte allow the change in the middle of a relatively-stable (Diego Costa aside) title run?