FIFA on 2022 World Cup: No decision before 2014 tournament

4 Comments

On Friday morning FIFA President Sepp Blatter has revealed that a special committee has been organized to try and tackle the scheduling options available for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

What took you so long?

With fans, officials, players and managers up in arms about playing in the intense heat of the Qatari summertime, many are clambering for a switch to a Winter World Cup. So FIFA has to decide to consult medial experts, media, influential European leagues and sponsors, to come to a compromise.

We need to carry out very deep consultations and investigations and show some diplomacy and wisdom,” Blatter said following a two-day meeting in Zurich. “World Cup 2022 will be played in Qatar. There you have it. About the heat, you’re entirely right, and I indeed say that we should have spoken about heat before, and in the bid documents it clearly said that it was hot in Qatar.”

Recently Qatar has also come under intense scrutiny about abusing labor laws and putting the lives of migrant workers in harm as they rush to build the new stadiums.

“As to the working conditions,” Blatter said. “Throughout the world, this is not Fifa’s remit. We cannot assume the duty of supervising security in building sites. As to what has happened now, of course we’re not indifferent to that. It does concern us and for this reason a trip to Qatar is now planned.”

Earlier Friday, FIFA Vice President Jeffrey Webb said, “I don’t think there should be a decision today. We definitely have not been presented with an analysis. We don’t know where the stakeholders are, so I think it would be irresponsible for us to take a decision today.”

Leader of the Asian Football Confederation, Sheikh Salman bin Ibrahim al-Khalifa, will lead the investigation.

It seems as though almost every day more pressure is mounting against the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Today is no different, as Premier League managers have lined up in opposition of the event. Many fear a switch to the Winter would throw up plenty of logistical issues for soccer leagues across the globe, especially Europe.

source: Getty Images
Moyes believes changing to Winter World Cup in 2022 is the only option.

Manchester United manager David Moyes is the latest leading figure to call for the World Cup to be switched. Moyes believes there’s no way it can take place in the summer, and changes will need to be made to the English domestic competitions.

“I think there would be no choice that it would have to move,” Moyes said. “Maybe you’ll need to get rid of FA Cup replays and limit the League Cup, maybe something along those lines.”

Moyes also believes English soccer would be affected for a long time around the much-maligned World Cup.

“I think things would need to be altered in the year before and the year after, certainly,” Moyes said. “I’m sure the Premier League and others are already starting work on that and thinking about it. It does look as though it is going to have to be changed. If it was played in January it could be the equivalent to having a winter break. That would obviously extend things. I’m sure the people in power will try to make the right decisions.”

Elsewhere in the Premier League, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger had his say on FIFA ExCo. looking into the possibilities of a Winter World Cup.

“To me it looks reasonable to play in the winter,” Wenger said. “Because the only thing that matters is the safety of the supporters who go there and attend the games. The players can cope with the heat because they are prepared. They will be in great condition.”

But should there be a new vote on the host for the 2022 World Cup given all of the unrest so far? Wenger doesn’t think so/

“No, unless there are some irregularities proven,” Wenger said. “But if nothing irregular has happened, why should you re-vote? You have to respect the vote and adapt the situation.”

U.S. Soccer Hall of Fame ballot revealed, including Beckham

Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images
Leave a comment

CHICAGO (AP) David Beckham, the English midfielder who brought increased visibility to American soccer and won a pair of Major League Soccer titles while playing for the LA Galaxy from 2007-12, is among 12 first-time candidates on the 33-player ballot for the U.S. National Soccer Hall of Fame.

Defender Steve Cherundolo, midfielder Pablo Mastroeni and forward Brian Ching, key parts of the U.S. national team, also are new candidates on the ballot announced Wednesday. Other first-timers include defenders Chris Albright, Danny Califf and Tina Frimpong Ellertson; goalkeepers Joe Cannon and Kevin Hartman, and midfielders Amado Guevara, Eddie Gaven and Leslie Osborne.

Defender Chris Armas and midfielder Jason Kreis, currently Orlando’s coach, are in their final year of eligibility. Former midfielder Ben Olsen, now D.C. United’s coach, is among the holdovers.

Other men on the ballot include goalkeeper Pat Onstad; defenders Gregg Berhalter, Frankie Hejduk and Tony Sanneh; midfielders Chris Klein, Eddie Lewis and Steve Ralston; and forwards Jeff Cunningham, Clint Mathis, Jaime Moreno, Ante Razov, Taylor Twellman and Josh Wolff.

Women on the ballot include goalkeeper Briana Scurry; defenders Kate Sobrero Markgraf and Heather Mitts; midfielder Aly Wagner; and forward Tiffeny Milbrett.

Voting will take place among men’s and women’s national team coaches, Major League Soccer and National Women’s Soccer league management, U.S. Soccer Federation leadership, Hall of Famers and media. Each voter can list up to 10 players, and a player must appear on at least 66.7 percent of ballots to earn election.

Among those on the builder ballot are former USSF President Bob Contiguglia; referee Esse Baharmast; coaches Gene Chyzowych, Eddie Firmani, Gordon Jago and Joe Machnik; and administrators Richard Groff, Tim Leiweke, Francisco Marcos and Kevin Payne.

The 15-player veteran ballot, voted on only by Hall of Famers, has George Best, Chico Borja, Mike Burns, John Doyle, Marco Etcheverry, Linda Hamilton, Mary Harvey, Chris Henderson, Dominic Kinnear, Shep Messing, Cindy Parlow, Tiffany Roberts, Mike Sorber, Tisha Venturini-Hoch and Roy Wegerle.

The hall’s building in Oneonta, New York, closed in 2010. A new facility in Frisco, Texas, is under construction and slated to open in 2018.

Premier League stats of the season — Opta

Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With the 2016-17 Premier League season officially complete, a look at some of the compelling, shocking and record-breaking stats, from August to May — all stats courtesy of the good folks at Opta:

[ MORE: Pogba, Mkhitaryan fire Man United to Europa League trophy ]

30 — Chelsea (30 wins) have broken the PL record for most wins in a season (previously 29, by Chelsea in 2004-05, and 2005-06)

457 — Only Chelsea (457 minutes) were in a losing position in PL matches for less time than Liverpool (471 mins) this season

114 — Chelsea used all three substitutes in every Premier League game this season (114 in total) – they are only the second team to do this in a 38-game Premier League season (Manchester City, in 2014-15)

230 — Michy Batshuayi’s title-winning goal for Chelsea at West Bromwich Albion was his first PL shot on target since Sept. 24th, 2016 (230 days), and only his third overall in the competition

3,420 — Cesar Azpilicueta became the fourth outfield player in PL history to play every minute of a title-winning season (after Gary Pallister, in 1992-93; John Terry, in 2014-15; and Wes Morgan, in 2015-16)

1 — Because of their opening day victory against Leicester City, Hull City spent one more day on top of the PL than Tottenham Hotspur did in 2016-17 (0)

86 — 11 previous PL champions have won the title with a point tally equal to or less than Tottenham’s 86-point tally in 2016-17

+60 — Tottenham Hotspur’s goal difference of +60 is the highest in PL history for a non-title winning side

3 — Tottenham were the only club in England’s top four tiers to see as many as three players score 20+ goals for them in all competitions this season (Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Son Heung-min)

6 — Harry Kane now has six PL hat-tricks for Spurs, twice as many as any other player for the club (Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe, both with 3)

0 — Liverpool were unbeaten in the PL against the top seven teams this season (12 played: 7 won, 5 drawn, 0 lost) but their record against the other 13 sides was (26 played: 15 won, 5 drawn, 6 lost)

38 — Both Arsenal and Manchester United have finished outside of the top four of the top-flight for the first time since 1978-79 (38 years)

600 — Manchester United became the first team to win 600 PL matches (962 played: 604 won, 209 drawn, 149 lost)

2,000 — Manchester United also became the first team to win 2000 points in the PL, with victory over Watford in February

11 — 11 different English players made 20+ PL appearances for Bournemouth this season. The last PL team to do this was Aston Villa, in 2000-01 (also 11 players)

48.8% — West Bromwich Albion scored a league-high proportion of their goals from set-piece situations this season (48.8%). They also conceded the lowest proportion from set-pieces (21.6%)

70 — Swansea City conceded 70 goals in the PL this season. Only two teams have conceded more in a 38-game PL season and survived relegation (Wigan, in 2009-10 — 79, and West Bromwich Albion in 2010-11 — 71)

13 — Hull City gave away 13 penalties this season, the most of any side in a single PL campaign

Men in Blazers podcast: “The Blazers” awards, plus John Terry’s farewell

Leave a comment

Rog and Davo recap the race for Top Four, John Terry‘s farewell at Chelsea and another Harry Kane hat trick. Plus, they roll out the red carpet for the 2016-17 end-of-season awards, “The Blazers.”

All of the MiB content — pods, videos and stories can be seen here, but to really stay in touch, follow, subscribe, click here:

Subscribe to the podcast OR to update your iTunes subscriptions ]

Click here for the RSS feed ]

“Three trophies and CL”: Mourinho relieved after “most difficult season”

Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Don’t try to tell Jose Mourinho that his first season at Manchester United wasn’t a raging success, because all you’d get in return is a simple shake of the head before he walks away.

[ MORE: Pogba, Mkhitaryan fire Man United to Europa League trophy ]

Following Wednesday’s Europa League final victory over Ajax, one which put Man United into next season’s UEFA Champions League, Mourinho was adamant that the club’s 2016-17 season was a success, despite the fact the Red Devils finished sixth in the Premier League.

“Three trophies in one season and the Champions League,” as Mourinho put it, in his “most difficult season as a manager” — quotes from the BBC:

“We totally deserved the win. I am so happy to see the boys with the crutches with the trophy and now I am on holiday. I don’t want to see any international friendlies, I am selfish. I can’t do it.

“For me, enough is enough. It has been a very hard last few months, we were short of numbers.

“Three trophies in one season and the Champions League. I am very happy in my most difficult season as a manager.”

[ WATCH: Pogba gives United an early lead ]

As for his summer shopping list and Wayne Rooney‘s future at the club, well… Mourinho was much clearer about one than the other — quotes from the BBC:

“Ed Woodward has my list, what I want, what I would like for more than two months. So now it’s up to him and the owners. But I don’t care about football for now.

“Wayne Rooney was ready to play, he was a big option. But I didn’t need to attack at 2-0. I told him yesterday that he could be the key man but he can perfectly be here next season. He is a very important player for us. If he stays next season I’d be very happy.”