Crystal Palace v Swansea City - Premier League

Michu attracting Arsenal, Liverpool but Swansea slap $45 million price tag on him

1 Comment

After receiving his first call up to the Spanish national team this week, it’s no surprise that Michu is being courted by some of the Premier League’s top teams.

It has been happening for a while already.

Reports in England on Wednesday suggest that both Liverpool and Arsenal are set to battle it out for the Spanish star when the transfer window reopens in January. But in order to deter those two illustrious suitors, Swansea have slapped a mammoth $45 million price tag on the 27-year-old strikers head. That will test their mettle.

(MORE: Michu finally called up to Spain squad, but will he fit in?)

See, Michu was a bargain at $3.5 million just over 12 months ago when the Swans snapped him up from Rayo Vallecano, and everyone knows it. So, for the Welsh side to be asking for a profit of over $41 million following one good season and a solid start to this campaign, it does seem a little ridiculous.

And no offense to Michu, but he’s no spring chicken, so should the Gunners and Liverpool look elsewhere?

Probably not.

As PST’s very own Mike Prindinville suggested yesterday, Michu is exactly what the Spanish national team has been missing, with his aggressive forward play and gangly genius in and around the box definitely differing from Spain’s usual tiki-taka approach. Yet his style does suit Arsenal and Liverpool superbly, with both teams playing with one out and out target forward who posts up high on the last man and can bring other attackers into the game with sumptuous balls wide and in behind the defense. Michu, despite being a great goalscorer with 27 goals in 54 games so far for Swansea, is also a creator. And if he were to join Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool, imagine the havoc he would create by threading through balls to Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge to attack from wide areas. The same could be said at Arsenal, with Theo Walcott, Mesut Ozil and others onrushing to latch onto his wonderfully weighted passes.

Think about it.

Plus, both Arsenal and Liverpool have had strong starts to the season but will definitely need to bolster their rosters in January to help sustain their push for at least a top four spot. After Suarez and Sturridge, Liverpool really don’t have any top forward options, while the Gunners are even more desperate to bolster their offense, with no recognized strikers after Olivier Giroud and outcast Nicklas Bendtner.

Every player has his price, and although Swansea won’t want to lose Michu, could they really stand in his way of joining Liverpool or Arsenal?

So it’s up to those two to battle it out for the lanky Spaniard, a shed load of cash will get the job done. Is he worth it?

Blatter, Platini both officially appeal FIFA suspension

SAINT PETERSBURG, RUSSIA - JULY 25:  FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini look on during the Team Seminar ahead of the Preliminary Draw of the 2018 FIFA World Cup at the Corinthia Hotel on July 25, 2015 in Saint Petersburg, Russia.  (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Suspended FIFA executives Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have both officially appealed their 90-day bans through various means in attempts to clear their names.

The pair have been forced to temporarily vacate their office due to an investigation by Swiss authorities into corruption charges based on a “disloyal payment” of around $2 million from Blatter to Platini in 2011.

Blatter’s appeal was lodged within FIFA on Friday, with the president’s lawyer confirming he has “requested additional proceedings before the Adjudicatory Chamber of the Ethics Committee and filed an appeal with the Appeal Committee.”

Blatter’s American lawyer Richard Cullen said he is “very hopeful” the suspension will be lifted on appeal, while his lawyer team back on Thursday argued in a statement that the FIFA Ethics Committee “based its decision [to suspend Blatter] on a misunderstanding of the actions of the attorney general in Switzerland, which has opened an investigation but brought no charge against the president.”

The New York Times obtained a copy of the appeal, in which Blatter’s lawyers demand to see the case file which the Ethics Committee reviewed upon its decision to suspend the 79-year-old. It also asks that he receive a full opportunity to argue his innocence in front of the committee; previously, he was only afforded a short interview with Swiss investigators.

Meanwhile, Platini’s appeal came through Saturday morning and is filed with the Court of Arbitration for Sport. His case has received official, legal backing from the French FA as his home nominating association for the upcoming presidential election. Using the French FA’s support, Platini can bypass the FIFA appeals system which he individually must exhaust before moving to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

CONMEBOL has also publicly supported Platini, issuing a statement that says it “does not agree” with the decision to suspend him, calling it “untimely and disproportionate” while stating, “The presumption of innocence is a fundamental right that has to be considered. Mr. Platini has not been found guilty of any charge, therefore the provisional ban jeopardizes the integrity of the electoral process to the FIFA presidency, of which Mr. Platini is a candidate.”

Platini has not been replaced at his UEFA presidential post, with no interim leader named. “This is because the UEFA executive committee is aware that the UEFA president will immediately take all necessary steps to appeal the decision of the FIFA ethics committee to clear his name,” UEFA said in a statement. They confirmed he will not continue his duties while under punishment.

The FIFA Executive Committee has announced it will hold an emergency meeting on October 20 to discuss the situation. Among the topics that will be considered will be a decision on whether to postpone the February 26 presidential election.

Emerson Hyndman says he wishes to leave Fulham amid contract standoff

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 28: Emerson Hyndman of Fulham celebrates after scoring the team's second goal during the FA Youth Cup Final: First Leg match between Fulham and Chelsea at Craven Cottage on April 28, 2014 in London, England. (Photo by Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Emerson Hyndman is stuck in an endless circle at his home club Fulham, and the only way out he sees would be to leave.

With his contract set to expire in the upcoming summer, Fulham has been pushing hard for the 19-year-old to lock down a long-term deal as many of his teammates have done in the recent months. Unfortunately, due to reported interest from abroad from teams like Borussia Dortmund, plus others in La Liga and the Dutch Eredivisie, Hyndman has been unwilling to do so thus far.

As a result, the USMNT prospect has seen little playing time, with manager Kit Symons understandably unwilling to let him see the field while he refuses to commit his future to the club. Hyndman has just eight minutes of League Cup play to his name so far this campaign.

Hyndman blames the lack of action as the main reason why he wants to depart, telling American Soccer Now’s Brian Sciaretta that he would like to move on.

“It’s a little difficult right now,” he said. “I’ve told them in the past that I think it’s time for me to move on. There are clubs out there that are interested and that I am excited about, so it’s difficult for me right now, and I can’t see myself getting too many first-team minutes. I feel that I had a good preseason, and I thought I might get a chance, but I am really looking forward to the future more than anything.

Unfortunately, that seems a bit unfair to his club. Why would a Championship club looking to build from within give significant minutes to a player who refuses to sign a long-term deal and looks set to leave in the summer? Then he tags the lack of playing time as the reason he wants to leave. It all seems to be a never-ending cycle.

Hyndman joined the Fulham youth setup at age 15 and flourished last season, making both his club first-team debut and earning a cap with the senior national team. He is currently with the U-23 Olympic team leading the charge for Rio 2016 qualification.

There is no doubting Hyndman’s abilities on the field, but for his sake, he needs to sort out his club situation as quickly as possible to further his growth as a midfielder.