Kevin Santamaria Guzman, Kyle Beckerman, Menjivar Peraza

Klinsmann promises another businesslike approach in tonight’s qualifier closer at Panama


There will be lots of tension inside Panama City’s Estadio Rommel Fernandez – but all of it on Panama’s side.

Panama has to beat the United States tonight (9:30 p.m. ET kickoff on beIN Sport) and look for help from Costa Rica in order to make history and keep dreaming about a World Cup; it would be the first appearance in the finals for the small, Central American nation.

They’ll only have a chance to get there with a win Tuesday, combined with a Mexico loss at Costa Rica. (The matches kick off simultaneously.) That would leave the Panamanians in fourth place as the CONCACAF final round of qualifying closes, putting them into a playoff with New Zealand.

(MORE: Mexico’s chances of a point against Costa Rica? Pretty good)

The United States has little to play for as a team, having already clinched its World Cup berth a month back, and having already secured first place in the group. But this remains a critical opportunity for the bubble types of the U.S. player pool, guys who will be increasingly desperate to impress manager Jurgen Klinsmann and better position themselves for the 23-man World Cup roster.

“We know what’s at stake for Panama, we know what’s at stake for Mexico, but we have to take care of our own situation, and we badly want to take three points out of this game,” said Klinsmann, echoing the approach he has adopted since, literally, minutes after the United States clinched its spot.

source: Reuters
With Friday’s comfortable 2-0 win Friday over Jamaica, the national team is 26-9-6 under Jurgen Klinsmann.

It is all part of his bigger plan to create a more aggressive U.S. mindset, one less content with status quo. He wants the United States to be more of a bully, to squash the teams it might have merely beaten before. So finishing out the 2014 qualifying campaign with a win plays snugly into that narrative.

“World Cup qualifying is very serious business,” he said Monday from Panama City. “Everyone who is here is very highly focused and wants to show a great game. Obviously, we are very happy that we have already qualified. But I have already told the players last week, we are already preparing things for Brazil, so whoever goes on the field needs has to show the best he can in order to build their case for Brazil.  We only have a few games going forward [before Brazil 2014], there is not much that we can go ‘try out and see,’ so all of our players are 100 percent focused.”

Klinsmann’s men certainly heard the message on Friday, steering comfortably through a young Jamaican squad with a 2-0 win in Kansas City. Panama, with far more motivation, presents slightly more of an obstacle. The nation’s World Cup dream took a potentially fatal blow on Raul Jimenez’s instantly famous goal turned a draw into a loss in Mexico City, so the desperation will be firmly on Panama’s side.

(MORE: Revisiting Jimenez’s stunning, spectacular goal for Mexico vs. Panama)  

Some of the obstacle factor for Panama and top man Blas Perez has been removed as Klinsmann sent four players home, mostly because of injury concerns. The U.S. starting lineup tonight will be missing its four best players, goalkeeper Tim Howard, midfielder Michael Bradley and forwards Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan.

In addition, starters Jermaine Jones and Omar Gonzalez are missing, and starting left back DaMarcus Beasley is questionable with a hamstring issue.

(MORE: Klinsmann makes several roster changes ahead of Panama match)

(MORE: Klinsmann says Brad Guzan deserves a qualifier start)

Arsenal still waiting on severity of Alexis Sanchez’s injury

NORWICH, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 29:  An injured Alexis Sanchez of Arsenal (17) is given assistance during the Barclays Premier League match between Norwich City and Arsenal at Carrow Road on November 29, 2015 in Norwich, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
1 Comment

Arsenal’s fans are sweating on news regarding Alexis Sanchez’s left hamstring injury and it seems as though the wait for a diagnosis will go on.

[ MORE: Chelsea’s new stadium plans ]

Arsene Wenger has come under plenty of criticism for playing Sanchez, 26, despite the Chilean star complaining of a hamstring injury before the Norwich game on Sunday, and when he pulled up clutching his left hamstring in the second half Wenger’s face was one of anger and disappointment.

Multiple reports claim that Sanchez’s injury is still being assessed by Arsenal’s medical staff as Wenger faces an anxious wait to see how long his star forward is out for.

Here’s what Wenger had to say directly after Arsenal’s draw at Norwich, as the media questioned why he would play Sanchez if he was already struggling with a hamstring complaint.

“Nobody is scientifically developed enough, not even the press, to predict exactly when a guy will be injured,” Wenger said. “I would have rested him but he felt perfectly alright before the game. We declared that he had no problem. Despite all the tests he looked alright. The players are there to play football not to be rested when the press decides that they need to be rested. He [Alexis] says it is a kick on his hamstring but I believe that is not really the reality.”

The reality is that Sanchez — who has scored nine times in 20 appearances this season — could miss some crucial games for the Gunners, including their UEFA Champions League Group F showdown with Olympiakos next Wednesday in Greece. Arsenal need a win by a two-goal margin or any win by scoring three or more goals to advance to the last 16 of the UCL, but with Sanchez out and plenty of others struggling, the dreaded injury plague struck the North London club in November, a month they always seem to falter in, once again.

[ MORE: City now valued at $3 billion ]

Santi Cazorla suffered a knee injury against Norwich and like Sanchez it’s unclear how long the Spanish midfielder will be out for. The only piece of good news to come from Sunday’s draw in Norfolk is that Laurent Koscielny should be available to play against Sunderland on Saturday (Watch live, 10 a.m. ET on USA and online via Live Extra) after overcoming a hip injury which forced him off early last weekend.

However, with Francis Coquelin out long-term, plus Theo Walcott and Kieran Gibbs making their way back slowly and long-term absentees Jack Wilshere, Danny Welbeck and Tomas Rosicky out until January, Wenger’s squad is being stretched to the limit.

Report: Chelsea, Man United to battle for Muller

Telekom Cup 2015 - "Bayern Munich v FC Augsburg"

Chelsea are set to join Manchester United in bidding for Bayern Munich and Germany star Thomas Muller.

[ MORE: Chelsea’s new stadium plans ]

Muller, 26, has previously revealed he turned down a move to United but with Pep Guardiola’s future at Bayern unclear beyond the current season, the product of Bayern’s academy may feel now is the right time to move on even though he’s contracted to the German powerhouse until 2019.

If he does, Europe’s biggest teams will be lining up and according to a report in the Daily Mirror Chelsea want to sign Muller and will make an audacious move to make him their main striker as Jose Mourino and Diego Costa‘s fallout continued with the Spanish international left on the bench during the draw at Tottenham Hotspur last weekend.

With Costa sulking, Mourinho  has been linked with moves for a number of strikers in January and next summer with Jamie Vardy, Saido Berahino and Antoine Griezmann all mentioned in the gossip columns.

[ MORE: City now valued at $3 billion ]

In the past Muller has said that he turned down “astronomical offers” to join foreign clubs and United were his main suitors. With the man who gave him his debut at Bayern, Louis Van Gaal, now in charge at United and the Red Devils continuing to spend big, Muller has been constantly linked with a switch to Old Trafford but many Bayern greats are urging him to remain at the Allianz Arena to become a Bayern legend, or at the very least join the all-conquering Barcelona rather than head to England.

Muller’s predatory finishing alongside Eden Hazard, Oscar and Willian certainly seems like a good fit at Chelsea and you can understand why they would want to break the bank to get him, but offloading Costa and others first must be the priority which is why any such deal for Muller seems unlikely to happen until next summer at the earliest.

If the man who has scored 141 goals in 325 games for Bayern is intent on leaving the Bundesliga after spending his entire career in Bavaria, then Chelsea and United will be falling over themselves to sign him.

PHOTOS: Chelsea submit stunning 60,000 stadium plans

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 26:  An aerial view of Stamford Bridge home of Chelsea Football Club on July 26, 2011 in London, England.  (Photo by Tom Shaw/Getty Images)
1 Comment

Chelsea announced on Tuesday that they have submitted plans to upgrade their existing Stadium Bridge to hold over 60,000.

[ MORE: City valued at $3 billion

The Blues will have to play away from their home for up to three seasons while the current stadium is upgraded, with most of the existing structure being demolished and revamped as Russian owner Roman Abramovich will finance the new stadium which could cost over $750 million.

[ MORE: Costa’s time up at Chelsea? ]

Via the club website, Chelsea issued the following message to fans and their neighbors in West London, as anybody who has ever visited the Bridge will tell you that it’s squeezed into a tight 12-acre site banked by housing, two train lines, a cemetery and more.

A planning application for a new stadium at Stamford Bridge with an expanded seating capacity has been submitted. This follows a successful consultation process during which we received very helpful feedback. This application will now be examined by the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.

The main details of the application are:

– Stadium seating capacity to expand from 41,600 to 60,000 spectators

– An outstanding view of the stadium from every seat

– An arena designed to create an exciting atmosphere

– Direct access to and from Fulham Broadway Station, making travel more efficient

– Stadium facilities improved for every area

The planning process will last beyond the end of the season; if the application is granted planning permission there will still be a lot of work to do before redevelopment can start, including obtaining various other consents. We will inform you of progress through this process.

This will not be an easy project to get over the line but looking at the stunning photos below, if Chelsea can get this through the planning stage and put a shovel in the ground sometime soon, then their ability to attract almost 20,000 extra fans to home games will see them able to compete and surpass Europe’s big boys financially.

After searching for numerous other sites in London to build a new stadium, Chelsea have instead opted for the costlier option of staying at Stamford Bridge. The redevelopment would involved a complex excavation which would see the pitch lowered into the ground in order to squeeze in all 60,000 fans. If they get the green light the stadium would have the same capacity as Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, while expansions to Anfield, the Etihad Stadium and White Hart Lane will also see those stadiums hover around the 60,000 mark.

With a capacity of 75, 731 Old Trafford remains the biggest stadium in the Premier League but the others are catching up as UEFA’s Financial Fair Play rules continue to kick in and generating more revenue from ticket sales is key for clubs like Chelsea who aim to perennially challenge for the top titles domestically and in Europe.

If Chelsea are able to build a new stadium at Stamford Bridge they will have to find a temporary solution in London with both Wembley Stadium and Twickenham mentioned as options. However, with Tottenham also looking for a temporary home while White Hart Lane is redeveloped, there could be quite a battle between those two for a solution.

Anyway, take a peak at these photos below to see how a new Stamford Bridge would look.

Source: Herzog & de Meuron
Source: Herzog & de Meuron
Source: LBHF
stamford bridge ground_tcm21-199539
Source: Herzog & de Meuron

Chinese group buy 13 percent stake in Man City for $400 million

Leave a comment

It turns out Manchester City is valued at $3 billion.

[ MORE: Costa’s time at Chelsea up? ]

On Tuesday it was announced that after six months of talks a 13 percent stake in the City Football Group (CFG), owned by Abu Dhabi based Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, was sold to investors from China for $400 million.

CFG comprises of the jewel in its crown, Man City, plus New York City FC in Major League Soccer, Melbourne City FC in Australia’s A-league and a stake in the Yokohama Marinos in Japan.

This huge investment from a Chinese consortium — made up of China Media Capital Holdings and CITIC Capital — comes less than a month after China’s President  Xi Jinping visited City’s training ground during a tour of Britain.

Why are Chinese investors pumping millions of dollars into the already wealthy club?

The chairman of China Media Capital — a state-backed media firm — Ruigang Li believes that the consortium’s investment can help the growth of soccer in China.

“We and our consortium partner CITIC Capital also see this investment as a prime opportunity for furthering the contribution of China to the global football family,” Li said.

As for City, they aim to make the most of this link up with China with chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak hopeful of the extra growth opportunities this deal will provide.

“Our belief is that we now have an unrivaled platform to grow CFG, our clubs and companies both in China and internationally,” Al Mubarak said. “We will be working hard with our new partners to realize the potential that this deal creates.”

[ MORE:  Who is favorite for MLS Cup 2015? ]

Perhaps more important than this investment from China is the fact that the company which owns Man City is now valued at $3 billion on the New York Stock Exchange. Their close neighbors Manchester United are currently valued at $3.05 billion on the NYSE. United seeing their so called “noisy neighbors” not only succeed on the pitch but now challenge their financial dominance off the pitch, the Red Devils will be wary of City’s rise to the upper echelons of English and European soccer, and now way beyond that with their ventures overseas and particularly in China after this huge influx of cash.

If, as seems to be the case, it’s a matter of if and not when the sport of soccer explodes into mainstream society in China, City being owned by companies with close links to the Chinese state will certainly help them generate more fans, revenue and business from the country with the largest population on planet earth. Tapping into that potential — other teams like Real Madrid, Liverpool and United have a strong and loyal fanbase in East Asia — seems like a savvy move for a club who have invested billions of dollars in building themselves into a world superpower.