Bradley

With Bob Bradley’s future uncertain, should the ‘American Pharaoh’ return to MLS?

4 Comments

Following the 6-1 demolition of Egypt by Ghana on Tuesday, rumors surrounding the future of Bob Bradley have been doing the rounds.

Bradley, 55, is still the coach of the Egyptian national team as multiple sources have confirmed, however how much longer that lasts is another story entirely.

On Wednesday the Egyptian FA released a statement on its website stating that a meeting would be held on Monday Oct. 21 to discuss the fallout from Egypt’s embarrassing playoff loss away from home. That sounds pretty ominous for the man many have dubbed the ‘American Pharaoh’ and it seems as though his time in the turbulent North African nation could be coming to a premature end.

But what next for Bradley?

Well, it’s not like he’ll have a shortage of options after the stellar job he’s done so far for Egypt. The 6-1 pummeling by Ghana aside, he led the troubled country to a 100 percent record in the group stages of CAF qualifying as the only nation in the world go through WC qualifying winning every game. So, Bradley deserves a huge amount of credit for handling the situation in Egypt and turning a struggling nation into a side that can at least dream of World Cup qualification once more.

(MORE: Huge first leg loss to leave Egypt, Bradley in search of a miracle)

The turmoil hasn’t made life easy, as the Port Said disaster coupled with the Egyptian uprising and revolution has seen Bradley and his squad working in uncertain circumstances without a national league for most of his tenure. Perhaps all of that pressure and stress put on Bradley and the Egyptian people amongst all the troubles proved too much against Ghana on Tuesday. It will take a miracle to turn around that heavy first-leg defeat next month. But I think Egypt owes Bradley and if he wants to give it one more shot and go out in a blaze of glory in the first soccer match staged in Cairo for almost two years, despite Ghana’s protests, then he should be allowed to do that.

A match in Cairo in November will give Egypt a chance to say thanks to the ‘American Pharaoh’ and vice versa.

source:
Often under-appreciated in MLS and with the USMNT, is now the right time for Bradley to make a heroic return to the USA?

Bradley has revitalized a soccer nation desperate for success, and in turn his relative success has helped rebuild his status as a top international coach after being knocked out of the 2010 World Cup to, you guessed it, Ghana With the brilliant job he’s done with Egypt, other national teams in need of a rebuild or smaller clubs in Europe may be sniffing around Bradley.

But I think now is a good time for him to return to MLS.

Could Chivas USA use the expertise and calmness of their old coach? Definitely. And let’s face it, despite all the uproar and misgivings at Chivas, Bradley’s now used to handling much more pressure and craziness in Egypt. With another of his old MLS teams, Chicago Fire, desperate to return to former glories, could Bradley return to move Frank Klopas’ side to the next level? Perhaps. And in reality, almost every MLS teams and their fans would love to see Bradley back in the U.S. coaching.

After all the bad things written and said about Bradley towards the end of his stint as USMNT head coach, now U.S. fans are desperate for him to succeed in Egypt or wherever he ends up. His status as a top American soccer coach has returned.

Now it’s time he returned home, to MLS.

Calum Chambers joins Middlesbrough on loan

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 30: Calum Chambers of Arsenal and Scott Arfield of Burnley compete for the ball  during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Arsenal and Burnley at Emirates Stadium on January 30, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images)
Paul Gilham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.

[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]

The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.

Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.

Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.

“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”

Arsenal adds defensive depth, signs Mustafi from Valencia

GETAFE, SPAIN - APRIL 24:  Shkodran Mustafi of Valencia applauds fans after Valencia drew 2-2 with Getafe CF during the La Liga match between Getafe CF and Valencia CF at Coliseum Alfonso Perez on April 24, 2016 in Getafe, Spain.  (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)
Denis Doyle/Getty Images[
Leave a comment

The Gunners have been heavily criticized for not spending enough during the transfer season, however, Arsene Wenger has gotten the man he wanted to help out defensively.

[ MORE: Rooney retiring from England after 2018 World Cup ]

Arsenal announced the signing of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday, after the German centerback had been previously been linked to the club for some time as their top transfer target.

Mustafi will likely figure immediately into the Arsenal defense, which has also added Rob Holding this summer. The 24-year-old made over 64 appearances for Valencia while in La Liga after beginning his academy career in England with Everton.

Hope Solo reveals she won’t play in NWSL for rest of 2016

CHICAGO, IL - JULY 09:  Hope Solo #1 of the United States kicks the ball up the field as she posts her100th career shut-out against South Africa in a friendly match at Soldier Field on July 9, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois. The United States defeated South Africa 1-0.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hope Solo hasn’t had the best couple of weeks since the U.S. Women’s National Team bailed out of the 2016 Olympics.

On Tuesday, the U.S. keeper announced her decision to take a step back from her club team as well after receiving a six-month ban from U.S. Soccer.

The veteran American shot stopper took to Twitter to make her decision known, leaving her status unknown with the Seattle Reign in the future. Solo remains under contract until the end of the current campaign, however, it is not known as to how her decision to sit out will affect her financially.

Solo wil be eligible to return to the USWNT in February, but it will be up to head coach Jill Ellis to reintroduce the 35-year-old into the fold.

Gyasi Zardes to miss the remainder of MLS regular season

CARSON, CA - FEBRUARY 09:  Gyasi Zardes #11 of Los Angeles Galaxy attemps to break away from Leiton Jimenez #30 of Club Tijuana at StubHub Center on February 9, 2016 in Carson, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Harry How/Getty Images
Leave a comment

U.S. Men’s National Team and LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes will miss the rest of the MLS regular season with a broken bone in his right foot.

It was initially believed on Monday that the U.S. attacker could be out until the end of 2016 after suffering the injury in Saturday’s 0-0 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Zardes was taken down by Whitecaps defender Kendall Waston during the latter stages of the match, with the Costa Rican apparently catching the inside of the 24-year-old’s foot, ultimately causing the injury.

Because of his extended absence, Zardes was ruled out of consideration for the USMNT squad ahead of their upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago.