With Bob Bradley’s future uncertain, should the ‘American Pharaoh’ return to MLS?

4 Comments

Following the 6-1 demolition of Egypt by Ghana on Tuesday, rumors surrounding the future of Bob Bradley have been doing the rounds.

Bradley, 55, is still the coach of the Egyptian national team as multiple sources have confirmed, however how much longer that lasts is another story entirely.

On Wednesday the Egyptian FA released a statement on its website stating that a meeting would be held on Monday Oct. 21 to discuss the fallout from Egypt’s embarrassing playoff loss away from home. That sounds pretty ominous for the man many have dubbed the ‘American Pharaoh’ and it seems as though his time in the turbulent North African nation could be coming to a premature end.

But what next for Bradley?

Well, it’s not like he’ll have a shortage of options after the stellar job he’s done so far for Egypt. The 6-1 pummeling by Ghana aside, he led the troubled country to a 100 percent record in the group stages of CAF qualifying as the only nation in the world go through WC qualifying winning every game. So, Bradley deserves a huge amount of credit for handling the situation in Egypt and turning a struggling nation into a side that can at least dream of World Cup qualification once more.

(MORE: Huge first leg loss to leave Egypt, Bradley in search of a miracle)

The turmoil hasn’t made life easy, as the Port Said disaster coupled with the Egyptian uprising and revolution has seen Bradley and his squad working in uncertain circumstances without a national league for most of his tenure. Perhaps all of that pressure and stress put on Bradley and the Egyptian people amongst all the troubles proved too much against Ghana on Tuesday. It will take a miracle to turn around that heavy first-leg defeat next month. But I think Egypt owes Bradley and if he wants to give it one more shot and go out in a blaze of glory in the first soccer match staged in Cairo for almost two years, despite Ghana’s protests, then he should be allowed to do that.

A match in Cairo in November will give Egypt a chance to say thanks to the ‘American Pharaoh’ and vice versa.

source:
Often under-appreciated in MLS and with the USMNT, is now the right time for Bradley to make a heroic return to the USA?

Bradley has revitalized a soccer nation desperate for success, and in turn his relative success has helped rebuild his status as a top international coach after being knocked out of the 2010 World Cup to, you guessed it, Ghana With the brilliant job he’s done with Egypt, other national teams in need of a rebuild or smaller clubs in Europe may be sniffing around Bradley.

But I think now is a good time for him to return to MLS.

Could Chivas USA use the expertise and calmness of their old coach? Definitely. And let’s face it, despite all the uproar and misgivings at Chivas, Bradley’s now used to handling much more pressure and craziness in Egypt. With another of his old MLS teams, Chicago Fire, desperate to return to former glories, could Bradley return to move Frank Klopas’ side to the next level? Perhaps. And in reality, almost every MLS teams and their fans would love to see Bradley back in the U.S. coaching.

After all the bad things written and said about Bradley towards the end of his stint as USMNT head coach, now U.S. fans are desperate for him to succeed in Egypt or wherever he ends up. His status as a top American soccer coach has returned.

Now it’s time he returned home, to MLS.

USMNT: Brooks out with hip strain; World Cup qualifiers loom

AP Photo/Michael Sohn
Leave a comment

John Brooks is out of Hertha Berlin’s lineup “for the time being” after scans revealed a hip strain suffered in this weekend’s win over Wolfsburg.

That’s all Hertha has said, and that makes it hard to imagine whether American fans should be a little concerned or very concerned ahead of the USMNT’s World Cup qualifiers against Mexico, and Trinidad and Tobago in early June.

Brooks was unavailable for two weeks with an adductor strain in September, missing a month before returning to the starting lineup.

The U.S. center back pool isn’t teeming after Brooks and Geoff Cameron. Matt Besler, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, and Walker Zimmerman were called up for the last World Cup qualifiers, and Gonzalez struggled but is a Bruce Arena favorite from their time in L.A.

WATCH: Snazzy Sargent goal leads U.S. U-17s past Mexico

twitter.com/_joshsargent_
Leave a comment

Josh Sargent scored a pretty goal as the United States Soccer program had another banner day against Mexico.

Nearly two months to the day after the U.S. U-20 side beat Mexico for the first time in 31 years, the U.S. U-17 topped El Tri for the first time ever. That win snapped Mexico’s 25-match unbeaten streak.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

The goal is the first of Sargent’s two goals, as the 16-year-old latched onto a long diagonal ball and used his right foot and head to move the ball into position for a strong shot.

The U.S. clinches a spot in the next round of U-17 World Cup qualifying with one match remaining in group play.

Sargent is from St. Louis and plays with Scott Gallagher-Missouri. Former Philadelphia Union coach John Hackworth coaches the U.S. U-17s.

Heads of South American soccer sent $128M in bank transfers

AP Photo/Esteban Felix
Leave a comment

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) The leaders of South America’s soccer confederation transferred $128.6 million between 2000 and 2015 to personal accounts, suspicious accounts, or unauthorized third-party accounts, according to an audit released Wednesday by Ernst & Young.

According to the audit presented to the annual CONMEBOL congress in the Chilean capital, the confederation’s former president Nicolas Leoz transferred $26.9 million to his personal accounts. Leoz was the president for 27 years until resigning in 2013 for what he said were health reasons.

The audit also found $58 million in payments “to third parties without adequate documentation,” payments of $33.3 million to “unidentified accounts,” and $10.4 million to “suspicious third-parties.”

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

“We had said that we would have four pillars, and the first two pillars were clear accounts and accountability,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of CONMEBOL who commissioned the audit last year. “Today we are accountable to the leaders and the whole world of football.”

Leoz, 88, is one of three ex-presidents of CONMEBOL accused on corruption charges by the United States Department of Justice. He is in Paraguay fighting extradition to the United States.

The South American body has been plagued by corruption, which was exposed two years ago during the FIFA scandal. Leoz’s two successors, Eugenio Figueredo and Juan Angel Napout, were both arrested on corruption charges.

“I’m here, I’m the manager” – Moyes will not quit Sunderland

Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

This has been one horrible stretch for David Moyes.

The Sunderland manager probably thought he’d been through the worst once he left Real Sociedad, where he went 12-15-15.

But he’s managed just seven wins and seven draws in 38 matches in charge of the Black Cats — an 18 percent win mark. He’s also been charged for threatening to slap a female journalist.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

And after Wednesday, Moyes has lost both of his derby matches against Middlesbrough.

Sunderland is 12 points back of safety with five matches left. The odds the Black Cats are headed for the Championship are somewhere north of 99 percent, and fans are calling for his job.

Well, he isn’t quitting. From the BBC:

“No, I’m here, I’m the manager, you take it on the chin. … I’m a football supporter, I know what it’s like. You don’t like seeing your team lose.

“There is nobody who wants to win more than me. I am used to winning, I’m not used to losing and I don’t want to get used to it either.”