David Moyes’ tough start to his Manchester United tenure isn’t getting any favors from the football gods.
The Scotsman has revealed his club is dealing with a number of injuries to key players following the international break.
The most painful of the bunch (see what I did there?) is that of Robin van Persie, who has picked up a calf problem on international duty and could miss out this weekend against Southampton. He was substituted off at halftime in the Netherland’s 2-0 win over Turkey.
The 30-year-old Dutch striker has already missed a match earlier this season with an injury, the clash with rivals Manchester City in which United fell 4-1.
In addition, Tom Cleverley will definitely be unavailable for selection after injuring his groin on duty for England.
And finally, the most serious of the bunch is Marouane Fellaini’s wrist injury. He banged it up in United’s match with Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League earlier in October.
According to Moyes, there is somewhat serious ligament and bone damage, but Fellaini can wait to have surgery for up to two years on the wrist and play through the pain. He’s been wearing a wrist protector since the injury.
“It is quite a bad wrist injury” said Moyes. “There is a bit of bone and ligament sticking out.” Great visual, that.
The biggest issue in the former Everton midfielder may be involved with his style of play. A strong and physical presence in the midfield, Fellaini may need his arm strength at 100% to be most effective.
“You do use your arms to hold people off” said Moyes, “and we have to make sure his wrist is not suffering any more damage than it is already.”
With Cleverley out and Fellaini not entirely healthy, it will be interesting to see who Moyes goes with in the Red Devils’ midfield this weekend.
NBC News is reporting that at least 19 people have been killed and another 50 are injured following a possible suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.
Multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials who are monitoring British authorities told NBC News that preliminary reports indicate that a single explosion took place outside the arena on the southwest side opposite the train station. The explosion occurred as the concert ended, catching people as they exited.
Soccer personalities around the world are reacting to the horrible event.
If you didn’t realize Juan Cuadrado still belonged to Chelsea, you’re forgiven.
The Colombian attacker will complete his second season at Juventus after the UEFA Champions League Final against Real Madrid, and won’t be headed back to Chelsea afterwards.
Juve has purchased Cuadrado, and the fee is $22 million, and Juve will pay it over three seasons. Cuadrado, 28, is now signed through 2020 with The Old Lady.
Cuadrado first went on loan to Juve in Aug. 2015, and has eight goals and 18 assists in 83 career appearances with the club.
Chelsea bought Cuadrado from Fiorentina for around $32 million in the January 2015 transfer window, but made just 14 appearances with the club.
Sky Sports is reporting that Jermain Defoe may head back to the south of England following Sunderland’s relegation.
Defoe, 34, spent two seasons with Portsmouth between 2008-09, scoring 15 goals in 31 appearances.
[ MORE: ‘The Moment’ of each PL club’s season ]
The 56-times capped England striker had a clause in his Sunderland contract allowing him to leave the Stadium of Light were the Black Cats to be relegated, as they were this season. He’d have little interest in dropping into the Championship given his desire to stay a part of the England squad ahead of the 2018 World Cup.
Bournemouth’s strike corps includes Joshua King, who scored the most goals of any player not on a Top Seven side this season. King’s 16 goals were one more than Defoe’s 15, though the latter scored just one goal following a brace against Crystal Palace on Feb. 4.
Antonio Conte took league and national honors from the League Managers Association on Monday night.
The Chelsea boss was named Premier League Manager of the Year and Manager of the Year after leading the Blues to the PL title and an FA Cup Final in his first year on the job.
Brighton and Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton nabbed another Championship boss of the year award after leading the Gulls to the Premier League. He also won the honor with Newcastle United in 2010.
The League One winner is Chris Wilder of Sheffield United. Wilder won the honor with Northampton Town last season.
In League Two, Paul Cook of Portsmouth was named the winner.