Following yet another disappointing display from his Manchester United side in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Southampton, United boss David Moyes felt his side didn’t take advantage of the chances they created.
Both Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie hit the crossbar and United found Southampton ‘keeper Artur Boruc in top form, as the Saints rallied back to nick a late goal in the 89th minute. After yet another slack display, the Red Devils remain in eighth spot with just 11 points from their opening eight games.
Moyes’ start to his managerial career at Old Trafford continues to be patchy, as United have lost three drawn two and won three of their first eight PL games this campaign. The 50-year-old Scot was disappointed that he side couldn’t defend from set-piece.
“We had the opportunities to go 2-0 up,” Moyes said. “They had been knocking on the door but I thought we would see it out. But if you don’t defend a corner well enough, there’s always a chance they will score. We had a couple of good chances where we could have finished them off and if we had scored a second it would’ve put the game to bed, but 1-0 is always a dangerous scoreline.”
(MORE: Manchester United 1-1 Southampton – Late equalizer hands Saints deserved draw)
And despite the away side being in the ascendancy for most of the second half, Southampton had 18 shots to United’s 12 and enjoyed 54 percent of the possession, Moyes felt Manchester United were never under the cosh.
“I thought Southampton hadn’t really tested us, they had a lot of the ball,” Moyes said. “They had a good chance in the first half, but I thought we had done a job on them.”
But yet again United let points slip cheaply, as they’re now eight points behind leaders Arsenal and the pack assembling at the top of the league.
Moyes’ men must do better. Once again.
Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.
[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]
The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.
Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.
Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.
“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”
The Gunners have been heavily criticized for not spending enough during the transfer season, however, Arsene Wenger has gotten the man he wanted to help out defensively.
[ MORE: Rooney retiring from England after 2018 World Cup ]
Arsenal announced the signing of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday, after the German centerback had been previously been linked to the club for some time as their top transfer target.
Mustafi will likely figure immediately into the Arsenal defense, which has also added Rob Holding this summer. The 24-year-old made over 64 appearances for Valencia while in La Liga after beginning his academy career in England with Everton.
Hope Solo hasn’t had the best couple of weeks since the U.S. Women’s National Team bailed out of the 2016 Olympics.
On Tuesday, the U.S. keeper announced her decision to take a step back from her club team as well after receiving a six-month ban from U.S. Soccer.
The veteran American shot stopper took to Twitter to make her decision known, leaving her status unknown with the Seattle Reign in the future. Solo remains under contract until the end of the current campaign, however, it is not known as to how her decision to sit out will affect her financially.
Solo wil be eligible to return to the USWNT in February, but it will be up to head coach Jill Ellis to reintroduce the 35-year-old into the fold.
U.S. Men’s National Team and LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes will miss the rest of the MLS regular season with a broken bone in his right foot.
It was initially believed on Monday that the U.S. attacker could be out until the end of 2016 after suffering the injury in Saturday’s 0-0 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Zardes was taken down by Whitecaps defender Kendall Waston during the latter stages of the match, with the Costa Rican apparently catching the inside of the 24-year-old’s foot, ultimately causing the injury.
Because of his extended absence, Zardes was ruled out of consideration for the USMNT squad ahead of their upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago.