Seattle Sounders v Real Salt Lake - Western Conference Semifinals

Sounders coach Sigi Schmid sounds a bit defensive

6 Comments

Seattle Sounders manager let the sarcasm and snark fly Tuesday as he defended his team – and presumably himself.

Thanks to The Seattle Times writer/blogger Joshua Mayers for Tweeting out Schmid’s remarks. Mayers remarked that Schmid didn’t even allow the first question to be asked by a gathering of reporters before launching his defense:

I want to apologize that we didn’t win five in a row at the end of the season to make the playoffs. I know [you are] only considered a playoff team if you win five in a row, but I’d rather be in the playoffs than be in San Jose’s shoes, where they win a lot of games at the end and they don’t make the playoffs. To make the playoffs, you have to get points at some point in the season. We got our points in the middle of the season. We didn’t start off well early, we haven’t so far finished well. But at the end of the day, we got enough points to get into the playoffs.”

Schmid  is clearly feeling the proverbial hot stuff. And there’s more going on here than just Seattle’s late-season collapse itself; the team has lost four in a row and is winless in its last six.

Schmid’s remarks come a day after owner Joe Roth’s odd, uh, “defense” of his manager. On the one hand, Roth made it quite clear to SI.com’s Grant Wahl that he wasn’t happy about the team’s surprising conk out toward regular season’s end. “No excuses,” Roth told Wahl. “Every team has injuries and national team call-ups. We haven’t got it done.”

But then he said it wasn’t Schmid’s fault.

So … it’s … uh … I dunno … the beer vendors’ fault? Or is it Drew Carey’s fault?

Just having some fun here.

Again, courtesy of Mayers – that dude is seriously on the ball – Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer offered a slightly more detailed spin of the blame wheel:  “I do agree with Joe. If we’re placing blame, there’s plenty to go around, from Joe and Adrian as owners — I gave you the list — to Adrian as general manager and his team of scouts and getting the players, coaching, medical, sports science, players, staff, business side. We can go down the list, and everybody can do a little bit better. And again, in the offseason, that’s our job — to figure out where we can optimize and tweak and get better and hopefully avoid some of the inconsistencies.”

So, back to Schmid’s sarcastic rant … one that, if we’re being honest, fans probably don’t want to hear. While he correct about points being points, he sounds a bit tone deaf and even dismissive of fans’ legitimate concern here.

US women will host Switzerland twice in October

BRASILIA, BRAZIL - AUGUST 12:  Alex Morgan #13 of United States celebrates her goal to tie the game with teammates Mallory Pugh #2, Crystal Dunn #16 and Carli Lloyd #10 in the second half against Sweden during the Women's Football Quarterfinal match at Mane Garrincha Stadium on Day 7 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on August 12, 2016 in Brasilia, Brazil.  (Photo by Celso Junior/Getty Images)
Celso Junior/Getty Images
Leave a comment

CHICAGO (AP) The U.S. women’s national team will host Switzerland for two matches this October in Minneapolis and Utah.

The matches for the defending World Cup champions are set for Oct. 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, and at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Oct. 23.

The U.S. team has played Switzerland just twice before, with the Americans winning both matches.

The United States is also facing Thailand on Sept. 15 in Columbus, Ohio, before playing the Netherlands in Atlanta on Sept. 18.

The team will be without goalkeeper Hope Solo, who was suspended from the team for six months following comments she made at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. The United States was ousted by Sweden in the quarterfinals for the team’s earliest-ever exit at the Olympics.

Report: Florentin Pogba could join brother in Premier League

Florentin Pogba
Leave a comment

Just incase you were unaware, there’s another Pogba. And he too could be playing in the Premier League very soon.

[ MORE: Could David Luiz be making a return to Stamford Bridge? ]

While it was Paul Pogba that stole the spotlight when he returned to Manchester United for a world-record transfer fee, Florentin — his 26-year-old brother — is drawing interest from England’s top flight.

According to the Sun, David Moyes and Sunderland are launching an $8.5 million bid for the St Etienne defender as a potential replacement for Lamine Kone. The Black Cats still anticipate that Kone will exit the Stadium of Light this season after handing in a transfer request earlier this month.

Pogba has played with the Ligue 1 club since 2012 after joining from lower-division club Sedan. Additionally, the centerback has made 13 appearances for Guinea at the international level.

Transfer rumor roundup: Luiz to return to Chelsea? Spurs interesting in Isco

FBL-ENG-PR-FULHAM-CHELSEA
Leave a comment

In a shocking twist, Chelsea could be prepared to bring back a former defender.

The Blues are reportedly lining up a bid for Brazilian central defender David Luiz, who exited the club two years ago to head to Paris Saint-Germain in Ligue 1. According to Daily Mail, Chelsea would pay up to roughly $41 million for the PSG centerback.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Back in 2014, Chelsea received an astounding $65 million for Luiz from the French champions, but he has quickly grown out of favor with the club.

New manager Antonio Conte is looking to sure up the backline before end of the transfer window, and Luiz appears to be a final effort to do that after missing out on several defenders, including Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly.


AS is reporting that Tottenham could be in for Real Madrid midfielder Isco.

While Spurs currently boast one of the youngest and most promising teams in the Premier League, Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly keen on adding another playmaker into the fold as Isco’s future in Madrid is unknown.

Isco would leave on a loan deal, and while Spurs are seen as a contender for the Spaniard, Malaga is said to be interested in the player as well.


Manchester City defender Eliaquim Mangala could be on his way to Porto after joining the English side two years ago.

According to the Guardian, the 25-year-old would likely return to the Portuguese side on loan after disappointing for the Citizens since his arrival in 2014.

With the addition of John Stones this summer, Mangala has fallen further down the pecking order with new manager Pep Guardiola.

Calum Chambers joins Middlesbrough on loan

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 30: Calum Chambers of Arsenal and Scott Arfield of Burnley compete for the ball  during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Arsenal and Burnley at Emirates Stadium on January 30, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images)
Paul Gilham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.

[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]

The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.

Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.

Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.

“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”