Malaga's coach Pellegrini is pictured before Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund in Dortmund

Manuel Pellegrini slams pitch ahead of Manchester City’s Champions League clash with CSKA Moscow

Leave a comment

Ahead of a tricky trip to Russia on Wednesday to face CSKA Moscow (12pm ET, reaction to come on ProSoccerTalk) in a pivotal Champions League tie, Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini isn’t happy with the playing surface.

Not at all.

The 62-year-old Chilean manager, whose side were humbled at home 3-1 by Bayern Munich in their last Champions League outing, believes the grass pitch heavily doused with sand in the Russian capital is unplayable and hampers his sides chances of success.

“I have just seen the pitch and I think it is unbelievable that the most important cup competition in the world is allowed to stage a game on such a surface,” Pellegrini said. “We must pray on Wednesday that it is not raining because if it is it will be impossible to play on this pitch. I honestly believe it could be called off if we get more rain.”

(MORE: Champions League Preview – Elite’s meet in Madrid, City’s big group stage test)

So far on Wednesday rain has not threatened the game further, however Pellegrini still strongly asserts his belief that the issues with the pitch must be addressed.

“Of course I am surprised it is going ahead, especially as they were not allowed to play their other game here against Plzen and had to switch it to St Petersburg,” Pellegrini said. “I think the people from UEFA who reviewed the pitch should have said without hesitation that it was not acceptable.”

Injuries to his players was at the forefront of Pellegrini’s mind, but he does believe the poor surface will ruin the spectacle, especially as City prefer to caress the call around with panache, rather than a long ball approach they’ll have to take more often than not on Wednesday.

“As long as it is not raining there will be no risk of injury for the players but the fact is it is not a grass pitch. When I saw it I didn’t believe my eyes. This is the most important competition in the world and the people watching, as well as the two teams, deserve something better.”

City, who looked slick and back to their best during their 3-1 demolition of West Ham on Saturday, know back-to-back wins against CSKA will seem them almost guarantee a spot in the UCL knockout stages, something Roberto Mancini failed to do in the last two seasons.

Yet the tricky surface will make City’s task of picking up three points even more difficult. With the likes of David Silva, Yaya Toure, Samir Nasri et al. preferring to play on a smooth surface and knock the ball about, you can understand Pellegrini being irked.

A long midweek trip East to Moscow, sandwiched in between tough league games against West Ham and Chelsea, isn’t exactly ideal in the first place.

Pellegrini’s anger about the pitch is intriguing and it certainly hits home how reliant modern teams, and especially City, are on having a nice pitch to play on. But given his mind games at the weekend, more on that in the latest Premier League Playback, is the Citizens’ boss simply setting up excuses if his team fail to bring back the win from Moscow?

I fear Pellegrini is protecting his players against a potentially damaging defeat, but using the pitch as an excuse really shouldn’t cut it with City’s supporters.

Success in the Champions League is long overdue. Dodgy pitch or not, Pellegrini’s side need to get their heads down and do the business.

Lets see how this one goes…

MLS Snapshot: New York Red Bulls 4-0 FC Dallas (video)

HARRISON, NJ - NOVEMBER 29:  Felipe Martins #8 of New York Red Bulls drives around Federico Higuain #10 of Columbus Crew during their match at Red Bull Arena on November 29, 2015 in Harrison, New Jersey.  (Photo by Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)
Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The game in 100 words (or less): Is it too early to say the Red Bulls have their mojo back? While FC Dallas will be leaving Harrison dazed and confused, the Red Bulls found success offensively for the second consecutive match, while also shutting out a potent attack. Head coach Jesse Marsch recently said that the Red Bulls’ win over Orlando City could spark a positive chain reaction moving forward, and it appears he was right. The Red Bulls looked dangerous every time they came down the Dallas end, finding the back of the net four times. Dallas still holds the top spot in the Western Conference, while New York makes a jump in the East, now sitting on nine points this season.

[ MORE: Previewing Week 9 around MLS ]

Three moments that mattered

37′ — Clever Red Bulls free kick finished by Sam — After two players ran over the ball, Sacha Kljestan’s chip to the far post was perfectly placed toward the run of Sal Zizzo. The right back nodded it into the center, where Lloyd Sam smashed the close-range chance home for the Red Bulls opener.

52′ — Kljestan doubles lead in style — Sam continued his impressive night for the Red Bulls after a long-range effort struck the bar from 40 yards out. Sacha Kljestan’s hustle put him in the right place at the right time and slid in to head the ball into the open net. FC Dallas keeper Jesse Gonzalez made his best effort but the initial shot’s bounce threw him off.

71′ — Grella heads home third — Sam was arguably the most dangerous man on the pitch Friday night, and he was directly involved in New York’s third goal. The 31-year-old found himself down the right wing, before laying the ball off to Felipe. The Brazilian crossed the ball into a striding Grella, who headed the ball home, giving Gonzalez no chance.

82′ — Felipe concludes the rout  — The Brazilian got in on the action for the fourth time on the night. The central midfielder received the ball at the top of the box from rookie Alex Muyl, before ripping a effort to the top corner. Gonzalez managed to get a hand to it, but Felipe’s shot was too strong to keep out.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverageStandings | Stats | Schedule ]

Man of the match: Lloyd Sam

Goalscorers: Lloyd Sam (37′), Sacha Kljestan (52′), Mike Grella (71′), Felipe (82′)

Follow @MattReedFutbol

Crotone promoted to Serie A for 1st time in its history

CROTONE, ITALY - APRIL 23: Team of Crotone celebrate after the Serie B match between FC Crotone and Como Calcio  at Stadio Comunale Ezio Scida on April 23, 2016 in Crotone, Italy.  (Photo by Maurizio Lagana/Getty Images)
Maurizio Lagana/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MODENA, Italy (AP) Crotone secured promotion to Italy’s top flight for the first time in its history Friday, drawing 1-1 at Modena in Serie B to spark scenes of celebration in the Calabrian city.

[ MORE: Preliminary Brazilian Copa America roster features Kaka, Coutinho ]

There are three rounds remaining but a point was enough to guarantee Ivan Juric’s team will finish in the top two in the second division and earn automatic promotion to Serie A.

Cagliari is second, seven points behind Crotone, with Trapani eight points further back.

Davide Luppi gave Modena the lead in the 17th minute but former Juventus and Italy forward Raffaele Palladino leveled with a penalty on the stroke of halftime.

Around 1,200 fans had travelled to Modena, while thousands of people are celebrating in the streets of Crotone, where there were two giant screens set up for fans to watch the match.

It is Juric’s first season in charge of Crotone. The former Croatia midfielder also spent five years as a player for Crotone, before moving to Genoa in 2006.

The Stadio Ezio Scida, where Crotone plays its home matches, holds less than 10,000 people.

Fellow minnows Carpi and Frosinone were promoted to Serie A for the first time in their history last season.

Carpi is currently three points above the drop zone, while Frosinone is five points from safety.

Arsene Wenger deserves criticism amid Arsenal fan protests

HULL, ENGLAND - MARCH 08:  Arsene Wenger, Manager of Arsenal reacts during the Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round Replay match between Hull City and Arsenal at KC Stadium on March 8, 2016 in Hull, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Now in his 20th season with the club, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has taken heat for failing to guide the team to success, or at least not in the form of trophies.

[ MORE: Van Gaal says Leicester will have to earn title against Man United ]

Arsenal supporters have arranged a protest for Saturday’s match against Norwich City, and that hasn’t been too pleasing for the team’s coach.

[ VIDEO: Previewing every Premier League match for Week 36 ]

Are the fans right though? Should they be protesting the club’s lack of success?

The Gunners, who currently sit third in the Barclays Premier League as the season winds down, have been eliminated from the title race, something that has eluded the club since the 2003-04 campaign.

The only title that Arsenal has won since that season is the FA Cup, which they captured in back-to-back seasons (2013-14 and 2014-15).

In all, Wenger has captured nine trophies while with Arsenal, but only the FA Cup crowns have come in the past decade. Consistent top four finishes have aided the Frenchman’s chances of staying with the team, but now scrutiny is really taking shape amongst the Gunners supporters.

Wenger recently tried defending his lack of titles by citing the club’s financial struggles that resulted from Arsenal’s move to the Emirates Stadium in 2006.

“You have to remember that when we built the stadium we had 5-7 difficult financial years when we had to pay back,” Wenger said earlier at a news conference. “And I think the club is now out of that period and is in a much stronger position. It is today in a position where we can compete again financially with our main opponents. But during that time it was very difficult.”

While his position in regards to the club’s finances may have played a bit of a factor, Arsenal still spends money like the rest of England’s top clubs.

Current players in the squad such as Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil didn’t come cheap, and while injuries have hampered the team’s success, Wenger is truly running out of excuses with the squad that lies in front of him.

Additionally, the team’s failure to find success in the most important competition of them all, the UEFA Champions League, has fans extremely antsy, and rightfully so.

Under Wenger, the Gunners have made it to the Champions League just twice and in neither case was Arsenal able to hoist the trophy. The Champions League is undoubtedly one of the most difficult competitions to find success in, but the club has exited the tournament in the Round of 16 during five straight seasons.

[ MORE: Preliminary Brazil roster features Kaka, Coutinho ]

Wenger will likely be retained next season, but the leash for the 66-year old is wearing thin. With Antonio Conte and Pep Guardiola entering new positions at Chelsea and Manchester City, respectively, it’s fair to say that Wenger’s days could be numbered if he doesn’t secure any title in 2016-17.

Follow @MattReedFutbol

Coutinho, Kaka headline preliminary Brazil roster for Copa America

FBL-US-COLUMBIA-BRAZIL
DON EMMERT/AFP/Getty Images
1 Comment

It appears that Neymar won’t be the only big name missing from Brazil’s star-studded squad this summer at the Copa America Centenario.

[ VIDEO: Previewing every Week 36 match around the Premier League ]

The Selecao revealed their preliminary 40-man roster for this summer’s competition, and it includes Orlando City midfielder Kaka, Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho and Douglas Costa of Bayern Munich.

[ MORE: PST discusses how Leicester has gotten to the verge of an epic title ]

Chelsea pair Willian and Oscar also made the initial cut, in addition to Liverpool midfielder Roberto Firminho, who is coming off of a stellar season for Liverpool.

Among the biggest snubs for Brazil are a trio of defenders. Paris Saint-Germain duo Thiago Silva and David Luiz were each left off, while Real Madrid wing back Marcelo was also left out of the side.

Head coach Dunga will be forced to cut his roster down to 23 before the tournament starts for the Brazilians on June 4. The Selecao will take on Ecuador, Haiti and Peru in Group B play.

You can view the entire roster below:

Follow @MattReedFutbol