Three points, few answers for Manchester United in Champions League

1 Comment

Coming into today’s match, the performances was as important as the result. It’s a sentiment David Moyes echoed in his pre-match news conference, explaining his team had trained well in the days leading up to Manchester United’s Champions League meeting with Real Sociedad. The end goal: Translate their best moments into actual goals, hopefully leaving themselves beyond the reach of the type of one-off moments that saw them drop points this weekend to Southampton.

Despite Wednesday’s 1-0 win over Sociedad, United failed to meet that standard. Iñigo Martínez’s second minute own goal ended up deciding the match, even if close calls from Antonio Valencia and Phil Jones almost gave United insurance. Still, as the second half went on and Real Sociedad continued to find room to build through the midfield, this game had the feeling of what’s become a typical Manchester United performance. Had Sociedad played better, we would have seen a repeat of this weekend’s result.

That’s not to say there weren’t positives. Wayne Rooney, except for a poor finish in the second half, was fabulous. It’s a pleasure to see him reclaim this status. Phil Jones and Jonny Evans helped keep a clean sheet, and Antonio Valencia was his typical (if limited) self down the right flank. Nobody ever said Manchester United were a bad team, hence their lead in their Champions League group (up two points on Bayer Leverkusen).

But for Moyes, there seem to be four big problems. First, he’s conceded the team need to be better, thus confirming the problem. Second, looking at the squad he’s inherited, it’s impossible to disagree. United’s is a very talented squad. Third, even if you wanted to nit-pick as to how talented they are, last year’s league title provides some evidence of their quality. But finally,  and perhaps most damning, this team’s playing with the exact same approach Moyes instilled at Everton. This is top-table talent performing with mid-table mentality.

The one caveat when looking at today’s performance is the starting XI. There was no Robin van Persie. Marouane Fellaini was out. Adnan Januzaj was given the day off, and neither Nemanja Vidic nor Rio Ferdinand were in the middle of defense. This wasn’t unlike a team Alex Ferguson, implicitly dismissive of group stage challenges, would have chosen, with a close call result to match.

In that sense, it would be too hard on Moyes if we saw this as the extension of something bigger, though the bottom line remains the same. The United boss wanted a different kind of performance from his team, and he didn’t get. Whether that’s an extension of the manager’s mentality, the team still  failed to meet their goals. We saw progress in the win column but not the performance.

Barcelona GM: “We’re close to signing Coutinho, Dembele”

Philippe Coutinho
Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Barcelona did not post a magical comeback versus Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup second leg, instead losing 5-1 on aggregate after Wednesday’s 2-0 loss at the Bernabeu.

[ MORE: Barcelona falls to Real… again ]

But perhaps the celebrated La Liga club has worked some wizardry in the transfer market, with not one but two big targets “close” to the Camp Nou.

Barca general manager Josep “Pep” Segura was on television after the match, and noted Spanish football expert Sid Lowe relays his words: Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho and Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele are coming to Barca, “but until it’s closed I can’t say anything.”

Well, you just said something about it, so what gives.

Now before anyone freaks out at Anfield or Westfalenstadion, this is a man speaking after a relatively embarrassing performance for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Segura could simply be treading water for new manager Ernesto Valverde after his club was simply worked over in 120 minutes versus its El Clasico rivals.

VIDEO: Asensio, Real Madrid outclass out-of-sorts Barca; PSG trolls?

Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images
2 Comments

This one wasn’t even close, and is going to instantly have many Barcelona fans wondering if the loss of Neymar is going to be too much for Ernesto Valverde to handle.

Real Madrid rode a stunning Marco Asensio strike to a 2-0 first half lead at the Bernabeu on Wednesday en route to a 5-1 aggregate win over Barcelona in the Spanish Super Cup.

It’s Real’s 10th Spanish Super Cup, and first since 2012.

[ MORE: Bacca to Villarreal ]

Karim Benzema also scored in the opening frame, which saw Barca looking out of sorts and rudderless.

As in the first leg in Barcelona, the Blaugranas had their moments but failed to show sharpness and class against the reigning La Liga and UEFA Champions League winners.

Lionel Messi hit the crossbar, Luis Suarez headed off the post. The second half wasn’t producing a magic comeback.

Both teams kick off their La Liga seasons on Sunday, with Barca hosting Real Betis and Real off to Deportivo de la Coruna.

Meanwhile, it seems like PSG spent the afternoon trolling Barca, first posting a shot of ex-Blaugranas stars Dani Alves and Neymar training, and then an incredulous Neymar accompanied by a laughing emoji.

Carlos Bacca joins Villarreal, Boateng leaves Las Palmas

Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MADRID (AP) Colombia striker Carlos Bacca joined Spanish club Villarreal on loan from AC Milan on Wednesday.

Villarreal said the one-season loan agreement includes the option to buy the player at the end of the season.

Bacca returns to a Spanish league where the 30-year-old forward flourished in two seasons at Sevilla before joining Milan in 2015.

[ MORE: UCL Wednesday wrap ]

Bacca has made 39 appearances for Colombia, scoring 13 goals. According to Villarreal, he has scored 165 career goals in 336 matches. He scored 14 goals for Milan last season.

Elsewhere in Spain, Las Palmas announced that Kevin-Prince Boateng was leaving the club after both sides agreed to end his contract two days before its season opener.

Las Palmas said that Boateng was leaving due to “personal reasons of an irreversible nature.” The club thanked the former AC Milan standout for his “professionalism” that he displayed during his single season on the Canary Islands.

Las Palmas opens the Spanish league season on Friday at Valencia.

Man City has $23 million Evans bid shot down by WBA

Photo by Stanley Chou/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Could Jonny Evans be the latest player to cross Manchester’s red and blue divide, albeit with a stop in between?

Reports Wednesday say West Bromwich Albion has rejected a $23 million Manchester City bid for the Northern Irish center back.

[ MORE: UCL Wednesday wrap ]

$23 million? That’s like 40 percent of a Kyle Walker!

Evans, 29, is the Baggies captain and a key piece of the club’s aims to continue its long stay in the Premier League.

He joined Manchester United’s academy at age 16 and stayed at Old Trafford through 2015, taking loan opportunities at Royal Antwerp and Sunderland on the way.

At United, Evans won three Premier League titles and two League Cups, and also has a Championship win from one of his two stints at Sunderland.

The 61-times capped Belfast native would give City a key component for Premier League play along with a center back corps of Nicolas Otamendi, Vincent Kompany, and John Stones. Eliaquim Mangala completes their veteran depth, and is certainly City’s weakest position.

Would West Brom sell at any reasonable price? The Baggies are not deep at center back, either — not too many clubs are — and will be in a boatload of trouble without Evans. And given the transfer market, finding a proper replacement at under $30 million is going to be difficult (Reread that sentence. What a summer).

It’s another argument for the transfer window closing before the start of the season.