Martin Jol: We could have gone away with a hammering today

Leave a comment

SOUTHAMPTON — Fulham boss Martin Jol conceded his side were outplayed by Southampton at St. Mary’s on Saturday, and admitted he felt a real hiding could’ve played out after a poor first half display saw the Cottagers lose 2-0.

“The first half I felt we could have gone away with a hammering today,” Jol said. “And to come away with a 0-0 the second half was the only good thing.”

Jol, who saw his side completely dominated from start to finish as Southampton completed 549 passes compared with 234 by Fulham, the Saints also had 67% possession and out-shot Fulham 20-2.

Fulham’s Dutch manager was disappointed.

“It was disappointing, you know?” Jol continued. “We had a problem with Adam Lallana up front and the rotation with Jay Rodriguez and Rickie Lambert. But that had nothing to do with the goals. One goal was from a corner kick again and a cross with a flick on. That was disappointing. To come back into a game Southampton [will be hard] as you know they have only conceded three goals up until now, so it’s never easy.”

(MORE: Mauricio Pochettino hails Southampton, believes “the sky is the limit”)

Fulham were toothless in the first half, as they failed to threaten Southampton’s goal and the Saints won every second ball across the park as a relentless tide of red shirts kept storming forward. A defensive switch at half time made things slightly better, but Fulham were already 2-0 down.

source: Getty Images
Fulham were outplayed by the Saints, while offensively Berbatov and Bent didn’t have a sniff.

“I thought after the first half we really had to repair the damage and that is what we tried to do with Aaron Hughes,” Jol said. “That helped a bit because we couldn’t defend well because Lallana drifted infield and Sascha Riether stayed out so we had a little problem defensively.”

Going forward, Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent were relative bystanders for most of the game as the Cottagers looked disjointed and devoid of ideas going forward. After the confidence-boosting 4-1 win against Crystal Palace on Monday, it’s hard to see why that was the case.

(MORE: Southampton 2-0 Fulham – Dominant display sends Saints third)

Steve Sidwell’s effort in the 81st minute, a tame overhead flick towards goal over his shoulder, was greeted by cheers and jeers from the traveling Fulham fans. They sarcastically sang “one shot, we’ve only had one shot” as a performance lacing any real cutting edge and attacking impetus highlighted their weaknesses.

“They pressed us well, but you not only need good player up front, but at the back as well,” Jol said. “My ‘keeper tried to play football and he shouldn’t. Even Manchester United couldn’t get out of the half against them last week. Even my best players today were not aggressive enough to get the ball. I think it’s disappointing for them [Southampton] that they didn’t score more than two goals.”

USMNT: Brooks out with hip strain; World Cup qualifiers loom

AP Photo/Michael Sohn
Leave a comment

John Brooks is out of Hertha Berlin’s lineup “for the time being” after scans revealed a hip strain suffered in this weekend’s win over Wolfsburg.

That’s all Hertha has said, and that makes it hard to imagine whether American fans should be a little concerned or very concerned ahead of the USMNT’s World Cup qualifiers against Mexico, and Trinidad and Tobago in early June.

Brooks was unavailable for two weeks with an adductor strain in September, missing a month before returning to the starting lineup.

The U.S. center back pool isn’t teeming after Brooks and Geoff Cameron. Matt Besler, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, and Walker Zimmerman were called up for the last World Cup qualifiers, and Gonzalez struggled but is a Bruce Arena favorite from their time in L.A.

WATCH: Snazzy Sargent goal leads U.S. U-17s past Mexico

twitter.com/_joshsargent_
Leave a comment

Josh Sargent scored a pretty goal as the United States Soccer program had another banner day against Mexico.

Nearly two months to the day after the U.S. U-20 side beat Mexico for the first time in 31 years, the U.S. U-17 topped El Tri for the first time ever. That win snapped Mexico’s 25-match unbeaten streak.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

The goal is the first of Sargent’s two goals, as the 16-year-old latched onto a long diagonal ball and used his right foot and head to move the ball into position for a strong shot.

The U.S. clinches a spot in the next round of U-17 World Cup qualifying with one match remaining in group play.

Sargent is from St. Louis and plays with Scott Gallagher-Missouri. Former Philadelphia Union coach John Hackworth coaches the U.S. U-17s.

Heads of South American soccer sent $128M in bank transfers

AP Photo/Esteban Felix
Leave a comment

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) The leaders of South America’s soccer confederation transferred $128.6 million between 2000 and 2015 to personal accounts, suspicious accounts, or unauthorized third-party accounts, according to an audit released Wednesday by Ernst & Young.

According to the audit presented to the annual CONMEBOL congress in the Chilean capital, the confederation’s former president Nicolas Leoz transferred $26.9 million to his personal accounts. Leoz was the president for 27 years until resigning in 2013 for what he said were health reasons.

The audit also found $58 million in payments “to third parties without adequate documentation,” payments of $33.3 million to “unidentified accounts,” and $10.4 million to “suspicious third-parties.”

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

“We had said that we would have four pillars, and the first two pillars were clear accounts and accountability,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of CONMEBOL who commissioned the audit last year. “Today we are accountable to the leaders and the whole world of football.”

Leoz, 88, is one of three ex-presidents of CONMEBOL accused on corruption charges by the United States Department of Justice. He is in Paraguay fighting extradition to the United States.

The South American body has been plagued by corruption, which was exposed two years ago during the FIFA scandal. Leoz’s two successors, Eugenio Figueredo and Juan Angel Napout, were both arrested on corruption charges.

“I’m here, I’m the manager” – Moyes will not quit Sunderland

Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

This has been one horrible stretch for David Moyes.

The Sunderland manager probably thought he’d been through the worst once he left Real Sociedad, where he went 12-15-15.

But he’s managed just seven wins and seven draws in 38 matches in charge of the Black Cats — an 18 percent win mark. He’s also been charged for threatening to slap a female journalist.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

And after Wednesday, Moyes has lost both of his derby matches against Middlesbrough.

Sunderland is 12 points back of safety with five matches left. The odds the Black Cats are headed for the Championship are somewhere north of 99 percent, and fans are calling for his job.

Well, he isn’t quitting. From the BBC:

“No, I’m here, I’m the manager, you take it on the chin. … I’m a football supporter, I know what it’s like. You don’t like seeing your team lose.

“There is nobody who wants to win more than me. I am used to winning, I’m not used to losing and I don’t want to get used to it either.”