Bruce Arena: ‘I don’t know if anyone has the formula’ for MLS playoff success

1 Comment

Los Angeles Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena insisted on Thursday that all he knows for sure about the Major League Soccer playoffs is that teams have to make the postseason to win.

“Half the battle is making it,” he said in a conference call with reporters. “This year was very competitive from start to finish in the league, as we know.”

His opponent in the Western Conference semifinals, Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis, was quick to praise the former United States boss.

“Bruce is the best coach in the history of soccer in this country,” Kreis said. “There’s no question that he gets it right, and he gets it right at the right time, otherwise he wouldn’t have [four] MLS Cups to his name already.”

In their four championships (two with Arena), the Galaxy have finished as high as first in the conference and as low as fourth. Last year, Los Angeles squeaked by the Vancouver Whitecaps, 2-1, in the play-in game before making a run to lift their second MLS Cup in a row.

The team they beat, the Houston Dynamo, finished fifth in the East last year. In 2013, the Galaxy finished in the middle of the Western Conference playoff pack, in third.

“I think part of the reason for our performances not being as consistent as I’d like [all season] is, we’ve just had a difficult time this year getting our whole group together for any extended period of time, but as of late, we’ve been able to do that with a little bit more consistency,” he said. “It’s obviously helped us.”

Los Angeles finished the season with just two losses since July 27 after losing three of their five games in both May and June. In that stretch, the team climbed from seventh in the conference to their final third-placed spot.

Arena has been vocal in his disapproval of MLS’s schedule during international breaks, when he stands to lose much of the spine of his starting lineup, with Landon Donovan, Omar González (United States), Jaime Penedo (Panama) and Robbie Keane (Ireland) frequently featuring for their countries.

Perhaps the league working around the November international dates bodes well for the Galaxy in the playoffs, even if it makes for some awkward scheduling.

“I think it’s going to be real difficult for the teams,” Arena said. “Recovery time is very difficult in this schedule, so it’s going to be interesting. I don’t think anybody really knows how it’s going to play out.”

Kreis said the veteran experience of the Galaxy makes it a dangerous team to play in November.

“They get it,” Kreis said. “They put things together in the playoffs. They have players that have been there and done it so many times that they know what they’re capable of.”

Conte names Gary Cahill new Chelsea captain

Clive Rose/Getty Images
Leave a comment

As expected, Gary Cahill has been named Chelsea’s next skipper following the departure of long-time talisman John Terry this summer.

[ MORE: Mourinho rules out speculation of Bale joining Man United ]

While Cahill is no stranger to captaining his side — which he did for much of last season — the honor has been bestowed upon him on a full-time basis now by manager Antonio Conte as Chelsea prepares for the 2017/18 Premier League campaign.

Conte insists though that while Cahill is the man to wear the armband going forward that the rest of the squad’s elder statesman must also take on leadership roles to help guide the club as they pursue back-to-back PL crowns.

“I think also we can have other captains in our team, it could be [Cesar] Azpilicueta, [David] Luiz, and also, in the future, it could be Thibaut Courtois, Cesc Fabregas,” Conte told the Evening Standard.

“I think every single player must improve in this [being personalities in the dressing room] and take more responsibility because we lost big players and we need now to find these new players to create this fundamental for Chelsea. It is very important for our future success to create this base.”

Transfer rumor roundup: Man United to swoop for Verratti?

Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With the Premier League season lurking, several of England’s top clubs are looking to put the finishing touches on their summer with quality last-minute signings.

Manchester United has been in the market for a holding midfield this transfer window, with Chelsea’s Nemanja Matic and Eric Dier of Tottenham long linked to the Red Devils, but now another name could be made available to Jose Mourinho.

Marco Verratti is reportedly growing more and more tired at PSG, and while the Italian does still wish to move to Barcelona this summer, he would be open to signing with United if the Blaugrana don’t come calling.


Chelsea could be closing in on another young Brazilian talent, and Blues will be looking to beat out Man United and others for his services.

Fluminense forward Richarlison is the player of interest, and the Blues are prepared to duel with the Red Devils and AC Milan in order to secure the 20-year-old’s signature.


Meanwhile, Juventus is looking to Liverpool’s Emre Can to help out in the midfield after a strong season for the Reds in the Premier League.

Mourinho rules out speculation of Bale joining United

AP Photo/Tim Ireland
Leave a comment

Jose Mourinho has certainly done his best to help revamp Manchester United this summer with the additions of Romelu Lukaku and Victor Lindelof, however, one name can be ruled out from joining the Red Devils at this time.

[ MORE: West Ham signs Arnautovic for club-record fee ]

There’s been speculation for some time that Gareth Bale would return to England — and likely to United if he did make a comeback in the Premier League — but the Portuguese boss has slammed the door on those talks.

“The same [as Ronaldo],” Mourinho said when asked about Bale’s availability. “You have contacts and feelings, you understand things, and it was clear that Bale likes Madrid, the challenge and situation.

“They are in a very good situation now and I never felt a desire for him to leave, so why waste time on it? No.”

While Bale — and Cristiano Ronaldo — appear off the radar of Mourinho and Co. for now, the second-year United manager has suggested that he would like one or two more signings to be made available to him heading into the season.

Players like Nemanja Matic of Chelsea and Tottenham’s Eric Dier continue to be linked to the Red Devils, while Ivan Perisic has also been rumored to be closing in on a deal to Old Trafford.

“Names is difficult for me, the players belong to clubs and are in preseason,” he said. “The managers and owners are not happy if players talk about them — I’m the same.

“My plan for the evolution of the team, my second transfer window, was to get four players and get balance and make a better squad.

“But with the development of the market, I was getting the feedback from Mr Woodward and I repeat, the market is very difficult.

“If the club has no chance to give me the four players, I like my group and I go with them, but I still have the hope I can have a third player, and maybe a fourth.”

El Salvador players face bans after biting USMNT’s Altidore, Gonzalez

AP Photo/Matt Rourke
1 Comment

While the USMNT booked its place into the Gold Cup final on Saturday night, the team’s quarterfinal opponent was punished for the actions of some of its players.

[ MORE: Player ratings from USMNT’s 2-0 win over Costa Rica ]

The U.S. knocked off El Salvador, 2-0, on Wednesday night, but it was the malice committed by the losers that proved to be so disappointing to watch.

Americans Jozy Altidore and Omar Gonzalez were each bit by El Salvadoran players during the match, with both incidents going unnoticed during live action by the referees.

Henry Romero was given a six-match international ban, while Darwin Ceren of the San Jose Earthquakes was handed a three-match suspension for his role.

According to CONCACAF, the duo will only have to sit out “official matches,” and with El Salvador out of the running for qualification into next summer’s World Cup, the Central Americans will have some down time.